Late Nights with the Konasaur (AKA Kona's Journal)

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! This is an early week journal because I am just excited right now!

@mobius017
I wish it could be that easy. Sadly, it will even mistime chords so that they are slightly off--which could work out as a light riff-y sound except it will mistime the lead part from the chords too. For example. the leading top notes of Restrained would all be off timed from the chord so I would have to go through and fix all those to make the chords even in the end anyway

MY OLD LAPTOP

Okay, yes, it's been months since I talked about this piece of junk, and maybe I should just stop holding on by this point, but I have exiting news!

I was working on things and kept thinking about old project files, since I took a jump and tried getting into my laptop and now--I have some of my most prized projects moved over through Google Drive! I took the opportunity to get my Studio One projects for Thousand and One and Metallic Glass, as well as another WIP I had been working on before the break (definitely not as good as my WIP works now though) and the folder where I had all my Piapro files! I didn't get my VSQX folder or some other WIPs I had liked. but most of my stuff for Vocaloid, as I've said, is always done in Piapro so I have a lot of my tuned versions as well as other WIP ones are in my Piapro folder as .ppsf files (the file format for Piapro specifically). My VSQX folder was filled with a lot of VSQX files I didn't make anyway, so the Piapro folder is the more important one

Though on that, I didn't get some of my in progress MIDI projects transferred, since I figured with my MIDI keyboard, they'd be easy enough to recreate by now

And a bit of a funny thing about it all: I give my Studio One projects really obscure and weird names that uite honestly not even I know how I identify songs from how I name their projects. For example, Restrained is titled "p cool dark pop song" in my Studio One files and the next song in my Restrained series is titled "c minor song".
Now, when I was looking for my project folders on my laptop, I almost didn't get Metallic Glass because I couldn't find it...except it was titled "glass song" apparently...I was creative on that one.

RESTRAINED SERIES

I did a vote on what song I should prioritize and the next song in my Restrained series won! My current poll is about which version you'd like to see released first--the Kona version or the Vocaloid version, since all songs in the series will have both versions.
I am really really excited to get thissong finished, I am currently working through making the final lyrics draft and it sounds really good and is purposely so repetititve that you will have it stuck in your head fast. It also connects with the lyrics of Restrained really well, which I suppose that hint could give away which character will be the star. bit I think there will be lyrical ties throughout the whole series so you can piece together the story better.

My plan for the series is really to give you time to try figuring out the story yourself though lyrical and instrumental ties as well as what you know about the characters as you get to know them. I think personally, that is the most fun way to do a song series with a story because songs are so limited with full connection and context that you still need to tell the full idea and story at some point, but leaving it open and pretty confusing yet straightforward to an extent really makes it interesting.
For this reason also, I'm likely going to keep more straightforward lyrics through the whole series, at least for the most part so you don't get completely lost in metaphors and such...I hate that in English class so I am not gonna force that on anyone

FUTURE ALBUM

I wanted to talk about this because now that I have the project file for Thousand and One again, I will be able to have both the original and a remastered Kona version available on the album or EP whatever I put it on!

I am really excited about this in particular because I was kinda sad I wouldn't have the original available anymore, but now I can! And the Kona version is in progress and sound delightful so far, it really shows a difference between my first song and now...which has only been a ear hehe

MOMO THE CHIHUAHUA

Momo is a scaredy cat. She got scared three times at the least today, which is both cute and sad

Firstly, when my dad came home today, he didn't say anything to her because she was on alert that someone came in and she didn't hear the garage (it did open but I had a fan on so she didn't hear it, but I did) and my dad has quite heavy footsteps because he wears steel toe boots to work, so it scared her and she started barking. And of course, like the scaredy puppy she is, she hid under my bed as if I was going to protect her

The second time was when my uncle came over. Itried to get her to say hello by pushing her outside the room, but she'd just stay in the hallway and come back in, and then I eventually just picked her up and brought her over to the room they were in...the second I put her down, she ran straight back to the room

Lastly, at night, she got scared because my dad was watching TV and the TV was reflected off a mirror and it was night so she didn't know what it was. Again, barking and running under my bed....

She's cute but definitely not meant to be a guard dog...at least that's not her responsibility

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@mobius017
I wish it could be that easy. Sadly, it will even mistime chords so that they are slightly off--which could work out as a light riff-y sound except it will mistime the lead part from the chords too. For example. the leading top notes of Restrained would all be off timed from the chord so I would have to go through and fix all those to make the chords even in the end anyway
Wow, it doesn't even mess stuff up consistently, huh? Skewing the lead/remainder of the chords sounds like it could make an interesting effect, though.
FUTURE ALBUM

I wanted to talk about this because now that I have the project file for Thousand and One again, I will be able to have both the original and a remastered Kona version available on the album or EP whatever I put it on!

