Late Nights with the Konasaur (AKA Kona's Journal)

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! Another night, another journal

KONASAUR"S BLINDASAUR FUN FACT

Yes, I am actually starting with this today haha

I did a little doodle yesterday of my OC, which you can find here and I decided to take some pictures and talk about my process because...a blind person drawing is really, really different.

I'll start by showing the tweets I did last night that already have a little on them

As you can see, I have my setup with my CCTV there! I use complete invert for everything, even seeing sketches sent to me by other people, so essentially, I don't really know or am used to what art looks like in standard--at least sketches and lineart. Fine lines are difficult, and often don't show up to me at all unless very, very zoomed in.
When drawing, I have to have t at the zoom I shoe=wed, and if you can't tell, that is the lower left of the shirt shown on the CCTV during my coloring process (haven't posted colored yet). I do a lot of my coloring in invert so that I can make sure that...I'm actually coloring, because inverted colors allows the wax glare to be shown. I mostly prefer to use colored pencils, so that makes it even MORE difficult because they aren't as pigmented and I can't see if there is white showing still most times.

As you can see as well, the image is drawn at an angle, not straight...that's not intentional, but that IS how a lot of my artwork turns out because I can't see the whole papaer at once to know where I'm going. That also means I can't see my measurements, and I draw based off memory and what feels right

I might talk more about this later, but I wanted to share some of that because I do think it's interesting

MUSIC

I'm kinda at a standstill with creativity again, mostly because of my workflow. I write melody and lyrics as I produce, so if one doesn't come to me, it all doesn't come to me.

I will say though, one song I am working on is more///story based and I think you will all really enjoy it when I finish it. I think maybe July/August release if I get my creativity well enough.

I also want to try making more instrumental only songs, like vdeo game OST style or something? That could be fun to get into creating

SCHOOL

I put a school here because...college. I...am technically a senior now, so that means college is seriously right there.

My family wants me to pick out =some places to visit, and I will do that, except they want just Texas and I....am not a big fan of Texas despite this being my state. I'm trying to focus on Dallas or Houston because those are big cities and that is necessary for blind person survival really. There aren't really any schools in Austin or San Antonio I'd be interested in, though my sisters live there. There just isn't a lot in Texas that when I think about it, it feels right, but that could change when I go see some colleges.

I'll probably be doing that mostly in July, with a couple in June probably...

I also get AP scores in like two weeks! Let's hope I did decent!

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Wow, that's amazing. It's hard to imagine drawing like that, it'd be really hard!

That folklore-type song you mentioned earlier sounds interesting; hope your creative dry spell clears up soon!

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Wow, that's amazing. It's hard to imagine drawing like that, it'd be really hard!

That folklore-type song you mentioned earlier sounds interesting; hope your creative dry spell clears up soon!
It’s definitely a challenge for people that aren’t used to it. People have a hard time writing on it, let alone drawing!

Reactions: mobius017

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! I haven't been super active lately, but I still wanna make a journal and let you all know what's going on with me!

MUSIC

First of all, you know that traditional, story telling song I was talking about a lot? Well, quite a BIG change happened with it and I am very, very, very excited about it but I don't want spoil anything! :x
Just know it is going to be really great and I hope you guys love it, but it'll be a while until it is ready, I think

FUTURE PLANS FOR MUSIC

Small transition just to say I am very much considering making a separate channel right now, under my real name, for music just sung by me. I think that could make me feel a lot better about making music for myself and growing myself as an individual, because with Konasaur, I feel a little...restrained (no pun intended) by the fact my audience is all Vocaloid fans and because I am not at all popular, I can't really get support or much of any views at all for doing songs sung by myself. It's a lot more difficult to do that that I want that way, because I worry about growing myself, and I am not fully interested in doing covers full time, but that would be more successful. It's the things that make me a little envious of bigger producers like Circus and Aki who can get support no matter if it's synth of not...

I'm at a place, basically, where I think I need to start over to be me. I would still do Vocaloid music, but I need something more natural to get a real audience outside fandoms, I think. That would also allow me to do covers of mainstream pop songs if I wanted, which I do listen to more than VOcaloid nowadays. It's a big step, but I think it would be better for me in the end, though I am still contemplating.

