• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Drawing Digitally - What's Wrong With My Layers?

I drew a rough sketch on the first layer and prepared a second layer to color it. For some reason, the color doesn't show up in the drawing at all. Only in the small window in the layer settings. When I point my mouse at the small window it's empty - not white and blank, just grey and empty. The small window of the first layer shows the sketch. What's the problem???

I use Krita. This is not the first time it happened. I used Paint Tool SAI trial version before and got the same problem. I was forced to sketch and color this on one and the same layer.

Maybe the software is conflicting with my art style? The rubber was always grey for me, no matter what I did, so I used white color to fix the mistakes instead. I tried to find a solution on YouTube for both softwares but everyone's layers are just fine.

YunīC

Stan Yuezheng Longya
Apr 8, 2018
I think what happened is that you drew on a white layer.
No colors underneath can show up if the layer over it is already completely filled.
what you need to do is drawing on a transparent layer, transparent layers look like this:
Screenshot_2018-04-22-13-06-53.jpg
(Brightness might vary)

If you still want to have a color (like white, though using a middle gray is the most neutral color and might be the best color to choose) you will have to do a layer underneath the layer you want to put the lines on and bucket tool fill that layer.

Here is my ugly "screenshot":
View attachment DSC_0394.JPG
It's not turned off.

@Yunīku I did what you said and made a third layer. The third one was transparent but when I drew on it, the color still didn't show up. I made the first layer invisible then and ...

OK, EVERYONE, FORGET IT!
I figured out that the problem was the order of my layers. I liked to keep 1 above 2 and didn't notice that layer 1 does entirely cover layer 2 then. God, I'm so clumsy. xD:lily_lili:
Thanks to Yuniku for the bucket tip. I played with the bucket on all layers (and got some creepy results:mew_lili:) and made some layers visible, and some not, and came to the conclusion that it might be the order.

Reactions: lIlI

YunīC

Stan Yuezheng Longya
Apr 8, 2018
You're welcome? (though I don't understand the problem idk)

Also I can't help you the wand tool in clip studio paint is pretty good (probably the best one), I just have to fix some corners & such
So sorry

Also I just read your reply again and.... not turned off doesn't mean it's transparent. If your eraser erased grey (probably the checkered grey thing) that means that there probably was white color on the layer

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)