• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Any advice for a newbie?

Zeph-r

New Fan
Feb 12, 2021
I've only just downloaded Vocaloid5 and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing haha
I've done some playing around, but I'm not completely sure how to do some things and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help?
Like for example, the vocals I've put in sound rather choppy and I'm not sure how to make it sound smoother, and I'm just generally unsure of how tuning works (might there be any tutorials out there?) If someone could help me, that'd be greatly appreciated ><

___

Oct 8, 2019
  1. Look at the V5 manual for guidance, that's something I don't even see otherwise more advanced users doing and they could've saved themselves so much trouble, so I am telling you now :clara_ani_lili:
  2. Look into VPRs and and VSQx' others have tuned when starting out, maybe even just start out with just editing others' project files ( ofc with proper credit if you'll decide to upload the end results c: ).
  3. Get to know your voicebanks, not every vocaloid is the same, they won't all behave the same, speaking of choppiness: Kaori tends to be choppy on short notes because she's designed for ballads, and other such genres, and is meant to sing on long notes.
These are pretty general advices I can give ^^ and I hope their help but are there any other specific issues you're having?

Ronny777

VOCALOID5 Tuner
Dec 10, 2020
Canada
soundcloud.com
I'd suggest practicing with tuning with midi files. You can easy find them online for free using google (I've had more luck finding english songs then any other languages tbh). You can import the midi in the Vocaloid5 engine, find the part that has the melody, and get started. This gets you familiar with with how the vocaloid sings without getting too overwhelmed by other peoples VSQx'. If you need more specific advice don't hesitate to ask.

In terms of choppiness, it depends on the voicbank. I can't be specific with Japanese VB's but I do have a few tricks for english VB's. But in general, each VB has distinct phonemes that are assigned to specific phonetic symbol (english and Japanese) Not all phonemes act the same when combined. With this in mind choppiness happens when 2 of these sounds sounds are put together and react/conflict instead of blend into one another. You can counteract this by changing or adding a phoneme with a different one that makes a similar sound. (p to b) (t to d) (k to g) for consonant and you can add a j (Y sound) and the end of (i) sound and (w) at the end of (o) sound as well. English vowels can get very complicated because they don't sound the same for each Vocaloid. The best thing you can do to get used to the way your Vocaloid sounds is by taking advantage of the default library. Since you can set a word to a note, think of a word with the sound you want your vocaloid to make. Type it onto the note and it will tell you what specific phonetic symbols are used to make the sounds.

Last edited:

Zeph-r

New Fan
Feb 12, 2021
  1. Look at the V5 manual for guidance, that's something I don't even see otherwise more advanced users doing and they could've saved themselves so much trouble, so I am telling you now :clara_ani_lili:
  2. Look into VPRs and and VSQx' others have tuned when starting out, maybe even just start out with just editing others' project files ( ofc with proper credit if you'll decide to upload the end results c: ).
  3. Get to know your voicebanks, not every vocaloid is the same, they won't all behave the same, speaking of choppiness: Kaori tends to be choppy on short notes because she's designed for ballads, and other such genres, and is meant to sing on long notes.
These are pretty general advices I can give ^^ and I hope their help but are there any other specific issues you're having?
I'd suggest practicing with tuning with midi files. You can easy find them online for free using google (I've had more luck finding english songs then any other languages tbh). You can import the midi in the Vocaloid5 engine, find the part that has the melody, and get started. This gets you familiar with with how the vocaloid sings without getting too overwhelmed by other peoples VSQx'. If you need more specific advice don't hesitate to ask.

In terms of choppiness, it depends on the voicbank. I can't be specific with Japanese VB's but I do have a few tricks for english VB's. But in general, each VB has distinct phonemes that are assigned to specific phonetic symbol (english and Japanese) Not all phonemes act the same when combined. With this in mind choppiness happens when 2 of these sounds sounds are put together and react/conflict instead of blend into one another. You can counteract this by changing or adding a phoneme with a different one that makes a similar sound. (p to b) (t to d) (k to g) for consonant and you can add a j (Y sound) and the end of (i) sound and (w) at the end of (o) sound as well. English vowels can get very complicated because they don't sound the same for each Vocaloid. The best thing you can do to get used to the way your Vocaloid sounds is by taking advantage of the default library. Since you can set a word to a note, think of a word with the sound you want your vocaloid to make. Type it onto the note and it will tell you what specific phonetic symbols are used to make the sounds.
Ty!! This is very helpful and I'll try all these things ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)