• Hello Guest, recently a massive leak of e-mails and passwords ocurred on the internet. Please read more in here to see if you have been compromised.
  • Bookmarks are back! Read more in here.

Konasaur's Inside Story (aka Kona's Journal)

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Congrats on your solo! Sucks that you were sick, but sounds like that only makes the 2 more meaningful.

Your choir director sounds...interesting.... There are several ways that their position doesn't really make sense, and seems rather indefensible. But if you've had enough of struggling with them and are really good with moving on, you might be better off just doing that. It sounds like you'll probably have a much more enjoyable time in robotics club. And you've got (or will have) lots of tools available to pursue voice on your own, which will be a much more pleasant environment than all that drama.

Congrats on your new chihuahua! Hopping on your coffee idea, and since she's white, I thought of Crema. Not sure what kind of nickname you might give her with that one, though. Actually, the first thing I thought of when you mentioned coffee was Macchiato, which you might choose to shorten to Macchi or Maki or something (Though Maki is a sushi dish in Japan, so there's that to consider.). Depending on her personality, it might/might not fit--a Macchiato is espresso with a little frothy, steamed milk.

Moving on from Metallic Glass, I am already working on my next song! I am currently at the first chorus production wise, and I am very, very hyped about it. Right now, I am thinking IA English will be the singer, but who knows. I am also potentially thinking about singing it myself if I can get a mic soon enough
Good for you! Good luck! :kaito_move:

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Yeah, that's kinda my mindset right now. I want to try and strengthen my voice as a pop vocal, because I personally think that is one of my weaker areas (even though I can sing broadway fine and that's quite similar) and that's something I could easily pursue just by myself. My choral and soloist vocals are really strong I think but it's not really my goal so I don't need to worry too much about them anyway. But I'll have to see how it all goes, if anything, it's more like a just to say I didn't quit type of thing right now

Oh, those are great name suggestions!! I'll keep them in mind and see what me and my family all agree on when we actually meet her.

reactions: mobius017

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! Another journal while I have the time right now!

Potential Lack of Activity

March is gonna be a rough month for me, already starting with this ending portion of February, so if you see me less, here's all why!

Firstly, choir rehearsals have restarted for the semester so every Tuesday I am at school an extra hour and a half. That already takes up a lot of time in my week honestly, but it's normal.

Secondly, tomorrow--more so later today because we all know how I write journals--my puppy is getting here! I'll let you know everything about her like what name we pick and such when I can, but she is gonna take a lot of time. With pee pad training, regular training, a puppy's sleep schedule, it'll just be a lot. I am so very excited to be able to welcome her home though! This week has gone by so slow and I've been dying inside!

Lastly, school. My English teacher believes in massive prep for college and time management, and what does that mean? Throughout March, I will have 12 essays I need to write starting now. I already have one due Sunday and another due Monday. It is a lot and it's gonna take up a lot of my time on top of my regular schoolwork. March is also a huge prep month because of course the big choir contest is in April, along with me taking the SAT in April.

This month has a lot, and most times you'll see me, I'll probably be on mobile and not able to make really lengthy replies or really get to do much of anything like I'd like to.

Music

I just need to talk about music to say I was planning my next original for IA English solely hoping for the CeVIO update to be out by the time production is done, but it's looking like it's coming even sooner than I expected! It's so exciting to me, I love CeVIO and IA English and I think this is gonna be just so great, Look out for me using IA English all the time, IA is my third favorite Vocaloid after all.

I am also working on more story based lyrics just as a project that I think could be fun to do. I think lyrically, they are really good so far for the few I've begun to write. You can look out for them eventually,
I also want to start getting into a madrigal type song. As a choir kid, I think that kind of stuff would be really fun, and I could worry less about the instrumental so I may even get those songs done faster! I just thought it'd be something fun to try out

Potential Upcoming Commissions

I am at a point where I am really honestly desperate for a mic because of all these ideas I have to use it, so I am highly considering commissions! I'm hoping they could help me obtain my mic faster so I can get to working on all these projects.

My main commissions would be tuning. I have already planned prices and such, and I am just waiting for more free time to do them.

Aside from that, I am considering pay what you want headshot sketches. That's something I feel relatively confident enough with art wise to share, and it could help me make some extra money maybe. I am also considering negotiation for colored headshots.

==

That's something more quick of a journal, no fun facts this time. I should be writing an essay but I just wanted to get some thoughts out there to clear my head a bit! So until next time!

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Ooh, that's a rough schedule. Good luck with all that, and your new puppy!

Your new music ideas sound really cool, too!

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! Here’s a bit of a lazy journal done on mobile because I have thoughts.

My Laptop

If you’ve seen my statuses, you know my laptop got screwed by a feature update. I thought I had fixed the issue by uninstalling the update, but it appears most of my system files got corrupted and now everything from The Sims to Studio One will not run. And at this point, I’ve given up the fight because trying to replace every system file is impossible, and my laptop is not letting me delete files either. I did get another MSCVP140.dll but I had to rename the corrupted one because it won’t delete. Sadly, of course, that was not my only corrupted file.

