• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Favorite producer?

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
My most favorite producer is CircusP! I've been following his works for a few years, and anyone close to me knows I like to ramble about the progress since iNsAniTy through his latest works. I also like PinocchioP and Yunosuke, both for their unique styles. To be honest, I don't actively follow too many producers as I used to, but the good thing about this forum is that everyone here introduces me to new songs every day!

Reactions: cafenurse
Ah! I love Circus-P he's amazing! I'm personally a fan of his song Peace- he tunes Fukase's voice very well! Copycat and Karma are another one of my favorites from him - ! Ghost is another favorite of mine - ! he knows how to use Dex very well - ! It makes me a little jealous, I've been learning how to tune his voice for a little over two months now-

Last edited:

Luxie

Kagamine Rin and Len cover artist
Aug 3, 2022
Eastern USA
Not to continue the chain, but CircusP is amazing! I also love Neru. I haven’t ever listened to Ghost, but I heard that their music is good!

PearlStarLight5

Miss Retrocore, at your service!
I know almost everyone in this thread has said this but I'm a Circus-P fan too lol
I'd also like to give a shoutout to Owata-P, one of the first producers I listened to outside of Project Diva and continues to be one of my favorite producers.
My favorite obscure producer is MsConstantine91, she wrote awesome Engloid songs which in hindsight is probably where I became a Big Al fan.

Reactions: TheStarPalace

Vector

Passionate Fan
Mar 6, 2022
I have too many to pick one... MitchieM was the first I specifically learned about (going from "these are Hatsune Miku songs" to "here's an artist I've liked, lets's see what else they've made), and I'm definitely a huge fan. I love Giga's synth work. Some of my other favorite songs are by HachiojiP, Emon, Deco27, LamazeP... As far as English producers go, Kira is easily my favorite.

I haven't listened to much of CircusP, other than Ten Thousand Stars (which is pretty good)...but I learned something absolutely crazy recently. CircusP is from the same relatively-unpopulated state that I grew up in. I was on one of his YouTube videos and noticed it listed a Kennebunk, Maine PO box under contact details, and sure enough, his SoundCloud profile also shows "Maine, United States" under the name. Small world lol.

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
I have many favorite producers, and I can't say which is my favorite because all of them have different styles, and like it can happen during a Project Diva play, is nice to jump from one song to another of completely different style, still so pleasant to listen to<3
to name a few (not in a particular order):
utata_p, deco*27, avtechno!, mitchiem, ryuryu, keisei, kz, ryo supercell, keeno, 40mp, utsu-p, cleantears, pinocchio-p, cosmo-p, omoi, hachioji-p, oster-project, doriko, divela, deadball-p, mikito-p, lamaze-p, noboru, harry-p, fuwari-p ^-^
:miku_ani_lili::rin_smile_lIlI::len_smile_lili::luka_lili::kaito_ani_lili::meiko_ani_lili:

Reactions: PearlStarLight5

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
This probably says a lot about my taste in Vocaloid music, buuut... Shu-t. He's an OG when it comes to Vocaloid (he started back when the V1s were still available), and he's still probably the most famous Meiko producer. 'Cradle of Destiny' blew my mind way back when I was still a noob to the fandom (and some Western fans hated Meiko for some reason).

Checking through my YT subs and iTunes playlists, I also like Regulus, Niki, kz, Clean Tears, Wowaka (RIP), EZFG, SeleP, OkameP, Hachiouji/8#Prince, and Police Piccadilly.

Unpopular opinion, but I never vibed with Circus's music. orz

Reactions: TheStarPalace

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
This probably says a lot about my taste in Vocaloid music, buuut... Shu-t. He's an OG when it comes to Vocaloid (he started back when the V1s were still available), and he's still probably the most famous Meiko producer. 'Cradle of Destiny' blew my mind way back when I was still a noob to the fandom (and some Western fans hated Meiko for some reason).

