• Our site rules have went through some updates and changes recently! Please take a moment to read over the changes (Rules 2-4) here!

Late Nights with the Konasaur (AKA Kona's Journal)

I'm so, so glad to see you back! VVN was really quiet without you. I hope everything with school/college gets a bit easier as time goes on. I'm right there with you - I don't want to go off, either.
Keep yourself healthy (both physically and mentally) and don't force yourself to do anything VOCALOID-wise if you're not feeling up to it. :)

Reactions: TheStarPalace

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Another night, another journal. I feel like I have a lot to say, but I don't think I do

SCHOOL

I officially registered for classes! I am really excited about what I'll be taking in college and I think it'll make to be a fun year!

The classes I am taking are:
Programming I
Calculus I
Elementary Japanese I
Digital Music Production
Academic Inquiry

I really, really am excited for my classes, minus that last one which is a required class for freshman basically to make connections and introduce yourself to college. I got the chance to take some really fun classes because I actually am almost completely done with my basics due to dual credit! I just need to take three more classes for my basics to be all done, and Music Production actually covers one of them because it's my creative credit! I also want to take Japanese throughout my college just to be able to learn it fully and more easily, though my school doesn't have a Japanese major or minor so my efforts are only for leisure unfortunately...I considered going for a German minor instead, but I felt like Japanese would be more fun to me.

In other news, I officially graduate soon! This week and next week will be filled withAP testing and finishing up some work, but after that, I am officially graduated. I think after that point, my stress level will go down a lot and I will have all my energy and creativity back. RIght now, I just feel completely drained from the workload--especially considering teachers here were supposed to not give work that would take longer than an hour to complete for the week and...that's...not what's happening. At the least, my English teacher is very kind and told me not to worry about her hgih school work and just do what I need for dual credit so I just have to complete an essay. Other than that, I just have to worry about Calculus, which is...a lot of work to do but I will manage it I think. Even if I have to spend all my time doing nothing but math until it is done. BUT not tomorrow, because I have my Government AP test--which is the one I feel most confident about from all my AP tests so I want to do well on it.

MUSIC

I want to try getting something new out within the coming month or so because I feel like I have been so inactive.

I am thinking I'd like to try using some different singers than the ones I have again, so expect some new voices in my music. Along with that, I would like to start making at least one song that I can attempt to make a real PV for! OF course ,it'd be a bad MMD PV but at least it is improved from what I am currently doing.

My WIPs right now are all very scattered in style. None of them are very...similar in my opinion, with the exception of a few and some of them I'm at a point where I like the starting idea but I have no idea where to go from there so they are just eternally stuck.

JAPANESE

I am very happy to say that during last week, I made a spontaneous decision and ordered myself Japanese From Zero 2 and 3! Of course, they still have not shipped yet due to the pandemic, but that gives me time to focus on school and review the first book. I really wanted to get them fro a while, and I thought during the summer would be a really good time to just sit and study Japanese more

I also think it'd be nice to get a little ahead for my Japanese class, given then I can use it more as a practice and refresher than stress about it so I can worry about my other classes. I did that when I took German a couple years back, of course then I learned that I was...the level of German III taking a German I class and so I basically was more like a tutor in the end....
But this will be different! I know it!

OTHER THOUGHTS

Something I've come to notice lately when it comes to getting back into being social everywhere, or at least checking in places, is that I am starting to be more comfortable with myself and be far more expressive than I was--at least in my opinion.
A thought I've always had is feeling slightly out of place when it comes to being online, partly due to the fact that I am very aware that at times, my overall diction is...very different from everyone else around me. Before, I tried to kind of...throw in more slang and try to foce mself to be more like what I kinda saw around me a lot, but lately, I've just accepted this is how I am and it's something that makes me stand out if anything.
Though it'll always make me laugh how people tend to think I'm older than I am because of how I talk.

Oh, another fun thing! I've been thinking that I want my next instrument to be some type fo traditional Japanese instrument. I've always been extremely fond of them and any music using them, so I think it'd be really fun to have and play one. I...just don't know which I'd like to get yet and I would definitely have to ddo much more research beforehand but it's a thought.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Oof, it's been a bit since I journaled again...but it's another late night--just not a weekend night!