I have gone through and tried to deactivate what I can, thankfully including my Vocaloids and CeVIOs with the exception of Galaco Talk (of which I am not risking changing my settings right now to save her, since I have no knowledge of how her activations work). Also, I can’t deactivate Sylenth because Studio One is not working...so there goes 1 out of 2 activations.
I’m so trying to upload my Studio One folder to DropBox to save it. Honestly should’ve deleted the trash projects first to make it smaller, but whatever. I might cancel and do that if it does take way too long.
Lastly, I emptid out my OneDrive and put what I could in there and Google Drive, mainly things for school. I don’t think I’ll be able to save any VSQX’s I’ve made sadly.

I’m cleaning up and saving what I can in order to make my laptop at least last a little longer. I still need it for school essays and I am in the middle of the month where 12 essays are due throughout, so this was horrid timing.
Really hoping I’ll be able to get a new laptop, if I can get up the money or get my parents to help me. I planned to start tuning commissions but...not exactly possible now.

I have suddenly grown an extreme hate for Windows updates, but Mac is not as accessible so I can’t switch over to my Mac. This is a stressful weekend...

Pets

On the bright side, my dog has been here one full week! We did end up naming her Mocha, nicknamed Momo, and she’s adjusted really well. She can sleep in her kennel great, I’ve yet tohave issues with her and she is fairly potty trained! We’re just trying to get her to learn to use pee pads so she can eventually roam free while we’re gone without worrying too much abouy her bladder.

Overall, she’s wonderful! I’d love to talk about her more, but at a less stressful time and when I can use a computer again haha

That’s my very, very quick journal about what’s going on right now. I know it’s short but aaa yeah.

Song Recommendations

I’m gonna end with this just so this journal doesn’t seem so bland. So here’s some songs I’ve been loving lately.

Synth/in the community:
Eva by Hiyimi ft Luka
Borderline by nogfgoodnight ft Avanna
Plan On Coming Home by Expus ft JubyPhonic

Non-Vocaloid songs:
One Kiss by Calvin Harris ft Dua Lipa (been obsessed since its release tbh)
Treat Myself by Meghan Trainor
Somebody Told Me by Charlie Puth
BOY by Charlie Puth

Other various sonhs I listen to:
Celtic Music on Ocarina by David Erick Ramos
Waltz No. 2 by Shostakovich
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon - Transformed Oedo Castle Remastered by MidiLandMusician
Payphone by Maroon 5 Piano/Guitar cover by Sheryar Malik

Yeah, I listen to a lot of varied things and quite honestly I don’t listen to Vocaloid music as much as I do other music, if you can’t tell. If I listen to Vocaloid, it is mostly classics, English originals, or covers now.

reactions: David K.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
And at this point, I’ve given up the fight because trying to replace every system file is impossible, and my laptop is not letting me delete files either. I did get another MSCVP140.dll but I had to rename the corrupted one because it won’t delete. Sadly, of course, that was not my only corrupted file.
This is a nuclear option (so use with CAUTION) to only use after you've got the stuff you want backed up, but is system restore an option? I've never used it, but it should revert your system back to a prior save point. This looks like it's probably a decent overview about it:

I don’t think I’ll be able to save any VSQX’s I’ve made sadly.
Why? If it's an issue of storage space, could you sign up for another Google/other account, or email them to a friend or something? I hate to think of all that work getting wiped out.

Congrats on Mocha! I wish you lots of good fortune in training and getting to know her!

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs!! Here's a quick updat to my computer situations!

@mobius017
I wish I could do it, but my laptop had no system restore points, sadly...but I did do the best I could with getting the files. I'm gonna keep trying to make space and save things in different Google Drives and such as I can, mainly song projects and my VSQX's hopefully.

But here's an update!

My parents did not like my plan of get my laptop through the week for school and see what I can do, so they took me to go buy a new laptop today!
I was actually able to purchase an even beter laptop than the one I had prior and I think it'll be great for my producing! I now have an i7, 16GB memory, and 2TB of storage among other nice specs. This is gonna really help out my production, with less lag in the long run and I am really, really excited to not have my computer slowed down. My last laptop didn't have the most superb specs, more of a standard laptop but it did its job well for five years!

My new current plan is this: as I move stuff over to my new laptop, I am going to delete it for the drive and put other stuff in. This should take a while but it'll be worth it. I am going to progressively insall everything again, which is a little difficult to get it all done quickly given I alone have about 20+ Vocaloids to install, but that's okay. I'll have time during spring beak next week to get it all done.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Oh, nice, congrats on your new machine! If you're using them both together and transferring stuff off a little at a time, you should hopefully be able to move everything you want to. Good for you!