I am really excited about this in particular because I was kinda sad I wouldn't have the original available anymore, but now I can! And the Kona version is in progress and sound delightful so far, it really shows a difference between my first song and now...which has only been a ear hehe
:kaito_move:
Momo is a scaredy cat. She got scared three times at the least today, which is both cute and sad
:LOL::miku3_move:

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! I'm a little later on this one, but I'm here

MUSIC

I have been a little lacking on inspiration since school starts this week, but I am still going! I am making really simple songs right now just to pass time and play with different moods while I wait for inspiration for my big song projects.

I would say these songs are more like a mix of Restrained and Thousand and One song, same chords throughout with just different variations at some points like Thousand and One, but layering like Restrained. I really like making these simpler songs, because I can do them really fast and it is just something to keep me busy and I enjoy doing

My big projects will probably be halted for a bit wih school starting plus my lack of inspiration, which I am not too happy about because I wanted to get the next song of my Restrained series out but...that won't happen in August most likely. I am though, considering introducing the actual series before the song release now that I am gonna be late on that one

I also have to slow down a bit because my right ear has been elling at me for constantly wearing earbuds since...I don't own any headphones! I am working without earbuds right now, but my laptop speakers just aren't very good and I much prefer having things right in my ear...even if my ear needs some rest now. At least that shows I have been working a lot

THE KONASAUR BRAND

I brought this up on my Twitter earlier today, but I want to gradually shift my brand to things other than dinosaurs. Because, I mean, while I do ADORE dinosaurs, it is kinda a difficult brand to do--not at all like other animals or things, especially given my color palette is very warm with yellows and oranges since those are my favorite colors.

But my friend, as I said in the tweet, told me today that my persona OC reminded them of sunflowers, adn that got me thinking...
Sunflowers do go with my oC well, and sunflowers are actually my favorite flowers, AND sunflowers go with my aesthetic and are very welcoming and warm which I try to always be as positive as I can and nice to every single person I meet. AND even on top of that, my favorite game series of all time and one of my biggest inspirations in life ever, Earthbound and MOTHER, sunflowers are a very important detail in MOTHER 3--this sunflower thing just really comes together for me in so man ways1

So with that, I have decided, I am the Sunflowerasaurus Kona now!

I made myself a quick new Twitter banne too, since i'd been meaning to do so for a long time, adn it really pills things together and definitely is already easier to incorporate than dinsoaurs, though I still would like to keep dinosaurs as my thing as well

You can see my new banner on my profile, and I am just really in love with it, it really pulls together my Twitter I think. I think another thing I found about myself and my image is that despite the fact I would like to be more bold and "cool" with more pixel-y and hard lined font (as I've used before), I think the kinda cursive-y look fits me a lot better. Not only for my personality, but because I also take huge pride in my handwriting, I am obsessed with nice, legible, cute handwriting, and I will actually change my handwriting often until I am happy with it and this font looks a lot like how I like to write now, with the crl ups at the end of ever letter

MOMO THE CHIHUAHUA

Momo had a huge weekend, and I mean, HUGE

On Saturday, I went swimming with my sister, who was in town for the weekend, and Momo hates when I leave her, so she was pretty upset when I went to the backyard to swim. At one point, my dad was coming back outside to check on the grill, and Momo just ran outside! It was her very first time going otusdie willingly

She made really good friends with the other dogs, though they really just...don't care about her at all, but she at least tried to play with them (of course, she isn't anywhere near as fast as my Pomeraninan and German Shepherd so playing ball with them was just her running in a circle)

But the big thing was, she hated me swimming. Like absolutely hated, she would go to the nearest edge of the pool to me and just whimper at me. And at one point, right when she first saw me, she jumped in! I don't think she was prepared for the getting wet part, because she had that look of regret on her face, but she did swim for a bit and I put her on a floatie and swam with her around a few times. None of my dogs have ever just openly jumped right into the pool, so it was her big moment of bravery....though after I helped her out, she much preferred dry land. My dad was really excited about It and really wants her to swim with us more often, but I'm not ure if she will

KONA"S LIFE STORYTIME

Here is another thing that happened with my sister here...

