• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Clear Files

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I'm curious about clear files--those ubiquitous merch items that seem to be really popular in Japan and among anime/Japanese culture aficionados.

I think I understand the intended purpose of them--they're basically clear plastic envelopes (without the closing flap) into which people can put their papers for storage/transport. So I imagine they might be popular among kids in school as a fun way to carry their stuff. Could be they even have multiple clear files, each for a different subject or different kinds of documents.

Given the above, I've been comparing them to the folders I remember using when I was in school. Where I come from, we often use pocket folders (At least I usually did; ring binders were also popular, though you could even use the two together.). For anyone who doesn't know, pocket folders are similar to clear files. They're usually made of plastic or heavier paper, and the plastic/paper is folded or otherwise attached on the bottom edge and sides such that it makes a pocket that goes partway up. The whole thing is then folded in half so that there are two halves, with the pockets facing each other on the inside.

I'm sure it must depend on the culture to a certain extent, but to me, pocket folders seem like a better solution to the problem of carrying documents, because it seems like they would be able to hold more documents at once, and it would be easier to look back through the papers without having to completely remove them all from the folder (which you may/may not have to do, depending on how stuffed your clear file is). On the other hand, clear files are seem basically always to be made of translucent plastic, so they might offer better protection if a person were caught in the rain (which could be really helpful in Japan's climate). They might also tend to be slimmer--which is sort of just the other side of the lesser storage capacity I mentioned earlier.

So, I guess I'm just curious--why are clear files so popular? And why do they continue to be preferred over other solutions, assuming they are? (Though I guess one possible answer to the latter is obvious--sometimes people don't choose to adopt a new solution even if it's better; they opt to keep the old way for the sake of comfortability or tradition.)

BambooGarden101

現実逃避
Aug 10, 2018
La-La Land
I live in Japan, and TBH even I am not entirely sure what's the big deal about them. No doubt they're SUPER popular - you can buy them at stationery shops, 100-yen shops, gift shops in tourist attractions, and I've seen them being given away for free at college open campuses. But I can't deny that there are better ways to carry and store documents.

In my experience, the "classic" folders I grew up using (the ones with elastic bands on each side to keep the contents secure) are pretty much impossible to find here, and I can't help but wonder why they're not more popular. Maybe because they're more expensive to produce? 🤷‍♀️ Or perhaps (as you said) because people have used clear files all their lives and it's just what they're used to.
It also seems plausible that kids would like them as a fun and colourful way to carry papers and show their love for a particular character/show. (Wouldn't that be possible with a folder with flaps, though...? It might be a bit harder to incorporate a cute design but not impossible.)

I still like to collect clear files as a sort of collector's item (because cute illustrations galore!), but I must agree they're a little bit impractical. My main complaint is that they don't close, so whenever I carry one in my bag I can't help but fear that the contents will slide out and end up damaged by all the jostling and shoving against whatever's in my bag. Also they're really slim, so they can't hold a lot of papers at once (well... it is physically possible but they're more likely to fall out, as there are usually no flaps to protect them); sometimes you can find clear files with multiple compartments but they still have the same capacity.

Last edited:

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I have heard the term clear file a lot, but I always shrug it off (not a merch person). I thought what both of you said was really interesting. I never gave clear files much thought and what you said made me curious. So I decided to investigate and find out all the info that I could on how to use them.

I did find a post by someone wondering the same thing and people responded to a poll, many of them just saying they use it to store paper, display the file like a poster, or shove it into a corner to forget about it: What exactly is the purpose of clear files?

I checked the Japanese otaku side of YouTube and they like to put clear files into frames and hang them on the wall or put them into a binder held by plastic sheets like this video:

Some people have A LOT of binders full of them. One guy had over 50 clear files stacked loosely and another had 7 binders worth.

Next, I Googled the Japanese term クリアファイル and was greeted with diagrams of various sizes
19021301_03.jpg

The top part has a finger hole called a 指ぬき / yubi-nuki. The bottom has a slit-like shape called 裂け止め / Sake-tome (Weblio calls it a "ripstop"). I didn't know what that was, I guess even Japanese people don't know, because I found this article that asks "What is the triangle notch at the bottom for?"
tec02_06_img02.jpg
tec02_06_img03.jpg

It is some sort of incision meant to take the brunt of force to the folder when you open it so that the folder doesn't rip.