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! You should be proud of me, it's only 9 PM, that's the earliest I've ever posted!

Spring Break

Spring break starts SOON! Tomorrow is my last day of school and then I have all next week off! I am excited to start getting stuff transferred to my new laptop because...it's a little weird having a blank laptop. But hey, I did put the effort to already get Avanna back on, because I love her too much!

I have a lot of plans for things to do during the break! And even better, I have no essays doing that time! So I will be doing a lot!

Languages

I want to start getting serious about Japanese again! My life goal is to ultimately be fluent and take all of my JLPTs and I am currently aspring to take N5 maybe next year if I get good enough. My skills are a little rusty, but I can interpret pretty well, though my input is always better than my output

For this, I also bought a new textbook! I was gonna buy the Genki workbook originally, since I only have the textbook (and answer key for when I get the workbook), but I wanted to do something different again. I have messed with oth Genki and Human Japanese, being farther in the latter right now, but I ordered Japanese From Zero today! I've heard it's a little slow, and I may be too advanced for the first book already, but the videos are really good so I want to try getting into the textbooks. I think using many resources is great anyway, and I love shelves of stuff so I don't mind getting all five books plus Kanji From Zero someday along with Genki II. The book comes on Tuesday, and that will mark my new serious study time! I also wanna buy some other books, but this will do for now because I'm going to a convention next weekend and need money.

I might do a side by side comparison of Human Japanese (maybe just Beginner), Genki I, and Japanese From Zero! 1 when I get the chance. That could help anyone pick a textbook easier, ya know? I always love to help people out~! And someday, I'd hope to review resources like Miku de Nihongo or whatever it's called.

I may also be taking the SAT subject test on German! I'd take the Japanese one and hit two birds with one stone, studying for JLPT and SAT since I have heard it only goes up to JLPT N4, but it's in November and that's... a little late when it comes to college applications and all. So if I study and feel ready, I will take the German one in June. I took some practice questions from CollegeBoard and they were really easy for me, so I think I could get a decent score on it, given they weight it and many natives are the ones taking it.

School

A good lead in to school now because if you're wondering why I'm taking the SAT subject tests...here it is. My parents have some weird belief that I am the smartest of my sisters. We're all GT/GATE/Gifted and Talented, and we all took all AP classes, but something makes them and many people that know all three of us, think that I am the smartest of them. Because of that, I have been required by my parents to apply to at least one Ivy League, solely to see if I get accepted. So that is why I have all this extra effort. Though I am also the most ambitious of my sisters, they don't have all the ambition and such as I do with all my goals and whatever.
This semester, I have TEN tests to take. I have 3 subject SATs at least, the normal SAT, 4 AP tests, and one standardized state test, and finals which three of them are provided by the college because of dual credit.. It's a lot. And next year, I am taking I think 5-6 AP classes so aaaaa it can be a lot. I just don't want to test, but there's no point in taking the class if you don't test honestly.

Konasaur's Blind People Fun Facts

I was gonna talk about my horrible experience in O&M and why I quit that in November. but there is A LOT to that story

Instead, let's talk about techniques blind people use, more in particular, me!

Sided guide: This is pretty common, and me and my sisters prefer this to canes when we're out with family or friends. Blind dude just holds on to sighted dude's arm and that's how you get around. There are specific signals you can learn to help too, like moving your arm behind your back means go behind instead of next to. I do sighted guide with my parents and friends, and am also occasionally the "sighted person" helping my sisters
Hugging walls and objects: I think this is probably the most obvious way to tell who has a visual isability because every blind kids I have ever met does this and I do it instinctively. Basically, while walking, you'll either stay close to a wall, or to get a round, you will actually put a hand on the wall or a table as you walk by, to help you know where things are. If you ever meet me in person, you'll see I do this all the time. I will hold on to literally every table, chair, pole, whatever as I walk by.
Follow shadows: more of a me thing, but when it comes to finding curbs or stairs, I follow shadows a lot. That's always how I know where to step. You can also do this with paint like on fire lanes, but I live in a city where all fire lanes are faded by now.
Follow sound: another big thing I do, if I hear something I need to go toward, I will. Blind people have literally the best ears ever, and I especially have sensitive ears, so if I hear a voice or anything, I wll know where it's from and can probably get to it.

Bonus side fact: I can't see more than two feet in front of me! I can see a general, and probably tell what's there, but nothing specific, like definitely not colors or words or anything like that. So while sighted people can just go to something, I have no idea where anything is and have to explore a bit first.
Also side fact: because of the above, I always have a goal of trying to figure out where the US and Texas flags are in my classes. This year, I haven't even found one, oops. Last year it took me all year to find the Texas flag in my first period

--

There goes early journal, it took me an hour to get my thoughts right. Also kinda lazy journal because I feel lazy today

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Spring break starts SOON! Tomorrow is my last day of school and then I have all next week off! I am excited to start getting stuff transferred to my new laptop because...it's a little weird having a blank laptop. But hey, I did put the effort to already get Avanna back on, because I love her too much!