I am genuinely a very, very, very self conscious and anxious person. In fact, it goes especially far when it comes to things I do--my family has no idea abot my music or any of that, I have always been too scared to show them samples even though I have brought up lightly that I "do music stuff"

My sister though, wanted to see my MIDI keyboard, since I gave her my old digital keyboard when I bought his one, so I pulled it out and showed it to her and her husband. I had no issue with that, I did it, I played it and let them played it, I showed them my favorite plugins and Sylenth presets and a whole bunch of stuff but then, my sister asked me why I bought it, and if it was just for playing...and I told her music, which led to her telling me I had to show her.

And I did.

It was extremely hard for me, my anxiety was at an all time high because I just don't like to show people things I do. But I did it, I showed a few of my WIPs and they, and my dad, liked it a lot
Of course, every song I showed them, I purposely muted the Vocaloid or recorded vocal...I'm not that confident yet haha

And remember that piano ballad I'd talked about before? The first one I'd ever written that I was really proud of? Well, my family LOVED it, my sister even got my mom to come listen (which scared me the most because my mom just scares me overall sometimes). None of them believed I'd written it, and were just completely in love with the song. It gave me a whole new realm of confidence to share the song publicly sometime when Ih ave vocals on it!

SCHOOL

Continuing story time, I am a little, ahem, upset with school before everything has even been finalized and started at all

I got my course list last week, and my classes...weren't exactly what I wanted. I was signed up for: AP English Dual, AP Microeconomics Dual, AP Government DUal. AP Calculus BC Dual, AP Physics 2, Graphic Design, and Animation

If you've paid attention to my journals back in May and June, you might notice something...I have no robotics, not even choir, and I certainly never signed up to take another year of Physics
I asked my VI teacher to go get my actual schedule for me to check, same classes...

I don't know what is going to happen, but I was told that it happened because of scheduling reasons. I don't care about being put in ANimation, though I may trade that out for German II if possible. I will probably talk to my robotics teacher and get that settled, or at least take ...the Physics C class he teaches instead of Physics 2

But I am really overdramatic and bitter for one main reason: choir shouldn't have been a scheduling issue. "Varsity Treble" choir is always last period, always, but my schedule has Animation last period...which means the only reason I wouldn't have choir is because my teacher did take my request to be in Varisty mixed seriously, and therefore it would contradict since I am in so many dual credit AP classes
But it's okay! Because what I also noticed about the whole thing with choir, is that it is on my course list for second semester, along with Macroeconomics and guess my only other semester class that isn't Economics? Government as my fifth period. And guess what period Varsity Mixed has been consistently for years? That's right, fifth period. So I have my hopes really, really high for that one,, though with my luck it still won't turn out exactly as I wanted

ART

I want to try to do digital again...despite my art skill being low and my eyesight being even lower, I want the ability to be able to make my own art and videos for my songs more than just my simple arts like Restrained's art.

I'm gonna look into some possible free art software and maybe look into getting a stylus for my laptop. I think a stylus would be easier for me to do than finding my old tablet and all its parts. I also think it'd be more beneficial becase even though I can't exactly see well for a tablet workflow, I can bring it to my CCTV and do it that way where I am already comfortable with that type of workflow (although theoretically I could work either way)

I just struggle as someone who can decent traditional, but has no scanner, and although I love supporting artists...I don't exatly have the money it would cost to pay for commissioned illustrations--especially given I have around six songs ready to go after Vocaloid tuning, and that cheapest fullbody I think I have ever seen was $30...already a lot as someone without a job, let alone getting to those more pricey artists that I just can't afford no matter how badly I want to.
For now though, I can at least work off the kindness of Vocaloid Amino, which has many artists that are happy to either volunteer or do it for Amino currency (which can be obtained without putting down any money, and if you do put down money, it isn't that expensive)....so that is my current price range. I really dislike it, but until I can either draw myself, or get the funds for artists, I don't really have a way of doing things other than how I did REstrained and Thousand and ONe...which may be how I continue to due things.

That can just be upsetting because despite the priority of music, art does indeed play a part in getting views to an extent, especially as an upcoming producer rather than an already established one with a following. It makes things eve nmore of a struggle, but I will be anel to work through it the best I can! At least, I am very, very proud of how my songs are doing so far, even though it isn't much, it is much more than I could ever dream anyone would listen to my songs hehe

Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I had a thought about the issue you have connecting your MIDI keyboard to Studio One. You mentioned having a copy of Ableton Live Lite that came with your keyboard. I wonder if you would have any better luck connecting the keyboard to that? If that worked, I'd assume you could export a MIDI from Ableton and import that into Studio One. Provided you have the space to install Ableton and want to do so just for that. Or, Ableton aside, maybe there are some kind of drivers or something that would make the connection to Studio One work better?