VACATIONS

I am super, super excited! Next week, I will be going with my family to the Big Apple! That's right, New York City, the legendary city of the US. It'll be both be biggest city I've ever been in, obviously and my first trip to the North and the East!

We'll be going for five days, including Fourth of July and we already have some really fun things planned, including Broadway! I really have a love for big cities, like LA has been my favorite place in the world since I visited it as a kid, so needless to say, I am really ready to see the staple big city.

I am a little nervous because Momo will be staying in her very first pet hotel, but I think she'll be okay. She'll definitely enjoy having other puppies to play with at least

ORIGINAL CHARACTERS

I have started a weird obsession with...adoptables. I have adopted a bunch of them, and now I have a good pool of original characters! If anyone is curious about them, I'd love to share and talk about them a bit.

Most of the ones I am getting, with the exception of extreme impulse ones, are for a story I am writing. My first baby I think is completely developed in terms of characters adn world building, and all I need is a final draft story for it. With the lack of ideas for characters that I already find perfect, I thought I needed a new stor to pour my heart into, so I started a slice of life story with my new adoptables.
I'd be interested in sharing both these stories when they get more developed. but I could also share the draft versions as I write them. My first story, I am completely in love with and happy with my characters, they are my everything and I am already growing very attached to this new bunch, though they are taking some getting used to.

JAPANESE

I paused my German a bit to pick up Japanese again! I thought, I have invested money into Japanese, serious money, and more than I have for German, I think I should really get myself into getting into Japanese again.

I'm trying to use my Japanese From Zero book to start with because it's more lax and an easier read overall, and I think I somewhat prefer it to Genki. I would prefer less "progressive reading", but the explanations are pretty good and they have diagrams and examples that can really click in my head. I'll definitely still use Genki to help solidify, as well as re-reading over Human Japanese, but Japanese From Zero is really working out.

I've also started myself on a Memrise for Japanese From Zero I vocabulary, and I made myself a schedule, though lax. I read the chapter one night, and thhe next night, watch the YouTube video from the video course supplement/ It works out really well I think it also helps that Memrise is all in kana, so it makes it easier to practice reading that way too

This is gonna be my lax summer study routine, and it's at least working

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Hey, cool, good to see you around again! Looking forward to your new song! Have a good time in NY!

What are adoptables? I think I've heard about characters people create that you can purchase the rights to use in other things, and they sort of sound like those, but I'm not completely sure.

Last edited:

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey, cool, good to see you around again! Looking forward to your new song! Have a good time in NY!

What are adoptables? I think I've heard about characters people create that you can purchase the rights to use in other things, and they sort of sound like those, but I'm not completely sure.
Yeah, that’s kinda skmilar! Basically, an adoptable is just an artist making a character design and selling it so you can buy the character design and use it however you’d like as an OC, or just a story character or something

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Yeah, that’s kinda skmilar! Basically, an adoptable is just an artist making a character design and selling it so you can buy the character design and use it however you’d like as an OC, or just a story character or something
Oh, I see! So it's more like how they look, but their backstory/personality/etc. is left up to the purchaser. Makes sense. Thanks!

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! One last weekend journal because I don't know if I'll be doing one next week

MUSIC

I started another like...four songs today? I have been watching a lot of music theory and making music videos lately, it's kinda an obsession honestly.

These songs that I started are:
- Dark song in the same production style as Restrained
- My first attempt really trying to go for mainstream pop except like...2007 pop
- A super cute love song that's super fluffy and totally should be in a cheesy romcom

I've been doing a lot of C and C minor stuff just because that's what all the music theory videos always use so that's what I end up playing with...you'll also figure out I have a new favorite chord progression, like I do really love it

COMMISSIONS?

Yep, soon. I've been working them out a bit now, getting them ready soon enough.

I'm gonna do a super, super, SUPER cheap round of commissions just to get the experience, ya know? I've done two short music commissions now adn both went well (currently still working on one of them), and I think I do really like making stuff for others.

It's something where I feel super obligated to get things ASAP because I hate having debt at all. I will get like half of the song done in a day because I hate debts...and man can you imagine when I start singing commissions?

I also wanna do my singing commissions for quite a while pretty cheap that way I can get a good discography made to use for experience. I'll give more updates on that later though

COVERS

In cover news, I want to reshift my focus a bit so I can do diffierent kinds of styles with songs I like first

I'm not gonna spoil exactly what I'm planning, but I will say I would like to post stuff from my recording practices. I think some can turn out really nice but I never sing the whole song, and I think it'd just be interesting to see for songs that maybe don't even get full covers from me?