MUSIC

Here's a theory I had: I haven't been able to make music virtually all year because of the amount of stress I've had due to school the whole first half of the year

Now, I can safely say this theory...seems to be true.

While my body is still exhausted and in recovery mode from life and stress, I have already made three new WIPs that I do really like. I've also got two...maybe three songs that only need vocals and lyrics and they are ready to go.
So, expect more songs upcoming. Specifically, I am working on one Avanna song for certain, and the others, I'm not sure yet who the singer will be, but expect more native Engloids...

VOCAL SYNTHS

WIth my graduation being last week, I decided to get myself a lttle gift, so I bought ONE! She's one that I've been eyeing for a very long time, but CeVIO can be...a hassle to buy honestly, so I put her off A LOT
But I figured if I have IA Enlglish, might as well go through it again haha

I absolutely love ONE so far, and I posted a really bad, lazy, like barely tuned video of my usage of her on Twitter a bit ago, but I'll save your ars, it wasn't all that great. I'm still getting the hang of using CeVIO, but I do love the engine a lot and really enjoy using it!

I don't have the Talk editor though, so the next time there's a sale I might pick up Sasara's starter pack to get that, plus I could gift the extra song editor to a friend that wants to get IA English but getting her starter pack is impossible off Vector from what we've found.

I might make a cover for her and actually post it for once, because I nroamlly don't share my covers but I just really adore ONE and she deserves so much more

ANIME

I've been trying to find more things to watch now that I'm on summer break...

My sister bought me the most recent boxset of Boruto so I can finally keep watching that, because I think Naruto/Boruto is definitely my favorite anime at this point
Atop that, I am also starting to watch Cells at Work finally, and Darwin's Game--the latter of which I am really into, it's been a really good anime so far.

I wanna find a couple others too maybe, but I'm not sure which ones....

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
AHHHHH yessss another ONE fan!!! I adore ONE and find her to sound better and more mature than her older sister, IA. I love her and wish she got more usage. Have you heard of Lost Pulsation? It's my favorite ONE original.
Oh, I’d never heard that one before! I went and listened to it and it is indeed a very good song.
I love ONE, she’s what initially got me interested in CeVIO! Her voice is just so nice to hear.

Reactions: ThatGirlMyra

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hey everyone! It's been a while, and I thought i may as well leave a journal while I'm checking in to see everything. I think this would be nice to do, give some updates on myself during the times i come back to visit sincce I'm not regularly active anymore.

MUSIC

Well, the most important aspect of myself, I think

I DID hve a song releasing this summer, but I decided to postpone it because I....got too lazy to tune and I would like to prioritize other projects coming in fall. I will say ti is a Sweet Ann song, and I'm slowly working on it, but it's not my focus right now. I am hoping to release it maybe in December

That being said, I do have some projects coming you can look forward to
Right now, my focuses are on the following:
- Ruby 5th Anniversary song
- Harvest Avanna theme song
- Dex and Daina 5th Anniversary song

These three songs are all of experimental styles, but I'm liking them a lot so far! I'm finding myself experimenting with different genres and styles much more often these days, really trying to figure out what I think "my" style is. If anytihng, that does mean I'll have something for everyone, because they are all pretty different.
I'm also working on some non-synth music, but i don't think that will be coming anytime soon honestly. Regardless, I'm really excited for it all and I've been practicing recording more to really get used to it. I think my singing while recording has been improving quite a bit.

MMD

I have been working A LOT on improving my skills with MMD, and I have actually started learning to make some pretty good camera motions! I'm still not as good with working with models, but camera is half the battle really. I think in half a year, I have made some really good progress at least in terms of how often I actually get myself to practice using MMD and not just opening it and loading up all the stuff and watching for my own entertainment.

I actually shared a WIP camera motion I started working on on my Twitter a couple weeks ago, you can watch it here if you'd like

MOMO THE CHIHUAHU

Momo has been doing pretty okay. She went to the groomers today and now she smells like vanilla cake because of the shampoo they used!