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I had a thought about the issue you have connecting your MIDI keyboard to Studio One. You mentioned having a copy of Ableton Live Lite that came with your keyboard. I wonder if you would have any better luck connecting the keyboard to that? If that worked, I'd assume you could export a MIDI from Ableton and import that into Studio One. Provided you have the space to install Ableton and want to do so just for that. Or, Ableton aside, maybe there are some kind of drivers or something that would make the connection to Studio One work better?
Those are interesting ideas!

I’ve thought of the former before, but wasn’t sure it’d make a bug difference. The MIDI keyboard also “came with” Pro tools First and Cakewalk—both free options for DAWs, which makes me assume that the keyboard isn’t specifically for Ableton, but more of a good deal with them (I suppose similar to Piapro Studio/Studio One)

When I get some time this weekend, I would like to go through and try messing with some settings and see if I can potentially get it to snap to grid record somehow

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Good luck! If you're looking at settings, part of the Studio One manual (A 300-page epic tome.... I forget where I got mine, but I expect it's one of the downloads on the Presonus website page where you download your installer.) deals with MIDI settings; maybe it would be helpful, if you haven't looked at that part already.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Good luck! If you're looking at settings, part of the Studio One manual (A 300-page epic tome.... I forget where I got mine, but I expect it's one of the downloads on the Presonus website page where you download your installer.) deals with MIDI settings; maybe it would be helpful, if you haven't looked at that part already.
I’ll have to look through it. I haven’t really ever looked through it much...mostly just wing it until I just can’t figure things out and google it.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey dinosaurs! I skipped last week because I didn't really have anthing too interesting, but this week, this, and last week, were some weeks hehe

MUSIC

I HAVE A SONG COMING SOON

Yeah, not any of the ones I have been explicitly talking about though hehe

This song I started last week, probably on Monday or Tuesday, and it has take nme so long because of the fact school started but I did finish most of it. I'm doing last minute touches and such with mixing before going to find art for the vide. I made art for the single itself for Bandcamp, but that's about it

I also partly lied because if you follow me on Twitter, you will know I have been talking about this song like crazy. I even had a poll for who should sing it, and Luka won! I'm quite happy she did too, because she was my original choice for singer!
From my hints on Twitter, I would say the song is pretty happy/sweet and it is about dreams.

I would consider this song like a "comfort song" for me, I stress and get a lot of anxiety before school starts and this song just kinda...fell together really easily and I have worked on it a lot, with most of my work lately being tuning that I didn't want to do.

My hope is that this song can comfort and make others happy just like it does for me, because I really feel like this song just embodies warm feelings.

And I will be posting a little demo of it soon, so....look forward to it! This song won't be out until September because I don't want to get in the way of Miku's birthday by...publishing a Luka song instead of a Miku song, but I would consider this my unintentional Luka 10th gift! So, demo probably this week and song in September, like first week of it

SCHOOL

Here's the thing. Remember my last journal talking about going to see my schedule and stuff?
literally like ten hours after that (considering I posted that late Sunday as most times), I went to the school. I was first going to talk to my counselor about my schedule before anything else, but when I went there, she'd already fixed everything and I could walk my new schedule happily

My official schedule for this semester is as follows:
AP English Dual credit
AP Microeconomics Dual credit
Choir
Graphic Design
AP Government Dual credit
AP Calculus BC Dual credit
Robotics

Everything is there as I needed, and uh...if I disappear from activity a lot, this will tell you why. I don't get much time to sit with my laptop and be on websites (usually my laptop is just for making music most times). I will try to be on through mobile though, and well, I will always be on Twitter if anyone wants to follow me there, because it is the home of Kona rambling, like constant rambling

My first week and a half went really well, I like all my teachers, I am getting myself settled, and I took a math test I don't think I did very well on.

SINGING

Now, since I am in choir, I am gonna talk more about singing again!

I did my voicing, because my choir director has apparently...stopped trying to grow varsity mixed so I am stuck in varsity treble (hurts my confidence a little but I know I'm not a bad singer), and I was a little scared that no head voice all summer would really mess me up but I was indeed still singing at a soprano I range, and my low notes, at least in my choir voice, are still horrid and you don't want to hear them

We got our music for a contest already, which is the All REgion Choir. Normally, I don't care to participate, but this year I'm going to because it's my last year, gotta do everything I was too nervous or reluctant to do! And I am really excited because we have a German piece!