I have a lot of plans for things to do during the break! And even better, I have no essays doing that time! So I will be doing a lot!
:kaito_move:

Good luck with all your tests, too! Jeez, 10's a lot!

reactions: Kona

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! It's currently midnight as I begin writing this, so you know what that means!

Laptop Progress

So far, I have downloaded Studio One and Sylenth again! I've not activated Sylenth yet, but I'll get there.
I also transferred over about 3 song projects so far and all of my Sylenth banks plus my samples (my snap samples in particular). I am gonna be moving over more as I see fit, so leaving out songs I won't finish/didn't like and so that should make the moving process much shorter!

I've also found that most all of the corrupted files on my old laptop were for 64-bit stuff and while I couldn't get Studio One to work originally, I tried the 32-bit version and was able to get it working just fine and deactivate Sylenth from there. I suppose that must be why I had no issue with Vocaloid when I deactivated them all.

Speaking of Vocaloid, I'm just gonna say I completely regret all my boxed versions right now because that's a lot of going through to download again. I am in the process of getting all my DL versions first, as I have those all in two USBs and that is so fast to do.
Also gotta love CeVIO because you don't have to worry about deactivation, it deactivates automatically once you activate on a new computer and that is just the best thing ever honestly. I love you my sweet CeVIO.

My current process right now is having both computers on with Google Drive and just uploading, downloading, and then removing the upload and putting a different file, just to make sure I don't run out of space. This is a lot more efficient than it sounds and I bless Google Drive for being so kind and fast.

I'll do more as the week goes on because Spring Break but weekends usually don't give me much time because I usually spend it with my family instead of in my room.

Music

Here's a topic I said I'd talk about at some point: my favorite mainstream music people. You know, Vocaloid is great, but it isn't and was never the only thing I listen to, and quite honestly it's almost the only Asian music I listen to. Other than Vocaloid, I only listen to anime themes or video game music, so I don't know anything about J-Pop or K-Pop, that's not me at all.

I'll start by saying my favorite singer of all time is probably Shakira. I just love her, and I went to her El Dorado tour last year and man, it just enhances how much I like her. I have just always really enjoyed her music, I only own like four or five of her albums though but it's really something. Her live shows in particular are really fun, every song performed at the El Dorado tour had its own live arrangement and a lot of energy, and between the show and encore, they showed a short video of the organizations she works with to help kids around the world in lesser developed places. I just think she's really cool and her music is really good, and she is just my favorite singer and a big inspiration to me

Other than Shakira, I really only listen to male artists/producers for some reason. My favorites include Calvin Harris, Bruno Mars, Charlie Puth, and Zedd. Ywah, I really don't have "unique" tastes, I'm a big pop person so I am very stereotypical honestly. Female singers I don't follow at all, though there's of course always the one or two songs I listen to from each, but none are ones I would see in concert or anything.

Favorite songs are honestly mostly by the people I listed as favorites. I basically like most every Shakira song, like some are just weird and not my style, but most are really great and I love them. In particular, Whenever, Wherever, Can't Remember to Forget You, La Tortura, and Me Enamore are some of my favorites if I HAD to choose. Other favorites are hard to decide because I honestly like most songs and adore them. Treasure by Bruno Mars, Get Lucky by Daft Punk, One Kiss by Calvin Harris, and a lot of others.

Good luck with all your tests, too! Jeez, 10's a lot!
Ah, thanks! It is a lot, hopefully I can make it through all of them

I left this draft overnight so here I go posting it now instead of leaving it

David K.

a Czech railfan who likes vocal synths
Feb 15, 2019
Czech Republic
Favorite songs are honestly mostly by the people I listed as favorites. I basically like most every Shakira song, like some are just weird and not my style, but most are really great and I love them. In particular, Whenever, Wherever, Can't Remember to Forget You, La Tortura, and Me Enamore are some of my favorites if I HAD to choose. Other favorites are hard to decide because I honestly like most songs and adore them. Treasure by Bruno Mars, Get Lucky by Daft Punk, One Kiss by Calvin Harris, and a lot of others.
Wow, I prefer 80s and 90s music (as you can hear in my style) and don't really like most of today's music, but "Whenever, Wherever", "Treasure" and "Get Lucky" are my most favourite songs of this century! These three are awesome even if they are modern.
And I found covers of them with Avanna!

Last edited:

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! At this point I am almost about to rename this journal "Late Nights with a Koasaur" because I just can't be here during the day hhhh

@David K. Those are some nice tastes too, I listen to that kind of 80s/90s on occasion, but since I'm in the car a lot, I do have a small preference for what comes on the one pop station in my town. The city I live in is in Texas so we have the choice of country, Mexican, and two rap stations, and the pop station is newer (about three years old) so that's most my exposure to music, though I dislike country music, and I hear way too much Mexican music with my family being Mexican. Not a lot to listen to here unless you hunt for it...

