• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

SynthV Feng Yi: New Chinese female voicebank for SynthesizerV

aru ii

Your Neighborhood Tianyi Enthusiast!
Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
Yeah, another saki-like vb

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
With Mo Chen and An Xiao, then Qing Su and Feng Yi; Dreamtonics has released pairs of Chinese voicebanks with very similar singing styles. With the An Xiao, it felt like they were responding to the lack of masculine voices; but this logic doesn't make sense for Feng Yi. I have two theories right now:

1. They are covering different dialects (something that's much harder to pick up on if you don't speak the language), or adding features that are hard to update the original voicebanks with

2. It's become difficult to source voice providers with varied voicetypes - soft pop is probably the most common professional singing style, so would be the easiest to come by. Fear of being replaced was a problem even during the early days of Vocaloid, so the realism of AI could make hiring singers even harder. The voicetype we're hearing currently sounds a lot like the AI equivalent of the many Kokone-type voices that boomed during V3, it's giving me a case of deja-vu. :clara_ani_lili:

*edit*

Her vocal modes are Chest, Power, Open, Soft, Airy, and Opera. I'll be very interested to hear them, as this will be the key thing that sets her apart from Qing Su.

Last edited:

___

Oct 8, 2019
imo it's just my theory dreamtonics' seen the most commercial success in China so that's where their focus is, especially now that they have to compete with ACE, An Xiao especially was timed very unfortunately lol

1. They are covering different dialects (something that's much harder to pick up on if you don't speak the language), or adding features that are hard to update the original voicebanks with
Not that it's something I can personally pick on either, so I can't confirm nor deny it, I just know chinese fans are really focused on this type of stuff so if that were the case the comment section would be flooded with people commenting on her dialect which I'm not seeing :clara_ani_lili:

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Opera, huh? This'll be interesting. Since SynthV is still relatively new with fewer voices, I won't complain if she's similar to Saki. The nature of AI and vocal modes will set banks apart anyway, I'm betting.

Seems like Chinese voices have a nice selection now! Maybe we'll get another Japanese or English one next.

aru ii

Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
Thank god there's a delay between demo and actual release date to let the hype build up. IMO it'd be better for there to be like a week to a month worth of hype time, but hey at least it's better than An Xiao's out of nowhere release.
I so much agree with u. I guess one reason why Kafu is so popular is because she took a million years to release

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
A week or two with one or two more demos would probably help build hype. But if they keep doing these short-notice or immediate releases, I have to wonder if it's working for them. Sadly I dunno about sales numbers. Even though you see an order # when you buy things from DT's store, that says nothing about individual banks 🤔

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
My theory on the reason why they all kinda sound samey and just randomly released is because these banks are banks from data needed to make synthv work in Chinese. Currently there's only one full non dream tonic Chinese voice bank and that's stardust. Stardust wouldn't be enough to make all the the cross lingual and ai plus banks work in my opinion. I think they are used in a big multi model like how you see in tts and nnsvs hence why we used to get updates to old banks whenever a big release happens. That's just my personal theory though.
I do enjoy Feng Yi voice type and think she sounds different enough.

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
i certainly wont complain about the abundance of releases as all the voices sound pretty nice- but with how sudden they all come its kind weird! doesnt give much time to be hyped about them so i do wonder how well these voices catch attention and sell (if i wanted checking this forum, i would probably find out about them months after release). while the group of new chinese releases have similar vibes im hoping some more unique vocal modes may set them apart, like this 'opera' one.

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
I wonder if opera is peking opera or more like prima

Edit:
She peking opera she's just become the most unique synth v and I love that it's editable and she has a normal voice.

Last edited:

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal

Edit:
She peking opera she's just become the most unique synth v and I love that it's editable and she has a normal voice.
OMG this is really cool. didnt know what to expect but i LOVE hearing such a unique vocal synth... itll be interesting to hear what people can do with this and i certainly hope we get more vocal modes like this!

aru ii

Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor

Edit:
Ok this flipped my inmpressio on Feng Yi from head to toes. For the last half a year every vb that dream tonics made (from Qing Su to An Xiao) was of the same generic voice type that I don’t like. S every time they were dropping a demo for a new vb I would get very disappointed, and same happened when they dropper feng yi’s demo. But that opera vm makes her the most unique sv ai and it intregues me very much. I might actually consider getting her :alys_lili:

Pup-p

Nemu nemu~
Apr 8, 2018

Edit:
I love this so much! I love unique synths, I can't wait to hear what people do with her. I'm also glad she has a normal voice (Prima I love you but you're hard to use)

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
I finally got to listen to her peking opera vocal mode, and it is so good?? That's insane. Color me impressed. Her Japanese and English are so good too!! I know I usually go for male voices more, but this is true queen behavior. I love her.

Reactions: MillyAqualine

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
hearing some more of her im kinda warming up to her voice more than some of the already existing female vocals from dreamtonics-- in some ways shes reminding me of stardust but a little more idk, youthful/young? i dont own any female dreamtonics voices and tbh she is starting to tempt me a lot... her english is not the best on the faster examples but, she sounds very high quality! even if some of the recent voices have sounded same-y, im glad to hear their quality being generally consistent and still finding ways to tempt me to buy one lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)