I don't know the names of all the pieces off the top of my head, but next time I post I'll get those so you can see the songs I have to sing, and maybe my part too if I can find that.

Also, something a little funny that I thought of because of choir.
My director knows I am full soprano, as well as my former voice coach who literally got onto me for even trying to sing chest when I first got really into singing. But a few years back, I took a leap and joined an amateur Vocaloid singing group/chorus...and man, did I regret it and it was so bad that I don't think I would ever join one again in my life. Basically, the whole time I was there was...people trying to tell me I was an alto and shouldn't sing high notes. I got that from multiple people there, even when I told them I had a voice coach and I knew for a fact I was a soprano I and what my range was
It's just...funny to me. I guess if you hear songs like Restrained and such, you could mistake me for an alto or more chesty singer in general, but I am just not like that is a real struggle for me. I think it's especially funny to think about someone thinking of me as an alto when you see the music I sing for solo and choir in general. I just don't have a reason to put high notes in my actual music because well, I am not here to try forcing it in to show I can do it, and most music just isn't meant for high notes like that unless they're harmonies or just fun runs that aren't ever really necessary in the actual song's contents
Don't get me wrong, I would love to put my high voice in a song, but I just have nevre had an idea that I'm like, this, THIS needs a high G in it to be perfect

I have also found, somewhat massively detouring, that my singing style has changed to put in falsett a lot more because I found a way of doing it that I liked a lot, so I suppose that is the extent of my "high notes" in my music. When I sing in my chest voice, I like my high notes to be emphasized a lot with falsetto and extreme breathiness, I just find that a really nice sound especially for my voice
I sang the song I am posting in September with Luka that way while producing it, and the song is really, really made based off my singing style, I think....which makes it very difficult considering it is difficult to do a lot of that in Vocaloid tuning, but I tried my best and might do a Kona version so you can really hear how I imagined the song would sound

ART

I have been doodling a lot more in my attempt to become good at art! I have a doodle thread on my Twitter where only the best of my doodles see the light of day there, and I started developing, or trying to at least, a new chibi style that I think is pretty cute!

I did one of Little Kona and another of a different OC (that I will happily talk about once I figure out an standard/official outfit for her)

I want to try to really get good at a chibi style, because for my eyes, that is a lot easier to magae and draw than a full illustration. I also am tryng lots of different poses (but those doodles are Bad so you don't get to see them) and I want to try, as I said in the tweet, doing ref shets! I think that could be fun to do

-

I don't know if you could tell or not, but I have been just in an overall good mood and quite happy lately! I'm generally a happy person most the time, but it has been especially true lately. I think I just needed things to fill my time more. or at least more than a little puppy that sleeps all day does (no offense Momo)

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I HAVE A SONG COMING SOON
Yay!
Here's the thing. Remember my last journal talking about going to see my schedule and stuff?
literally like ten hours after that (considering I posted that late Sunday as most times), I went to the school. I was first going to talk to my counselor about my schedule before anything else, but when I went there, she'd already fixed everything and I could walk my new schedule happily

My official schedule for this semester is as follows:
AP English Dual credit
AP Microeconomics Dual credit
Choir
Graphic Design
AP Government Dual credit
AP Calculus BC Dual credit
Robotics
Oh, wow, scheduling headaches are the worst. It amazes me the difference in the college vs. the high school experience. In college, as long as you've got the prerequisites, my experience was that you log in on time, try to sign up before the seats run out or whatever, and you're done (Of course, you had to plan stuff out so you didn't get two classes at the same time, etc. Logical stuff like that.). In high school...yeah, it's like they take in the classes everyone signs up for and then let a bad AI try to put everyone together. And for years in a row, my schedule had to get fixed, just like yours would have had to have been. But you were fortunate that your counselor was on top of it and got stuff ironed out!

Maybe the difference is that college was DIY electronic registration, whereas HS was filling out a form and then these poor people in the office and/or their software had to deal with everyone at once after the fact....
But a few years back, I took a leap and joined an amateur Vocaloid singing group/chorus
Wait, what? Really? I guess there must be a few Vocaloid fans in your area, to even get something like that together. Cool!

Your sketches look good! Definitely better than anything I'd draw!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)