OH! I never knew those covers existed, but they're really nice!! Thanks for finding those and sharing them!!

MUSIC

Back to the topic I honestly didn't really finish because I just wanted to post my draft early, I actually impulse bought another Shakira album a few days ago and can I just say Shakira. is a wonderful album. I have five total albums now, mostly the ones with the classics (Hips Don't LIe on Oral Fixation Vol 2, She Wolf and Gypsy on She Wolf, and Whenever, Wherever on Laundry Days (my first album) to name a few). Shakira. doesn't have a lot of "classics" per say besides Can't Remember to Forget You and Dare (La La La), which was a World Cup song like Waka Waka I believe.
BUT MAN the unpopular songs on here are so good. I really, really wish I had access to off vocals for these unpopular songs because I would love to make covers of You Don't Care About Me with Avnna and Cut Me Deep with Avanna and maybe Yohioloid or Cyber Songman (though I'd need renders for that). These album is very lax and has a lot of acoustic piano/guitar tracks and just more...soft pop? Bottom line, this is a perfect album for Avanna and maybe even so if I did some Spanish tests with her.
(Though even though I adore Avanna, I like using Maika when I cover Shakira songs in my free time because she can obviously beautifully get that accent like Shakira)

COVERS

Now that I have gushed and mentioned covers, I'll talk about some of my projects even though I normally never post my covers anyway

I really need to get Uohioloid or Cyber Songman because I have so many songs that I want a youthful male for but Dex, Len, and Oliver don't have the right tone. So that's my goal for covers right now.

Songs in mind, I'd love to cover the Zedd remix of Lost in Japan with a youthful male or maybe IA Eng could do it? I'd have to experiment.
  • Change by Charlie Puth if I can get an off vocal I think would be lovely with Avanna and Maika, my favorite Western girls. Though I could also change Maika for Gumi English or Luka, more experimenting would be needed, ut it's such a pretty song.
  • IA English with like...any Meghan Trainor song. I'm thinking Me Too, No Excuses, or Treat Myself. Something just makes me think she'd sound great with it.
  • Can't Remember to Forget You with Maika and someone else. I was thinking IA English, she feels like a good Rihanna to me haha. But we'd have to see
  • A lot of others
There's not much to say about covers right now except that I'm in a lazy mood so I would rather scavenge for any files I can find instead of do it by hand right now haha

LANGUAGES

I got my Japanese From Zero book! I read the pre-lessons and a little of the first actual lesson, so here's some first impressions:

It is in fact slow, and starts with romaji but it does offer hiragana close by most times so I'm not completely dying. It is all good review to work up to, but maybe I should've...seen the books' content before just getting the first one.
I rgink if you're new to Japanese it is superb. I read the part teaching the first five hiragana, totally something Iwish I had (of course I learned hiragana through a Japanese kana rhythm game called Hiragana Pixel Party)

I do think starting with th first book regardless is great though because it is a great refresher and has already helped me a bit with vocabulary. The words in vocabulary lists are actually...used in the lesson. It's not a list of words you have to learn later ,and I like that a lot. I'm telling you right now I learned no vocabulary from Genki except 1-2 words because it was just lists and not a lot of usage. Granted, I don't have the workbook and I have only read four lessons I think, before I wasn't too interested in how Genki teaches (though I should keep forcing myself).

I think my thing with Genki is that, if you have read my guides on VA or have seen me teach, I like to be personal. I think being too professional ends up emotionless or just...not genuine/passionate. That's the reason I was drawn to Human Japanese at the start of my journey, and Japanese From Zero has that same personal feel, especially in the video course (which is free on the JFZ YouTube!). I like that feeling of being personal, even when you need to be professional or a teacher, it just makes everything feel...better to me.

But anyway, I like JFZ so far, I'll give more in depth stuff when I actually get through some of it.

-
And to replace my blind person fact today....

VOCALOID5

Did I really take that leap? Maybe, maybe not.
But here's how using V5 compares to the other editors through the eyes of a visually impaired person!

Mind you, I still have barely any idea what the heck I'm doing and also note: I have standard because even though I love the VYs/Cybers, I'd never use any of them except for SOngman and I can buy him separate.

First of all, black piano roll? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. This is the easiest to see for me, and everything being black with white/gray is perfect. I love it.
My only irk here is that Preferences is as white as can be, which I assume is an issue with my high contrast (as other programs have this issue sometimes too) but it's fine and because I love the color pink a lot, like it is the best color ever, of course I have to have pink notes and I can actually see them!

Interface: a bit cluttered to me given I have zoon, I like something much more simplistic like Piapro Studio where it is very, very clean an easy to find everything. But Yamaha doesn't exactly ever get simple and clean like Crypton does. It's just something to get used to since I am coming from Piapro.

