• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

FEE- CeVIO AI Talk announced by U-Stella Inc.

YOYo_MAMA

I am Thou and Thou aren't Shit...
Oct 19, 2018

1629628192349.png
Source: 「CeVIO AI フィーちゃん(CV:今井麻夏)」 今冬販売予定 - WMR Tokyo - ライフスタイル

Everything is in Japanese and just recently announced 15 minutes before this post.
I'm not sure what her name is, if it's just "FEE", "FEE-chan" or "FEE CCD-0500".

Here's the promotional image Video only, NO SAMPLES YET.

Is anyone familiar with U-Stella Inc.? It's the 1st time I've heard of it. Or I'm just ignorant on the stuff they have done.
Looking at their youtube page FEE is not new. Already posting videos of a 3d model done with voice acting by a real person, I think it's her voice actress. Kinda reminds me of the ones used in VR chat and by Vtubers.

FEE was definitely first made as a VRChat avatar. Their website shows FEE concept arts, clothes color schemes with a price.
【For VRChat 3D Model】CCD-0500[FEE] - U-Stella Inc. - BOOTH

MillyAqualine

Hardcore Fan
Apr 11, 2018
Cute voice =o (also just listened to the idol her VA voiced and was expecting the whispery tone but this one is cool as well ^q^ )

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
Yeah, might want to pass on this one.

She's a physically underaged character that her company is openly touting as being a personal android that can be used to cater towards her owner's whims, including sex (this is specifically written out on the BOOTH page of her 3D model). Said 3D model's "features" include fully removable clothing, which includes her underwear.

Her character page on her website (which I won't link for hopefully obvious reasons) is the source of her being underaged (17 years old) and it also has completely nude reference sheets of her, which is... unnecessary, to say the least.

Personal opinion: I don't think even her design has much going for it considering she just looks like Yukari with pink hair

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
"Alright CeVIO, a new day, a new bank! Now's your chance to redeem yourself!"

"Interactive nude model of underage character."

I give up. orz

ETA: I know CeVIO's not the one responsible for that part, but the fact that they'd give a platform for a character whose company does such is just... disturbing. Implication is one thing, though still not to be taken lightly. This is just disgusting.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019
Lord have mercy--what in the world?????? Who looked at this company and thought this was even remotely okay?? :sukonetei_lili:
(Honestly, though, something about the artwork somehow gave me the impression that something wasn't quite right with this one. I am extremely disgusted because just... ew! NO! Would it have killed them to make her an adult???):cul_lili:

Tortoiseshel

Aspiring Fan
Aug 23, 2021
Hello, it's me, longtime vocal synthesizer enthusiast who usually sticks to the sidelines, but this is a level of grossness that I just have to talk about and get it out of my system. And because the problem here goes a lot deeper than just this character or company.

So, an underage interactive sexbot character being developed for one of the major commercial vocal synth platforms is certainly the worst- or at least, most egregious- instance of the sexualization of minors in this space, or subculture, or whatever you want to call it; but it didn't just come out of nowhere. In fact, it was probably inevitable, as long as character-based vocal synths continue to be heavily associated with, dominated by, and primarily marketed to moe otaku.

Moe otaku culture, and by extension a huge chunk of modern anime culture, is in large part built on top of a foundation of systemic sexual objectification of underage girls. It's not just that "lolicon" is popular among a distressingly large number of anime fans, or even that it's as normalized as it is. It's that almost every popular moe design trope, character archetype, cliche or convention can directly trace its lineage back to (often very explicit) lolicon artwork. It's that a lot of successful and well-respected creatives have created, or still are creating, explicit works featuring children. Even some of the ones not creating it are still actively consuming it. There's a fantastic article released last year that dives into this a fair bit, and is probably the best resource for this stuff that isn't written in Japanese. I highly suggest reading it as long as you aren't too easily disturbed by the subject matter.

Not one part of moe otaku culture is free of this, including the character-based vocal synths popularized by Hatsune Miku. Now, aside from some of her design traits being descended from lolicon archetypes, namely the school uniform, pigtails, thigh-high socks, and just the fact that she's a beautiful, idealized 16-year-old girl; Miku herself is pretty wholesome. In fact I'd say that a lot of people who like these traits (I'd like to think most of them, but I don't know if I should be that optimistic) probably do so for completely innocent reasons. Especially outside of Japan, where cultural differences often mean we over here don't pick up on what the artist intended to communicate. Inside Japan, where most of this content originates, is a very different story though.

