• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Article about voice AI being used in games & how polarizing it is for voice actors

sketchesofpayne

Listening to Hatsune Miku since 2007
Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
My first thought is of how many video games there are that rely on text and don't even have voice actors. It also makes me consider procedurally-generated games and how useful a fully dynamic voice with realtime text to speech would be an amazing addition to such a project. Of course, independent and amateur developers could benefit from the tech. Although I imagine there would be a number of them where it would be better to have no voice rather than a poorly implemented AI synth voice.

Such technology would be great for games like Dynasty Warriors with its huge cast of characters, where the English dub of Dynasty Warriors 9 had such a rushed voice recording schedule to save time and money that it turned into a bit of a farce (no fault of the actors themselves).

I have no doubt that synthesized voice acting will turn out no differently than synthesized music vocals. It will carve out a niche for itself, but it won't be taking over the industry. I could see the actors being used for dramatic story events. Then use the synth versions of them for the mundane conversation tree dialog that most people skip through anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)