Voicebanks: Well, let's be real I've really only used Avanna. I only have Avanna. Dex, Daina, Galaco, and Kagamine English installed (not even Kagamine JP yet) so I can't mess with my older dudes et but the newer dudes I still don't exactly like too much, Ken is probably my favorite. And will I be buying Meikas or Sora? Probably. But not now.

Lags/Issues/Renders: I actually have yet to have any issues. Not sure if it's my high specs on this new laptop or what, but nothing has been an isse and I have messed with stuff pretty fast and rendered.

Blind firnedly? Yes. Hard yes. I really like V5 for this sole reason, and I'll give some tests up soon once I figure out...what I'm even doing in this.

SINGING

I don't know if I have ever talked about it before, but I hate, HATE my singing voice. Well, hate...d. I didn't think I was a good singer, I hated my tone, I spent too much time admiring others, it was bad.

But recently, I have been training my chest voice (pop voice is really what it is) and I have gotten to a point where I am starting to have a workable chest voice. I can sing way better than I could, because chest voices in sopranos are...generally really bad because we never sing there ever. And my head voice I never felt sounded like my talking voice, so I'd get upset hearing all these other girls that sounded exactly the same while mine was drastically different and "ugly".

So the past several months, I have taken inspiration hearing singers in my favorite songs and seeing how their style is. I am generally extremely good at copying style, because of my ear from being blind. I stopped listening to the advice of my peers and teacher and took self study in a sense, and I developed my singing style even though it was generally pushed back because I love to enunciate consonants a lot like you would in choral singing, and I like switching from head to chest voie and vice versa and especially singing in my mixed voice a lot.
I DID have to reach out of my comfort zone to enhance my style, because I do listen to mainly male singers and I refuse to sing an octave higher like you are supposed to, so my references and practice was not ideal for my voice. I found my voice sounded a lot better when I practiced with female singers, especiall high voices, given that's my voice.

Finally, I took copying out of the equation and just took time to sing how I felt was right and my style has never been stronger than it is now. I feel a lot more confident and just overall happy with my voice.
Keep in mind that you don't need to feel confident to be passionate. I sing every day, as often as I can. You'll hear me sing random songs, random ooh's, anything, constantly. I hated my sound, but singing was something I truly love so I kept doing it regardless. And every once in a while I'd find that "star song", which I do know my best song and it is the one I will alwas get complimented on.

Now to move on to how I hate my speaking voice

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I really, really wish I had access to off vocals for these unpopular songs because I would love to make covers of You Don't Care About Me with Avnna and Cut Me Deep with Avanna and maybe Yohioloid or Cyber Songman (though I'd need renders for that).
Just out of curiosity, where do you usually get off-vocals? When I was Googling around awhile back, I ran across some sites that offered off-vocals, and some others that charged for them. And then of course there's Piapro.net for Vocaloid stuff.

Congrats on your upgrade to V5! I'm looking forward to doing more with it, too, though I'll probably be staying on Piapro for awhile since I like what XSY can do for Miku. But some of my other Vocaloids are going to be enjoying V5 one of these days.

I hated my sound, but singing was something I truly love so I kept doing it regardless.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Just out of curiosity, where do you usually get off-vocals? When I was Googling around awhile back, I ran across some sites that offered off-vocals, and some others that charged for them. And then of course there's Piapro.net for Vocaloid stuff.

Congrats on your upgrade to V5! I'm looking forward to doing more with it, too, though I'll probably be staying on Piapro for awhile since I like what XSY can do for Miku. But some of my other Vocaloids are going to be enjoying V5 one of these days.

I tend to just search around on YouTube. If it’s a popular sonf, you can generally find plenty of off vocals provided by those karaoke apps like Sing King Karaoke (this one twnds to be very accurate with off vocals). If I can’t find it off YouTube, I start searching around the internet to just various places.

Ah yeah, XSY is a beautiful feature that I miss a lot, but I guess since I use I use Engloids a lot more than Japanese Vocaloids, it’s not a big switch to me. If anything, I’ll probably be using both editors depending on the siruation.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Oh, cool, it looks like Sing King Karaoke is a good source of off-vocals! And they're conveniently available through iTunes or Google Play, too!

Yeah, I'm really hoping the hypothetical new version of Piapro will retain XSY the way the Vocaloid Editor for Cubase did. If not, I'll be hoping to run both versions of Piapro side by side, along with V5 also. But V5 has a lot of presets in it. When I tested with Miku V4X (so not a V5 Vocaloid), the presets seemed to be built-in rather than custom for each VB, so different presets seemed to sound better/worse for different singers, but I'd think you can still get some really good sounds even if you're ruing the lack of XSY for a particular Vocaloid.