Lolicons are EVERYWHERE in Japanese vocal synth community, on both the creative and consumer sides. It's so deeply embedded it's almost unbelievable, if you're not expecting it. One of the very first UTAUs created, available for download on the official UTAU website, is named Loline Com. Likewise, one of Sharpkey/DeepVocal's test vocals is literally just named "loli". (I also thought SynthesizerV had a test voice named loli but I can't find it on the wiki, so I might've just confused it with DeepVocal.) Companies sell body-pillows of their underage characters, even PRETEEN CHARACTERS like Otomachi Una and Tohoku Kiritan, who are both ELEVEN YEARS OLD! Just... everything surrounding Kiritan in particular is absolutely disgusting, again from both her creators and her fans. I had to stop following the official Zunko Twitter because, not only would they not stop retweeting nasty fanart of Kiritan; they eventually posted concept art of the Tohoku sisters as little kids, which was actually really cute at first! Until I noticed they were tagged "Loli Day".

Just from some quick term searching on Twitter, English tweets about Fee are almost universally about how disgusted they are by it and how they're disappointed that CeVIO is even allowing this; while Japanese tweets about it are just like, "Oh look, new character! How cute!" And this is pretty much how I expected it to go, based on my experience in both sides of the fandom. (I know a bit of Japanese, and auto-translate helps too, I'm not completely flying blind). I did see one tweet obliquely mention "overseas controversy" about her, with the implication being that even though a market for vocal synths exist in English-speaking countries, Japanese creators might do best to just ignore us whiny westerners and continue to cater to their insular little community of perverts with too much money so that they can enjoy their underage sex objects in peace.

It's honestly really disheartening. One of the reasons I even started learning Japanese in the first place was because I wanted to communicate with fans from over there, see what it's like, but all I found was... this. And it's not just vocal synth fandom, Japanese Digimon fandom for example also has its fair share of normalized gross shit, but it's a whole different level with synths because the creeps are basically the main demographic. It just really sucks, because I love vocal synthesis and think it's a fascinating technology with immense creative potential, but it's been so closely linked to moe loli idol culture garbage for years now that I always feel a little gross whenever I think too much about it.

I feel like Fee might end up causing something of a rift between Japanese and overseas synth fandoms. This kind of stuff has been bubbling just under the surface for a very long time now, but most Western fans either haven't noticed or just chose to look past it. Fee comes as a shock to us over here, but in Japanese fandom, it's kinda just assumed that underage sexualization is the norm and this company is just the first one to really monetize it in this space. Because that's how moe/loli/idol/otaku/etc. culture is, and anyone who speaks out against it is just making trouble where there doesn't need to be. Everyone in this thread asking "Why does she have to be 17? If you want to sexualize her, why not just make her an adult?!" doesn't seem to get that her being a child is a major selling point.

I really, really hope that Solaria does well, and with her we can start to move away from moe synths, because "moe" is built on a rotten foundation with little worth preserving. I'm not saying we should go back to Leon and Lola-style faceless synths, characters are fine, I love characters! But maybe we have enough pigeon-toed doe-eyed little teenage girls for... the rest of time maybe? Like, we have enough of those, especially ones aimed at adult men. Maybe we can try something new, spread out a bit.

I love vocal synthesis, it's an amazing technology with some incredibly skilled users and a fascinating culture that's sprung up around it, and I don't want the scene to be overrun by the creeps. They don't deserve it.

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
The talk synth community in particular is full of people who already sexualize the children characters, and Fee fits right in. I know Fee wasn't created solely for the voice synth community and was an existing character prior to this, but yeah, it's pretty disgusting. (And it certainly doesn't help that a number of these companies egg on this kind of content.)

Years ago, I was already pretty disappointed when Flower Talk's design was revealed because it was obvious who Gynoid was clearly trying to cater towards (and the Meikas are not safe from this either) - people kind of laughed at me for being concerned back then haha (not here, thankfully), but I always thought it was a slippery slope. Fee's company is just the first stepping into the synth scene that's blatant about it, and I wouldn't be surprised if more popped up eventually. (And as someone who really enjoys talk synths and owns quite a good number of them... yeah. It's always been a problem.)

It's really unfortunate, but the most we can do is just not support them from our side. We aren't the target audience anyway, so it doesn't matter, but like Tortoiseshel said, it's important to support Western products like Solaria so we can at least prove that things that aren't gross are profitable too.

