• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Question How do I make a MIDI sync with a backing track?

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
Hey guys, still trying to make that one cover from my previous thread here.

So unfortunately i lost my copy of Mixcraft 8 when my HDD got wiped last week, which means ive been using LMMS to edit MIDIs for this week. (and luckily, i managed to recover my Vocaloids) And considering i managed to find a MIDI of the song i want, things have been going great. That is, until I wanted to make sure the vocal MIDI notes synced up with the backing track. I loaded the off-vocal track into the sample track, but i just could not get it to sync up. The editor kept snapping the track out-of-time of the MIDI. I looked all over the settings and right-clicked near almost everything, but it just would not co-operate.

So then i tried loading the MIDI and the backing track into Audacity to sync them up, but it kept crashing whenever i touched the MIDI track.

Then i tried a whole bunch of free DAWs to see if SOMETHING would let me sync the two up, but i just could not get anything decent. I tried Cakewalk, but its a browser-only application and it said it would only work with either Chrome or Edge, despite me having it already loaded in Edge. I also tried Podium Free, but whenever i loaded the WAV into the project, it was severely pitched down for some reason and i could not correct it, despite me trying to correct it by editing the tempo and time measurements, as well as using the programs repitcher.

I'm a little frustrated. It shouldn't be this hard to sync two things together like this, especially when i made sure the MIDI was exported in the official BPM for the song. If anyone knows a good decent program to mix tracks in, or how to get LMMS to work better with this, i would be indebted to you so much. Thanks for reading my post.

Reactions: Krin

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
I've tried a few midi making programs but honestly I've had the most luck with FL Studio, so that's the program I'll recommend.

I think FL Studio has a free trial that lasts forever until you buy it. With restrictions of course, you can't save projects but other than that you pretty much have full access. (And about the saving restriction, that's when you leave FL studio running over night and get back to your project the next day :kaito_move:)

If you import your midi into FL Studio, it usually takes the information like BPM and all and sets everything up for you. Except matching up the midi with the wav. But if your BPM is set to match the BPM of your midi and the song it should be pretty easy to match the two.

Anyways if you're up for it I'd suggest trying FL Studio's trial. I've been using FL Studio to make midis for USTs in UTAU for years so I know my way around midi-making in FL. The entire process is pretty simple (once you lean a few basic controls). Also I think I posted a quickie guide of how I make my midis in FL Studio.^^ If you do end up trying FL Studio I'd be more than willing to help if there's problems you run into!! :>

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Have you tried Waveform Free? It’s been my go-to for the past several months. If worst comes to worst you could download the FL trial and try syncing it in one go!

I’ve only ever tried synching like this in Studio One, but surely there’s simple ways to do it in other DAWs... I wonder if it’d be possible to send unused copies of the Studio Ones that came with Cryptonloids? I know you can’t run Piapro without an activated Cryptonloid, but I’ve got four additional copies of SO just sitting around collecting dust, so if there’s any way...

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
I've tried a few midi making programs but honestly I've had the most luck with FL Studio, so that's the program I'll recommend.

I think FL Studio has a free trial that lasts forever until you buy it. With restrictions of course, you can't save projects but other than that you pretty much have full access. (And about the saving restriction, that's when you leave FL studio running over night and get back to your project the next day :kaito_move:)
Ive been hesitant to try FL Studio because i thought you couldn't export things with the free trial. I guess i was wrong about that??? I mean, it shouldn't take me long to sync two things, and that's basically all i need it for, so theres a possibility, i might give that a try.

Have you tried Waveform Free? It’s been my go-to for the past several months. If worst comes to worst you could download the FL trial and try syncing it in one go!

I’ve only ever tried synching like this in Studio One, but surely there’s simple ways to do it in other DAWs... I wonder if it’d be possible to send unused copies of the Studio Ones that came with Cryptonloids? I know you can’t run Piapro without an activated Cryptonloid, but I’ve got four additional copies of SO just sitting around collecting dust, so if there’s any way...
Ive tried Waveform Free, and it turned out to just be a trial version with limited features. That, and i just could not get my head around the workflow. It's so different from what i'm used to. I mean, i could give it another chance.... but idk how it'll go.

Idk if there is a way to do that with Studio One, but i'd be willing to give it a try. Its gotta be better than my current options.

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
Ive been hesitant to try FL Studio because i thought you couldn't export things with the free trial. I guess i was wrong about that??? I mean, it shouldn't take me long to sync two things, and that's basically all i need it for, so theres a possibility, i might give that a try.
I think that's how it used to be. I'm pretty certain you can export projects as wav or midi etc in the demo currently, just not save/load them.

(I did a quick search and reddit says exporting with the FL Studio 20 the current version demo is possible, a long time ago however it was not possible. So that's where the mix up could be coming from.)

Reactions: REDD

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
So as it turns out, the MIDI i found online is completely useless because when i did manage to sync it up in FL Studio, the guy who made that MIDI did not make it accurately at all. He obviously made his own arrangement (which was at the wrong BPM btw) and even when i did correct the BPM in LMMS, the pauses and notes were all over the place. It would have needed serious fixing to get it to sound right, but tbh, i'd be better off making ANOTHER one from scratch.

I do still have my previous work saved from when i was working in Mixcraft, but as i said, i no longer have access to the program. I might have to call Acoustica tech support to see if i can retrieve my account. But if that doesn't work, I'll have to start all over in transcribing the song... in LMMS.

Tbh actually tuning Lola to sing this damn song looks like its going to be a cakewalk compared to whatever fresh hell this is. Tuning Vocaloids is the fun part for me tbh, and i just wanna hurry up and get to that. :kaito_lili:

Nevertheless, i'll keep on truckin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)