I didn't mention it before for some reason, but it's really cool that you worked in your own way to come to a place where you like your voice better! Given how well you did in your competition awhile back, it seems like other people like the place your voice has come to as well! And, of course, the better you feel about it, the better you're going to perform, too, so I have to think your new approach is going to be helpful from that perspective also.

Last edited:

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
@mobius017
Yep! It makes making covers of mainstream music a lot easier to do! They’re generally my first resource to go to.

I really do hope the new Piapro keeps XSY! That’d be reall cool to have. And yeah, the presets seem just for everyone, though I have noticed from messing around that they are more or less mizing presets (basically if you went to Studio One, went to the Effects tab and just dropped in Vocal presets like Female Voice Louder). They even tell you on the side what effects are on each preset (like Compression, EQ, etc). They’re at least helpful for people who aren’t great at mixing vocals but want to cover songs with effects in them.

Thank you! Doing practice and improving my voice has definitely paid off. Every time you enter solo, you get a critique sheet from the judges, so you will see shat you can improve on more in depth. I tend to look at them after and sing the solo again and again to try and improve what I did bad on, even if I won’t be performing it again.
Though of course, pop singing and solo ainging are very different styles and need a lot of different techniques so it can be hard

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! You can really tell I'm on spring break because I'm actually active in my journal consistently enough
Because I'm in that mood, here is amusic based journal!

MUSIC

Firstly, music. I am working on multiple songs at once right now and can I just say they are very different than my already released tracks. Like I'm trying some new things and one in particular I really like is actually very energetic and more on that EDM/pop than my other songs which are more chilled/soft in a way. I am already trying to develop these songs and make them as great as possible, and I am working on multiple at once solely so I don't burn out on one. With both Thousand and ONe and Metallic Glass, they were my only projects so I'd get burned out or tired of hearing them so I'd stop working for weeks. I want to prevent that, though I don't have many ideas right now besides maybe trying out some experiments on stuff I wanted to do.

I'm also gonna try a new workflow for a few songs. I think most times I end up unhappy with my instrumental, so I am now working on instrumental alone without worrying about anything else at first. This is wildly different than my previous workflow, which included melody line and lyrics all at the same time as the instrumental production. Normally, I pull out my piano and do a very basic skeleton of melody and very watered down chords, but this time I am solely focusing on trying to pla and figure out the instrumental. THough on one song it already sparked the melody line a bit so I put some of that there.

And on another note, and maybe something my fellow producers may be interested in, I am currently (literally at the time of typing this) downloading Komplete Start, which is a COMPLETELY FREE bundle of plugins and such by Native Instruments. It's really, really exciting and I have been waiting forever to download it since it released in like February but of course, I was having laptop issues. I am so excited to use some Native Instruments stuff n my music.
Right now, my current setup is only the presets from Studio One Artist (of which I also bought all add-on features for), Sylenth1, and various audio samples I get from places for things like my snaps. So I'm still pretty small in my setup and won't be buying any more plugins (as if I have bought anything besides Sylenth) until I get my mic.

MUSIC GOALS

I think ultimately my goal is to eventually be able to draw away from relying on Vocaloid and other synths for my vocals and use my own voice, given my passion for music DID come from singing.
I mean, I have been surrounded by music my whole life, and it has given me the opportunity to learn many instruments mostly thanks to my family, but I never felt especially passionate until I started singing. Before I started singing, I had already been very into music. My sister had gotten me into learning piano on my own as a kid, my dad played the drums, I took up viola and ocarina on my own all before I started seriously singing, but I never felt...passion. I even had bought Vocaloid before I started singing, and I am very sorry Lily, but I rarely touched it.

I think while Vocaloid is a wonderful tool, it's not what I am meant to be with. I think at this point, singing is where I should be and so I'll need to move away from heavy reliance when I can get any mic. I mean, there are many, many times I can't get my vocal vision down correctly with Vocaloid, whether it just be hard or way more effort and time than I want when it can literally just come out of my mouth in seconds exactly how I want.

Though I would still always make some VOcaloid music and definitely make duets with myself and Vocaloids, but I just don't think I ammeant to be a osle Vocaloid -P if that makes sense.

HOW I STARTED SINGING

Here's something fun, things you never think about. Especially if you see me now and how much I talk about singing and all my competetitions and choir stuff, it's amazing.

Could you imagine probably around seven or eight years ago I laughed and made fun of choirs and anyone who'd join them? I remember having the most insensitive reaction to a friend jining the elementary school choir, I laughed and would tell her it was lame.

And strangely enough, when I got into seventh grade, I suddenly sang. A lot. I would sing everything everywhere. Now, I wasn't good, I didn't like my voice, and I would only sing around friends. But I'd sing everything, it started with Mitchie M songs, then it became just songs I thought were fun, and other various Vocaloid songs.