Apparently, making your own DIY clear files is popular, too. You can make the sizes oddly specific in order to put oddly specific things in them (ex: only credit cards, only corona masks). This YouTube channel appeared to be the most popular clear file-related Japanese channel:

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
As merchandise I think they're for the most part just collectables rather than everyday use items. Of course nothing stops you from actually using them, but at least personally I couldn't imagine actually using my clear file collection for carrying papers around (the surface would get damaged/lose it's shine overtime), instead I have folders like this with clear pockets to store them:
20200925_205739.jpg

The appeal of clear files as merchandise is that they're affordable (both to produce and buy), don't take up much space and the artwork on them is decent size. And there's tons to collect (even if a collector focuses only on Miku, the number is easily in hundreds if not thousands when you include doujin items and not only officially licensed ones). And of course some people actually use them for their intended purpose as well (storing/carrying papers).

Going to the general clear files (stationery), that's what we always used in school and work. @mobius017 , you mentioned pocket folders, they're not very common here, usually they use normal clear files (top and one side are open) everywhere based on my own experience.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I've always wondered why there was a lot of clear file merch in Japan! Some designs looks amazing/adorable, but considering how flimsy they are, I've always assumed hardly anyone who bought them actually used them for their intended purpose. (I've been using plain clear packets to stick individual papers in, then putting them away in a ring binder throughout my time at uni, and even that's kinda annoying to do all the time).

The clear pocket folder idea is clever - I like the thought of being able to look at artwork whenever I wanted to.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
It also seems plausible that kids would like them as a fun and colourful way to carry papers and show their love for a particular character/show. (Wouldn't that be possible with a folder with flaps, though...? It might be a bit harder to incorporate a cute design but not impossible.)
I would think that should be possible. I'm not sure I'm familiar with the elastic band folder, but pocket folders here have lots of different designs on them, since they're hugely (maybe not exclusively?) used by students. So you'll find cartoony/pop culture/pretty designs on them.

It is some sort of incision meant to take the brunt of force to the folder when you open it so that the folder doesn't rip.
That makes sense. I suppose the "body" of the plastic sheet would be stronger against the pulling motion from opening the folder, so it would be less likely to tear than if you applied that force to the little (heat/pressure-formed, I guess) "rivet"-ed section at the bottom that holds the two sheets together.

Going to the general clear files (stationery), that's what we always used in school and work. @mobius017 , you mentioned pocket folders, they're not very common here, usually they use normal clear files (top and one side are open) everywhere based on my own experience.
Oh, that's interesting--between this and the "triangle notch" article, I see that clear files are open on two sides. I'd thought for some reason that they were more like envelopes and were only open on one.

Hm, so clear files are also common in Finland? That's cool too! It's interesting how these ideas have spread to some places but not others.

Of course nothing stops you from actually using them, but at least personally I couldn't imagine actually using my clear file collection for carrying papers around (the surface would get damaged/lose it's shine overtime)
That's definitely true. My pocket folders were usually beat after a school year (torn, distended from being stuffed, maybe dirty on the outside from friction against my bag or against the pencil writings on the papers inside--though I don't remember even erasable pen being nearly as bad as pencil).

Thanks very much to everyone for your feedback!

BambooGarden101

現実逃避
Aug 10, 2018
La-La Land
Thank you all for your interesting contributions! I learned a lot about clear files. I never really gave them much thought... all I did was complain about how they're not as practical as the folders I knew back home, lol.

Now I can imagine that some people do see them as collectibles; as a matter of fact, I own a number of clear files that I feel bad about using because they're too cute 😅 . I just keep them in a drawer, but displaying them (or perhaps having a collection of them in some folder with clear pockets, like hamano) sounds like a good idea. Maybe I should do that.

Also, I had to look up what a pocket folder was... I don't think I ever used one in my country. As far as I'm concerned I mostly used "classic" folders (well, at least that's what I consider them) with three inner flaps and two elastic bands on each side, or a single band that stretches across the cover.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)