Checking through my YT subs and iTunes playlists, I also like Regulus, Niki, kz, Clean Tears, Wowaka (RIP), EZFG, SeleP, OkameP, Hachiouji/8#Prince, and Police Piccadilly.

Unpopular opinion, but I never vibed with Circus's music. orz
RETWEET ON SHU-T!!!!
his music is so fun, every time it comes on i just want to break into dance. he's legendary

Reactions: Blue Of Mind

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
I clicked on Herman Miller's channel and immediatley spent an hour watching videos about that keyboard... crazy... microtonal?

I don't have any favorite engloid producers, I think part of that is just me not digging deep enough so if anyone knows of any English vocaloid producers that make good vocarock, please let me know. I really liked ippo.tsk's album 'Seeyalater Stratocaster', though it definitely is more singularly inspired by certain j-rock acts, that feeling of experiencing that old music through a lens was really uniquely presented on some of those songs, so I think it's really worth listening to. It was an album I could tell was made because of a really sincere need to communicate a "feeling". I do really appreciate KIRA's high standard of production and some of his works have definitely enlightened to me as to how strong VOCALOID in English can sound. Which is all to say, he's not part of my regular listening, but I still like tuning in when he releases new stuff. TL;DR I'm definitely looking to expand my horizons in this regard...!

Anyway, in terms of specific stuff. I've listened to so much music now that it's hard to pick just a few names. But I'll try! This is going to turn into a long rant, but I love this music so much, and I'm realizing I've never explained to someone why I love certain artists so much, so I'm just gonna go for it.
  • powapowa-P/shiinamota is my #1 favorite musical artist of all time.
    I had encountered VOCALOID music and Hatsune Miku before I knew who siinamota was, but those were generally meme songs that didn't inform me too much of what was lurking underneath. Until that point, basically all of my musical input had been classic rock, 90's grunge, heavy metal, 80's synthy radio hits, all stuff I inherited from listening to my parents' CDs passively. I liked those songs, but I didn't feel a super deep sense of connection with them, and I didn't experience the emotions my parents described when they talked about their favorite songs. When I found the song "Strobe Light" by chance, I was introduced to a world of music that was completely new to me for the first time, and I was completely pulled into Vocaloid music from then on. It's hard to put a pin in exactly what about his music connected with me so much. I could name, like, facts about what is unique about his music... the interesting, almost DnB-y percussion, the arrangements full of unique sounds, the variety ranging from more traditional rock songs to completely electronic pieces, but none of it would suffice. Above all, siinamota sang about feelings deeply personal to him. Not every song is a long personal soliloquy, but all of them convey a 'feeling' that made me feel truly seen for the first time in my life.

When siinamota passed away, I was listening to Vocaloid music plenty, but hadn't yet approached a level of fanhood that kept me updated in the community itself. I was still just absorbing releases as they came, and when I found them. So I found out he had passed away a few years after the fact. I learned that he published and wrote a lot of his songs when he was as young as I was when I discovered them. I read some interviews for the first time. Dude, I cried so hard! I cried so hard. I felt a little silly that I was so worked up over something that was so far away from me, but I realized all at once how much his music had changed my outlook. I had only ever learned classical compositions out of obligation, listened to music out of obligation... and I found real solace in someone else's songs.

I never get tired of siinamota's albums. I'll never take the fact that this music will probably continue to make me happy for the rest of my life for granted. It motivates me to keep going and make things that might help other people too.

Mr. Siinamota, thank you for everything
  • tsumiki
    tsumiki's VOCALOID works have completely occupied my brain for a long time and have become my fuel since starting college. I mean, to start, there's the breakneck percussion. I think tsumiki's vocarock songs are driven more by the drums than any other instrument, which feels quite distinct from a lot of other artists.
    I'm obsessed with the lyrics, I'm obsessed with the frenetic guitar parts... but perhaps most importantly, the BADASS MIDI PIANO SOLOS. I don't know how he managed to make them so freakin' cool...