Then there was PE. Yeah, PE, physical education. I hate PE, I hate being active and running and playing useless kick ball games. But I brought my ocarina to class all the time, and I would play for fun. I particulary played Brothers from Fullmetal Alchemist because that was the song I was learning at the time.
And one day, a few days after we got registration papers to be turned in the next week for the next year, we were outside for PE after running. I didn't have my ocarina, nor did I have friends in that class. I remember singing Brothers, to myself of course, and as quietly as I could, and then, a group of girls that had not once ever acknowledged me, suddenly noticed me and told me I had a nice voice. And that gave me a lot of confidence.
Prior to this, my friend had been trying to convince me to join choir because he was going to and I sang so much. I originally was not gonna do it at all until that incident in PE.

Now, you remember how I said I laughed at sinigng before? Well, when I went to get my parents' signature for my registration, they asked me if I'd circled the wrong elective, even my sisters thought it was a joke. They all said I should take art instead because I was passionate about it and good at it (I never thought and still don't think I am good at art).

And it just so happened that that eighth grade year, I had a teacher in choir that changed my life foreer. She was wonderful and was a long term substitute because medical reasons made her unable to do full time. I loved choir, and after they found a teacher, she turned to private teching, which I was the first person to sign up for private lessons with her.
And since then, I have been in love with singing ever since and that teacher was my private voice coach up until last year when she moved to another city (and I did indeed cry when she did). I haven't gotten another voice coach since and have just turned to self studying because I really don't know if I can find a teacher I love and want to work with that much.

MISC MUSIC STUFF

Now here's just some stuff I didn't know how to categorize and it's all random stuff I just wanna say.

To singers first of all, don't be afraid to actually get into it. Seriously I am really bad at formal performance, because I can't perform without dancing, making gestures, moving, and just full on performing on my own. Going to solo is so hard for me just because you have your proper posture for proper breathing an all these things, but I just love to actually perform! Throw technique and posture out the window beause it just feels more passionate and real when you fully let yourself get into it.
//Though of course, good choir directors will have you move around a bit during practice to get that emotion in.

I used to hate piano even though it is my best instrument. I wanted nothing but to play guitar. Like guitar was my favorite instrument in the world. Now that I have a guitar, I don't play often and I actually play piano daily. Piano really helps calm my anxiety and really fixes anything for me. I play if I was crying, if I'm nervous, if I'm stressed, just anytime, and it helps. Singing also helps me a lot but I do that literally everywhere already. Like I am truly in love with my piano and I would die if anything happened to it

When I first started writing songs a long time ago, they were all negative, all following that popular general type of song we see around the West. I guess it was just a big influence for me at first, and I don't really know when I decided that style was not for me, ut it happened. Some of those songs were really good too but I never want to share those because that negativitiy is something I hate in my head.

For a few years, I considered going into college as a singing major or some other music major and tring to get into the usic industry. While the music industry still has my greatest interest, I know that's difficult and I need more stable options too, so I'm staying with computer science.
Fun fact: I actually decided I wanted to do computer science when Iwas 8 years old (after the artteacher ruined my artist dream hhh) and it hasn't changed since besides the above. I really stick to things when my heart is set on it.

I wrote my first song when I was 8 too! it...wasn't very good and I still remember how to play it on my piano. But I basically made an album when I was eight. My cousin had that "I wanna be like Hannah Montana" stage then and I was her producer I guess. I wrote a bunch of songs even though I ultimately was the only one singing them.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I am working on multiple songs at once right now and can I just say they are very different than my already released tracks. Like I'm trying some new things and one in particular I really like is actually very energetic and more on that EDM/pop than my other songs which are more chilled/soft in a way. I am already trying to develop these songs and make them as great as possible, and I am working on multiple at once solely so I don't burn out on one. With both Thousand and ONe and Metallic Glass, they were my only projects so I'd get burned out or tired of hearing them so I'd stop working for weeks. I want to prevent that, though I don't have many ideas right now besides maybe trying out some experiments on stuff I wanted to do.
That's cool. You might find that that works well. I split up my projects, too. Sometimes I work on music, sometimes I write. Splitting the projects up and switching when I can feel the creative energy starting to wane helps keep things going. So far, it seems like when one is starting to diminish, the other has often actually been recharging, so it's been working well so far.

And on another note, and maybe something my fellow producers may be interested in, I am currently (literally at the time of typing this) downloading Komplete Start, which is a COMPLETELY FREE bundle of plugins and such by Native Instruments. It's really, really exciting and I have been waiting forever to download it since it released in like February but of course, I was having laptop issues. I am so excited to use some Native Instruments stuff n my music.
Right now, my current setup is only the presets from Studio One Artist (of which I also bought all add-on features for), Sylenth1, and various audio samples I get from places for things like my snaps. So I'm still pretty small in my setup and won't be buying any more plugins (as if I have bought anything besides Sylenth) until I get my mic.
Oh, that's good! Looking at that bundle, it comes with the Kontact player. I've gotten the impression that that's a useful thing to have--lots of VST-type stuff becomes usable if you have it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)