One I Will say I will post a sample of is Hirari, Hirari because I have been using it to practice soft recording and my soft voice has really, really improved and I am very, very proud of it! I want to maybe write English translyrics for the song for a full cover, but that'll be a lot of work with my current Japanese skills.
When I actually get most the lyrics right, I'll post the first half of the song maybe. I think it's especially a strong song for me because it's piano instrumental, so my solo vocalist comes out a lot with it because, of course, contest always has a live piano accompaniment to sing with.

MOMO THE CHIHUAHUA

Here's something, just a fun Momo story from today!

I keep my brush in a little box by my bedside table, it's like those pull out cubby drawers? I don't know the exact name, but anyway. I took a shower this morning and went to get my brush, only to not find it htere

Little did I know, when I thought I left it in the bathroom, I saw Momo watching me in the hallway, brush on the floor in front of her. She had gone to get my brush for me and left it at my door and I missed it! She always waits outside the door when I shower but this was such a new experience and it was so cute

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I started another like...four songs today? I have been watching a lot of music theory and making music videos lately, it's kinda an obsession honestly.

These songs that I started are:
- Dark song in the same production style as Restrained
- My first attempt really trying to go for mainstream pop except like...2007 pop
- A super cute love song that's super fluffy and totally should be in a cheesy romcom

I've been doing a lot of C and C minor stuff just because that's what all the music theory videos always use so that's what I end up playing with...you'll also figure out I have a new favorite chord progression, like I do really love it
Oh, cool! I've been working on some stuff, too (one reason I haven't been around too much lately), so hopefully we both get some good results!
MOMO THE CHIHUAHUA

Here's something, just a fun Momo story from today!

I keep my brush in a little box by my bedside table, it's like those pull out cubby drawers? I don't know the exact name, but anyway. I took a shower this morning and went to get my brush, only to not find it htere

Little did I know, when I thought I left it in the bathroom, I saw Momo watching me in the hallway, brush on the floor in front of her. She had gone to get my brush for me and left it at my door and I missed it! She always waits outside the door when I shower but this was such a new experience and it was so cute
Ha ha, that's sweet! She wants to help out! I wish the dogs I've had in the past would have done stuff like that--the only really comparable thing they did was steal things when they wanted to play or get attention, which was fun, too, in its own way (and a pain sometimes).

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! I'm back from NYC and feeling more energized than ever, so here's some stuff I have to talk about that I either didn't last time or it's new~

MUSIC

Something I have been really excited to talk about, Restrained is actually a part of a song series with a story! So, if you liked Restrained, you'll be excited because I want every song in the series, or atl east by the character played by Avanna, to be in the same style as Restrained. In fact, I just finished the first chorus of the next song of the series, also by Avanna's character, and it just sounds so good I love it even more than Restrained.

After the second song releases, I'll go more into the actual story, with characters and title and details and all that BUT if you can't tell by Restrained, it is a love story...of sorts. Avanna's character is very blunt and out there, essentially writing vent songs that are literal and straightforward, so I think with both Restrained and this song, you'll be able to really grab onto the story--think of these two like the prologue of sort.

I have always wanted to do a song series before, and I thought originally I'd do a different one than this, but I am really excited and happy about this one so far. I just uh...don't have like any of the male Vocaloids I want for some characters, so I'll work on that with renders or something.
Also, like Restrained, I will have a Kona version of every. Single. Song. When the series has an album release, there will be both the Vocaloid versions as one and the Kona versions as one.

I really, really wanna talk about it more but I shouldn't. Just know it's coming and I am really excited. I hope I can get this second song out before I start school again mid-August, then slow down my production a bit.

VACATION

One line can sum this up: Southerners are not meant for NYC

I mean, it wasn't a world of difference, but it got to a point after the first day that my family decided to stop going to New Yorker restaurants because that is definitely nothing like Texas food. Like one thing I really didn't understand, which is I guess such a huge difference between Northeast and Southwest, literally like...every time we went to somewhere with bread, they gave cold bread loaves? I was so confused and thought it was one restaurant at first, but then two more did it, and then room service did it. I was kinda just there..Wishing I Had warm bread. I mean, I still ate the bread, it was really good, but it was just way too different for me.
Clearly, I need to bring my own food and cooking supplies on vacation if I have the biggest confusion in the world about bread--not even the real meal.