Commentary has rightly pointed out that there are real musical parallels to wowaka and Hinata Denkou's stuff, but tsumiki's music is still incredibly distinct. A lot of the lyrical themes are similar to the woes of his contemporaries (ungrey days in particular is very, ahem, black and white about this, LOL) but it's the way the songs attack its ideas with full force and the way tsumiki has evolved as an artist that makes this feel cool, not derivative. tsumiki has some really developed thoughts on vocaloid culture and the scene as a positive force for change in people's lives and musical innovation. It makes me happy!

SAKKAC CRAFT should be required listening for modern Vocaloid, in my opinion. When he wants it to be, tsumiki's music is truly rock.
  • youman
    Holy shit youman is absolutely crazy. He's one of those artists for which every single thing you see from him comes straight from his brain. All of his songs have a very clear progression and "idea". Sonically, and, like, mixing-wise, I think his stuff is seriously amazing. I think about the bass part in 'Tiny Bunny' all the time. There's always something interesting going on.

I discovered youman when MEIKA Hime and Mikoto came out and I was dutifully staying very on top of music releases featuring those VBs. I still really love them and think they're awesome. He still uses Hime (and a lot of GUMI too).

But what took youman's stuff from just being really, really, really good VOCALOID music to him moving towards a certified genius in my opinion was when his lyricwriting suddenly evolved last August. youman has always had really cool storytelling and interweaving themes... the connections between Tiny Bunny and Weenywalker, the hidden names in RIP, etc. But after the strikingly beautiful partially untitled 'Kasou' and then Lostalgie (lost elegy/nostalgia? I think that's what it means), I think he seriously levelled up so to speak. You just gotta listen.

Also, his latest song, "Marginal Soul" is so seriously catchy, despite also being a bit somber!
  • Jesus-P
    Jesus-P's music comprised a ton of the first Vocaloid music I listened to as a kid and "Death Should Not Have Taken Thee" was the song that introduced me to "vocaloid as a culture", I'll never forget that!
    So this is definitely a very nostalgic pick for me, but Jesus-P is one of those producers that hasn't stopped. She and Minus-P just keep releasing new albums that are always up-to-date with the times and never stop being catchy. You can't go wrong.

Also, glider, who did/does a lot of the MV art, has always been a huge artistic influence on me
  • Sheeno Mirin
    When you click into a song and leave feeling genuinely taken aback, I've found that it's usually a good sign. That phenomenon hit me really hard when I watched one of their videos on a whim through niconico douga.

The MV cooperation with Yuzuri Hal through circle "StudioGnu" leaves me astounded every time.

But what makes Sheeno Mirin cool is that every song is super far from being all "form" because there are some really important things being discussed in the lyrics. Formal partnerships with translators, and StudioGnu looking to work with programmers, engineers, students, researchers... it's a really exciting feeling, right? Making cool new stuff.

By the way, I seriously thought Sheeno Mirin was an old, experienced producer until I found out that we're approx. the same age through his tweets about being in university and going through the final years of high school with COVID... suddenly the dedication to discussing the dissemination of information online made a lot more sense coming from a fellow zoomer having their life surrounded by the information economy... lol.
  • Hiiragi Magnetite
    Hiiragi is far from an underlistened producer, and I know some might be Marshall Max-ed out, but I really want everyone to listen to his other songs. When he exploded onto the scene with an absolutely bonkers 7 minute song, nobody really knew what was coming. Every bit of his success is deserved in my opinion. I want him to keep pushing his limits as a producer.

By the way, I think 'Unplanned Apoptosis' is about training a neural network, lol. What do you think?
  • sasakure.uk
    sasakure.uk's soundscapes fill up my head in a lot of the same ways powapowa-p's do, but in different ways. I don't know how to describe why I like his really distinct style of production so much, but I once heard his music described as "robot fairy tales", and I thought that was a really wonderful way of thinking about it.

I think most people know his songs from his hello*planet era, but I actually missed out on a lot of his works from back th.en. For me, "ergosum" is a perfect album.