Momo has had quite a lo going on in her life. She got an ear infection towards the end of last month, which was very sad, but she's been getting better. Her ear is still red after all the medicines though, so she may have to go back and see if she's okay.

Atop that, her cousin (my sister's dog), Truffle, has moved in! My sister is staying with us for the year because of circumstances, so Momo has a new housemate. SHe's never been around Truffle, or really any other dog inside, for more than a week, so she's already vey tied of playing with her and just wants to sleep. Especially because she is a very lazy dog and likes to spend almost all her time sleeping, with only small spurts of energy, while Truffle is up nearly all day and is very excitable. They're both learning to get used to each other, and for the most part, they're doing very well living together, but it's only been two weeks.

Oh, and if you need something to make your day, I took this video of Momo when I caught her barking in her sleep the toher night. She's incredibly cute.

SCHOOL

Well, I did talk about my school plans before, but things have changed! Because of the pandemic, my family didn't feel it was safe for me to start school this semester, so I won't be going to college until next semester, and atop that, I won't be going to the college i said I would earlier either! I took the opportunity to apply to toher colleges that I'd be more interested in, and I've really been learning towards one of them lately, so that may be where i end up come spring.

I think waiting ended up being the better decision, both from a health standard and a stres standard. Things weren't working out ideally with accommodations and everything I needed, so I was really stressing out about college so this gives me much more time to commicate with who I neeed to and get what I need to done.

SINGING

I have been trying to sing more again and really work on my voice, because I noticed a lot of my range and breath support is...not as great as it used to be. Thankfully, i have been figuring out what styles fit my voice best too and that has led to more improvement faster.

I feel the hardest part of singing is trying to sing what you like while also staying within what your voice is good at. Because of course there are songs that are not a great fit for your range or your tone, and there are songs that sound just right when you sing them and everything fits together. I also want to work on trying to make more songs that lie within that style that fits me because I don't want to rely on vocal synths forever with songs I really, really love and want to sing. I felt in the past, I fell in love with songs and watned to sing them, but the songs just weren't for my voice.
In doing so, I have found that I actually am enjoying the sound of my head voice! I have never liked it before, but I think it's because I was aplying it to songs that just didn't fit my tone so the end result didn't sound good to me. I"m having a lot of fun singing now, and it's really great!

-

I think those are all the major updates I have, that I can think of at least. So, I suppose until the next update, see ya!

Kazumimi

Spreader of Tei propaganda
Staff member
Sep 21, 2019
www.robocheatsy.com
Nice hearing from you, Kona! I’ll be looking forward to the projects you’re talking about, and I’m glad things seem to be going well for you. It’s awesome that you say you’re getting better at MMD camera motions—I know that those are very hard to get the hang of, so I certainly have to give you kudos for that!
Take care! :ruby_ani_lili:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Hey Kona! Glad to hear that your singing/music is going so well and that you might be going to a college you like better!

Thanks so much for the Momo update, too! I really hope her ear heals up nicely.

Oh, and if you need something to make your day, I took this video of Momo when I caught her barking in her sleep the toher night. She's incredibly cute.
A-HAHAHA! I can't believe she can bark and stay asleep! A dog I had used to make little noises while she slept sometimes.... I wonder if she was barking...?

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Nice hearing from you, Kona! I’ll be looking forward to the projects you’re talking about, and I’m glad things seem to be going well for you. It’s awesome that you say you’re getting better at MMD camera motions—I know that those are very hard to get the hang of, so I certainly have to give you kudos for that!
Take care! :ruby_ani_lili:
Thank you! I’ve definitely been working hard with MMD lately. I think the hardest part of camera motions so far is just getting the ideas for thrm!
Hey Kona! Glad to hear that your singing/music is going so well and that you might be going to a college you like better!

Thanks so much for the Momo update, too! I really hope her ear heals up nicely.