YOYo_MAMA

I am Thou and Thou aren't Shit...
Oct 19, 2018
It's really unfortunate, but the most we can do is just not support them from our side. We aren't the target audience anyway, so it doesn't matter, but like Tortoiseshel said, it's important to support Western products like Solaria so we can at least prove that things that aren't gross are profitable too
One thing that is unfortunately proven in the past is that Sex Sells.

When Meiko and Kaito first came out, they bomb cause the two are not "sexy" enough and too mature. One Fan even tried to "fix" Meiko to be more appealing with an alternate design by making her an underage 16 year old. Which got adopted by Crypton as Sakine Meiko.

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Oh yeah I know it's been a problem tbh. My 'why' was more rhetorical, because trust me I've noticed that a shitton of characters are 17, and it's unfortunately very clear why. I'm very tired of adult-looking designs being made canonically minors, but I know that it's a selling point and tbh it's a shame. If the JP side of the fandom wants to think we're overreacting and whiny, so be it, but I hope there won't be much support for a character like Fee over here, at least 🤢

Tortoiseshel

Aspiring Fan
Aug 23, 2021
I want to make it clear that 1) I'm not saying all Japanese fans of vocal synths, or of anything really, are gross and sexualize minors. I've read complaints from Japanese people about, among other fandom ills, the popularity of underage stuff; but it's so normalized everywhere that the only real options are to shut up and accept/ignore it, or just go away if you can't handle it. Anyone who does dare to speak out against it gets a ton of harassment, which sounds pretty familiar, huh? And 2) Japanese companies and fans aren't the only ones guilty of this. The Medium5 girls have a lot of official art that are almost softcore artwork, and Sonika (17) and Ruby ("young teen appearance" according to concept art) also have some official art that makes me raise my eyebrow.

This isn't a Weird and Gross Japan vs. Moral and Correct West thing. I think it should be obvious that that's a potentially dangerous and harmful thought process to go with. I even intentionally avoided using "anime" as a descriptor in favor of "moe" specifically, because "anime" is too wide a category and makes it sound like the Japanese-ness is the problem, and not the specific tropes and design choices. I didn't mention Solaria as a positive counter-example because she's Western, I mentioned her because she doesn't have any of the problems I was talking about. She's clearly an adult, she's still very pretty but not sexually objectified, she doesn't cater to otaku fetishes; if she were made in Japan, I'd still be singing her praises. It's not about where a synth is made, because Japanese synths are perfectly capable of avoiding these problems: Mew, Chika, Saki, V5 Starters, HAL-O-ROID, the Color Voice CeVIOs, just to name a few; and non-Japanese synths are equally capable of reproducing them: Ruby, Sonika, the Medium5 girls, VSinger sometimes, and probably countless overseas UTAUs.

It is a culture problem, but it's less Japanese culture and more otaku culture.

Sep 21, 2019
Tortoiseshel, you may be new to this forum, but I'd like to thank you for leaving such eloquently written responses. Not only is it clear you did your research, but you also summed up my thoughts quite nicely and brought some good points to the table--to be completely honest, I never realized there was anything sketchy going on with Ruby nor Sonika because I typically don't pay much attention to the English Vocaloids as they generally don't meet my vocal synth needs, being a cover artist who primarily covers Japanese language songs. (Also, I did realize FEE being a child was unfortunately a huge selling point, but I didn't want to be the one to open that can of worms, so thank you for being the one to mention it.)

I've first-hand experienced a lot of shit talk for expressing my disgust over this element of otaku culture, so I'm glad to see someone speaking out about it. I also can confirm there are some pretty nasty overseas UTAU (I won't say who but if you know, you know) and got a lot of hate for saying this particular UTAU was just... yikes. I know I certainly haven't even seen the worst, but quite frankly, I'm glad.

Also, do you have the source for the official Sonika and Ruby artwork you're referring to? I always like to be able to verify my sources when possible--I wouldn't want to go telling someone else about this and just... not have the source, haha.

(Honestly, as someone who left DeviantArt due to both harassment and an influx of nasty artwork showing up on site, I'm surprised there's a lot of vocal synth designs that somehow I don't seem to notice what's questionable about them until someone points it out to me....)

Edit: I forgot to mention, since FEE is the first to blatantly do this, I can only hope this causes things to rear it's ugly head and that more people speak up about this so this digustingness becomes less common.)

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Totally understood, Tort! Apologies if my response came across badly as well. I've always thought it was somewhat distasteful that Sonika is as scantily clad as she is, but oh! She's 17!! And the Medium5 girls are... a whole thing. So yes, definitely the west isn't innocent, and plenty of the JP loids are perfectly great!

I am curious how this will come to a head, if it does, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)