A few more, shortform:
  • Every time I think Pinocchio-P has fallen into a pattern, he surprises me and surpasses himself. As far as his most recent works go, I think "nonbreath oblige" might be one of the great triumphs of VOCALOID music of all time.
  • john's first album still plays on loop for me a lot. Another producer with a completely distinct sound.
  • r-906 for making some of the best stuff still. Pushi getting published as the 2nd song on 39ch is so cool...!
  • Jin changed the life of so many kids and teens online in the early 2010's. What more is there to say about Kagerou Project that hasn't already been said? Awandaranebadein!
  • nekobolo has so many seriously great songs. My favorite has to be 'Synesthesia Ghost'. Specifically the Hatsune Miku version. It's one of those songs that I like so much but can't describe why. I always wondered if it sampled Sonic the Hedgehog, though.
  • EZFG. I love how each song is like a complete project for EZFG. My favorite EZFG song is Dear Hypnos, especially the VY2 version.
  • xKyouzou epitomizes the "respect" group to me. Really wonderful evolution of the source formula without being weird about it like some were in those earlier days. I was reminded to mention them thanks to their new song.
  • inabakumori. I can say nothing more
  • Hinata Denkou. I wonder what they're up to these days?
  • Hachiya Nanashi's never stopping harsh instrumentals
  • 23.exe's commitment to making Miku rap
  • ishifuro. I listen to both of his present bands
  • wowaka, the same as everyone. He really did change the course of history forever.
  • daniwell-P. I love how he makes software as well as music.
  • cowshi was so good at making a punny Kairiki Bear song that now he has established his own genre.
  • I'll never forget rokuro's songs.
  • mochiutsune is someone to keep an eye on right now, they're making a lot of cool and unique stuff.
These are just some of the people on my mind right now. I wish I could do everyone justice and name every single one of my favorite Vocaloid producers, but I'll never be able to do it.

I hope we'll be able to keep waking up and say, "someone will make a good VOCALOID song today!" for a long time. At least for now, things show no signs of stopping.

Last edited:

Granata

*Luna fan number one
Jul 30, 2022
My favorite producer has to be *Luna! Chatlüge is my all-time fav song and I fell in love with it at first listen. Every summer you will get at least one extremely catchy and vibey song. In 2022 it was Ours. Even tough he's mostly at J-Pop you'll always see him experimenting a bit, I mean the few future bass and house songs are some of the most known ones. Also I love how many diffrent synths he used in his songs and it always works out perfectly. For example someone complained about the lack of LUMi songs and when I showed them Crown Of Glass they loved it. Plus we all know Bibi is a tuning king/queen. Tho it's kinda sad that *Luna's popularity mostly comes from Japan, within almost 9 years I'm in this fandom I met like two ppl who had *Luna in their faves but I never ever see someone else with him as their number 1

Please check out my fav 2022 *Luna song My Caste Revolution!

Other faves of mine include:
  • ADYXSHA
  • balloon
  • DECO*27
  • Hikarisyuyo
  • Kikuo
  • Kurage-P
  • livetune (the older stuff w Kajuki-P specifically)
  • MARETU
  • siinamota
  • Utsu-P
But there just are so many great ones out there!

Reactions: pico

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
I've listened to *Luna's songs as they pop up but the one you recommend is really quite good! The tuning is super super pleasant.

Reactions: Granata

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
nashimoto we still stands as probably my favorite miku centered artist out there still -

but i also really like abu-se-ken too has become a fave for miku stuff too

delta is undoubtedly one of my faves out there esp as a flower artist... they tune her so well

NextDart has become a favorite for me bc of their rock style and variety of vocaloid choices and i like their stuff a lot
and as for fave in terms of english, ODDEEO has been a top choice esp since Bearer of the Heart came out

Reactions: pico

Luxie

Kagamine Rin and Len cover artist
Aug 3, 2022
Eastern USA
I’ve honestly never heard of a lot of these producers, so I’ll have to give them a listen! I have lived the ones I’ve heard, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)