A-HAHAHA! I can't believe she can bark and stay asleep! A dog I had used to make little noises while she slept sometimes.... I wonder if she was barking...?
You’re welcome for the Momo update haha!
She barks in her sleep almost every night, and sometimes even while just napping. I’ve looked it up before and apparently soeep barking is pretty common because dogs have sleep patterns similar to humans and can even dream! The barking is supposed to possibly be a sign of them dreaming. It’s really cool honestly!

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
USA
You may have noticed me popping in and out the past couple days, but if not,hi! I'm around right now! And actual stuff is happening in my life, I guess.

MUSIC

I still have nothing new, but I have shared a WIP on my Soundcloud if you follow me there. I want to use my Soundcloud more since I haven't put any of my newer songs on there, so it's mostly for WIPs now! Last week, I posted an original WIP, and today I posted a cover WIP!

Speaking of covers, I'm trying to improve myself with vocal synths at the moment through covers. I'm able to make a VSQX, but I've never made one with harmonies before, and never use harmonies in y songs because I get scared to aside the one time I did. BUT, I think my first attempt at hearing harmonies to make a cover actually went, pretty well! Along with this, I'm trying to improve my tuning a lot more because I've been...kinda upset at how poor my tuning is for having used synths like Vocaloid for nearly six years now--people that have used it for less time are all so much better and while tuning shouldn't be too important, it's a detail everyone pays attention to.
If you wanna hear my WIP, here it is! It's a cover of Every Heart, hthe Inuyasha ending, featuring Miku V2 Dark. I have some stuff I wanna change up in this part, but I think Miku's vioce is just so beautiful and fitting for this song.

I don't know if I'll do the whole song or just work on this first half and call it a day, but I really love it so far!

VOCAL SYNTHS

Man, a lot has happened in vocal synth for me.
As you can tell, I finally got my Miku V2 installed and imported to V4 so I can use her, but along with that I recently snagged phyisical copies of VY1V4 and Cyber Diva! Lucky grabs if I do say so myself! Really happy to have them and love them both, though neither are exactly new to my collection )at least in tterms of character)

I also started using SynthV! Thankfully, that horrid false positive virus issue is gone in SynthV Studio so I decided it was time for me to give it a shot! While I don't exactly like many of the voices, I do like Saki a lot and have really been enjoying using her. I even did a cover with her that you can find here if you wanna listen to my first attempt at using SynthV.

I have another Saki cover in the works right now, this time of HYBRID, that's almost done, but I don't know when it will come out. I have to say though, I much prefer my current HYBEID WIP to my Bad Apple cover. But at least that means I'm improving!
SynthV was pretty hard to ajdust to honestly, but I found notebending worked out usually great for me, which is how I tend to prefer tuning. With less parameters, I am kinda prone to getting confused about what I should do and what exactly does what or how things work, but I'm slowly figuring it out.

I'd like to buy the full version of the editor and Saki sometime when I have more money, but maybe I should wait until there are more voices that I really like, otherwise I'd spend all that just for Saki...

All in all, I feel like my love for vocal synths has really rekindled and I'm as excited as ever about them! I don't really know why I have been in a slump all year, but maybe it was just the nature of the year that got to me

MOMO THE CHIHUAHUA

Momo has been doing great! She's learning how to be okay with going outdoors more, so we like to take her to the front yard every now and then to run around and she enjoys it. Thankfully, she's really great off leash too and doesn't go really anywhere that isn't a quick run to the front door so she can freely run around. Of course, if you close the door, she goes back to being really nervous, but that's okay! We normally aren't outside without the door open.

JAPANESE

My Japanese is really improving I've been trying to get into more of a rhythm with it, and I'm noticing I can partially understand songs and even anime now when I listen closely! I've been watching some newer anime in Japanese just to force myself to be in that space more, and a few times through and I can really get what's going on! I also bought myself Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar recently so that has been a huge help in my journey of learning!

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Yay, new Momo updates! Such a cute story about her getting used to being in the front yard!

Honestly, hearing Miku sing "Every Heart" was one of the high points of my day :) . Those higher, clearer parts really work for her. It's such a beautiful song!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)