We stayed in Manhattan the whole time and it was nice. Broadway was fun, Rockefeller was like my favorite part, but seriously, I loved the subway. I come from a city in Texas that all we have is a freaking cargo railroad that keeps you in traffic for like twenty minutes while it goes by but it was so cool. I have been on a classic railroad train once in Austin like forever ago, but it was so much cooler to subway. Though the subay stations were not what I was expecting. We didn't have time to go to Grand Central but general Subway stations were just so weird and....bare to my imagination.

Biggest highlights: Nintendo NY and going to a museum to see dinosaurs. Nintendo NY was literally my dream, it was the one store I have always wanted to go to in my entire life since it opened, so that was kind asurreal for me. Dinosaurs....well, you should know by now. We saw an Apatasaur abd I loved it. Saw some others but long necks are my favorite.

MY TUTORIALS

Oop remember all my plans to start my blog and stuff? Well, I may still do that but....

You should read this little thing, at least the first part, or if you're too lazy:

I'm a part of VNN now!

I will be writing some tutorials and software stuff for VNN rather than my blog for Vocaloid stuff, and that is really exciting to me! Right now, I'm just doing proofreading so I can adjust to everything, as well as actually write and plan. This happened before I went to NYC, so it's been out there a bit, but I haven't been out here for a bit so I decided to save it for now.

MOMO THE CHIHUAHUA

More Mocha updates...
We bought her those automatic food and water bowls for while we were gone, so she could live during times no one checked on her, and I learned today she is scared of the water bowl because it makes a "bloop" when it refills while she drinks.

I should've gotten a video of it, and I'm sad I didn't, but she will drink, immediately jolt back, watch it for a while, and the keep doing that. She would even bar kat it or start crying. It was really cute and entertaining to watch her, but hse has to get used to it because the water bowl is for sure permanent because it is better than me having to check her bowl every few hours/ This one will last her weeks.

Also funny enough, she doesn't get that way with the food bowl even though it rattles a bit when it refills. She just gets more excited there's more food

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Your plans for story-based music sound fun. Looking forward to those!

Glad you enjoyed NY! That's interesting about the bread. I wonder how practices about that differ across the country? I've seen it both ways, in the past, depending on the restaurant. Most of the time, I think I've had cold bread, but places like...maybe Cracker Barrel, or one/a few others?...sometimes have had warm bread. I agree--warm bread's REALLY good, because the warmth can really bring out the flavor, though I think in my case I also appreciate the novelty factor (since we don't get warm bread much around here). Actually, for maybe the last roughly ten years or so, I usually don't see bread around here, period. I guess it's part of cost savings--lots of people don't eat bread (or the pre-packaged crunchy breadsticks/crackers they used to put out in some places), or drink the water they used to put out, so they don't bother with the expense/effort/detergent (for the water glasses) of offering those things. I would've said that the caliber (I guess is the word; how good it's supposed to be.) of the restaurant might have something to do with it, but you make it sound like warm bread is generally the staple everywhere in the southwest; plus, while it's definitely not bad or anything, Cracker Barrel isn't exactly supposed to be a gourmet restaurant (It's more intended to hearken back to country living.), though for all I know they could be getting cold rolls and throwing them in a microwave.

I will be writing some tutorials and software stuff for VNN rather than my blog for Vocaloid stuff, and that is really exciting to me! Right now, I'm just doing proofreading so I can adjust to everything, as well as actually write and plan. This happened before I went to NYC, so it's been out there a bit, but I haven't been out here for a bit so I decided to save it for now.
Cool! :kaito_move:
I should've gotten a video of it, and I'm sad I didn't, but she will drink, immediately jolt back, watch it for a while, and the keep doing that. She would even bar kat it or start crying. It was really cute and entertaining to watch her, but hse has to get used to it because the water bowl is for sure permanent because it is better than me having to check her bowl every few hours/ This one will last her weeks.
Poor Momo! :ROFL:

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! I am doing one a day or two earlier because I am just excited and wanting to talk

@mobius017 That's really interesting! In my experience, there is warm bread just about at every sit down restaurant with the exception of a few. Though most places I have seen bread are steakhouses and seafood restaurants, at least in terms of full bread loaves or rolls. I guess it can also depend on rgion, because here in Texas, there is of course an abundance of higher end sit down steakhouses that naturally have bread of some sort.

MUSIC

Today I did something fun, I tried doing the make a song in 24 hours challenge! The good news, I did it! At least the instrumental and mixing part, I am really struggling to think of a melody and lyrics for this one

I'm really not good with genres, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would describe this song as a funk pop style. I tried to make a nice decentl funky bassline for the first time ever, and it actually turned out really well!
I think this song is a bit closer to the style I would want to make more of, closer to that mainstream pop sound but not quite dark pop or alternative like Restrained is.

I haven't quite decided a singer yet either, but it will definitely be a Western Vocaloid

VOCALOID

So, I needed a male Vocaloid for the song series I am making, and I was having a hard time deciding who to get, but I had a friend render Cyber Songman for me with my Restrained VSQX and what do you know? My Avanna tuning sounds really good with him and he fit perfectly in the style, so I purchased him1

Songman is another of those vocals I have always wanted but keep putting off over and over and over again. but I am happy to say that I finally did bite the bullet. I am really excited to be able to make songs with him!

SINGING

I am finally getting the hang of singing runs! I am having a lot of fun doing them, though I am still not the best at them and onl doing light runs. I like adding them in when I sing just for fun, but in real singing I wouldn't do them as much as I am most likely, unless that's my style. For example, when I sing Sugar by Maroon 5, I naturally add runs in the chorus when there's pauses after words like "me" because I think it sounds better.

ART

Some things to say with art, I have been trying to practice more so that I feel better about my art. I have actually been doing pretty good for how I have to draw, adn the fact I obviously can't study anatomy as easily as everyone else. Though in that sense, I think it helps my style a bit because I will redraw until it feels "right" even though it might not necessarily be right technical speaking.

I also want to start painting more eventually, I'll have to share some when I do one or two.

UKULELE

I have started slow practice again, taking about fifteen minutes a day of strumming and trying to do chords correctly.

I'm still having trouble putting my fingers for chords, especially with G, but at least the notes aren't muted enough that you can't hear the chord. You can still hear it, just individual notes, you can tell one or two aren't held correctly. It'll come to me in time though

MOMO THE CHIHUAHUA

I'm gonna end things with a cute Momo story that happened today!

Everyone loves to give their puppies head scratches and pats, and dogs love them/ Well, today I was sitting on the floor leaning against the couch, and Momo decided to jump onto the couch and start patting my head with her paw!

Reactions: David K.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Wanted to throw this in too. Just uploaded a snippet of my song in 24 hours because I’m working on melody/lyrics right now!

I said it was way different from Restrained, and I do not lie hehe

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@mobius017 That's really interesting! In my experience, there is warm bread just about at every sit down restaurant with the exception of a few. Though most places I have seen bread are steakhouses and seafood restaurants, at least in terms of full bread loaves or rolls. I guess it can also depend on rgion, because here in Texas, there is of course an abundance of higher end sit down steakhouses that naturally have bread of some sort.
Interesting! Yeah, I guess Texas would have more high-end steakhouses. ;) Even the seafood makes sense, with the Gulf and all.
So, I needed a male Vocaloid for the song series I am making, and I was having a hard time deciding who to get, but I had a friend render Cyber Songman for me with my Restrained VSQX and what do you know? My Avanna tuning sounds really good with him and he fit perfectly in the style, so I purchased him1
Congrats!
I also want to start painting more eventually, I'll have to share some when I do one or two.
Oh, that's cool. Doing digital art or sketching seem pretty popular, but not many people I see online mention painting.
Everyone loves to give their puppies head scratches and pats, and dogs love them/ Well, today I was sitting on the floor leaning against the couch, and Momo decided to jump onto the couch and start patting my head with her paw!
Ha ha!
Today I did something fun, I tried doing the make a song in 24 hours challenge! The good news, I did it! At least the instrumental and mixing part, I am really struggling to think of a melody and lyrics for this one
Wanted to throw this in too. Just uploaded a snippet of my song in 24 hours because I’m working on melody/lyrics right now!

I said it was way different from Restrained, and I do not lie hehe

Nice! Really jealous that you accomplished this in 24 hours! Sounds like a fun song!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)