• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Macne Nana or Ruby?

Stigbn

Aspiring Fan
Jul 21, 2018
Denmark
Hi

I've just had the trial of Macne Nana English, and I still don't know if I should get her...(but I probably will, later) It's a really charming voice and I actually like her accent (some don't like it), but the voice seems rather 'erratic' (some words are harsher/louder than others) and I think she sounds best in the lower octave. She can actually sound a bit like Bjork here (which I like). But when she goes up an octave the voice changes and gets a little shrill, not unpleasant, but very different. So I was thinking, that maybe Ruby was a better choice - even though I don't particularly like the style of music she's mostly used for, like RnB and similar. Is there some examples of Ruby in slow ballads?

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
From what you've written, it sounds like you've really got your heart set on Nana. Having worked with her trial, yes, she's got some quirks, but working those quirks out isn't super difficult. Keeping her tone consistent is mostly just a matter of parameter and/or EQ manipulation. It sounds intimidating, but once you get started, it's not bad at all!

So I say, go for her. I think it's better to get a VB you love that might be challenging, rather than a VB that's slightly easier but not as appealing to you. Your love of that voice will keep you motivated and help you continue to improve!

___

Oct 8, 2019
I honestly wouldnt recommend Ruby out of the sole reason of how messy and unprofessional her development was and if asked for my opinion Id rather have people support more responsibly made voicebank. Some might would prefer me to omit this part but it played major role in me deciding against getting Ruby so I've decided to include it. On top of that she's supposedly lower quality than Nana.

Nana is my favorite engloid so I'm biased here too jhgfd but if you're unsure try looking into Avanna perhaps? Since you seem to be interested in slow ballads and such. On top of that shes on sale rn for around 30 euro...so its good time to get her if you decide you like her~.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I don't have an opinion on which you should get, I'm just gonna post some slow songs I found with Ruby as you requested (hopefully some fit your taste). It was actually quite difficult to find songs that weren't club-eque, fast-paced stuff, I think I clicked like every Ruby song ever on YouTube, so I had to give up on the "actual ballads" search and just suggest "songs that are relatively slow/calm and not clubin' sounding or creepy/horror songs"...

Here's another Whitney Houston cover that sounds nice.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
So I say, go for her. I think it's better to get a VB you love that might be challenging, rather than a VB that's slightly easier but not as appealing to you. Your love of that voice will keep you motivated and help you continue to improve!
I agree with peaches--part of the fun of working with a vocal synth is working with a voice you like. If you really prefer Nana, you should get her.

At the same time, I don't think the style of music that a synth is usually used for is necessarily a great reason for avoiding a synth. I guess there's a marketing-esque aspect to it, were you don't want people to avoid listening to your music because they think it's a different genre than it is. That could be a really valid argument, depending on your goals. But just because others don't use a synth for a certain genre doesn't mean you can't if you want to. When artists do that, it's an opportunity for people to see what they've done as that much more different and cool.

Stigbn

Aspiring Fan
Jul 21, 2018
Denmark
Thanks for all the feedback! Yes, I was thinking that I might be able to control her volume by editing.
I actually have Avanna, I bought her 5 years ago, when I started out with vocaloid. I've not been active for several years with English speaking vocaloids, I've just been using Miku Dark as a stand-in voice in my compositions, using random japanese words, just to hear if my 'songs' were ok. Back to Avanna, even though she has a nice 'timbre'/sound, I think she sounds a little too 'sleepy' for me, and she doesn't really inspire me, so I haven't installed her on my new computer.
Thanks Uncreepy for the examples, they convinced me that I definitely don't want Ruby, she has a certain accent that I don't like, sorry to anyone who likes her, it's just my weird opinion.
So, this makes it easier to decide, I have to get Macne Nana. I've compared Gumi English and Macne Nana these last weeks, while I had Nana, and while Gumi has a certain warmth, and sort of like 'sunshine' in her voice, Macne Nana seems more wild with lots of character, and the voice has more high-frequencies even in her low octave, maybe because of better sampling.

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
I'm never been a fan of Nana but she does have a nice tone I don't own her so I cant comment on her. I would recommend Eleanor or Cyber Diva even Daina if you like her tone. Gumi is also a good one she has nice tone I much prefer to the crypton English voice banks. Do you have V5?

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
Personally, I like Nana a lot more. Ruby sounds super nasally and can give me a bit of a headache when I listen to her sometimes

Nana has a super cute voice, and is super soft on the ears

But you go for whichever voicebank you want!!! Its better to buy a voicebank that you want rather than one you don't

Stigbn

Aspiring Fan
Jul 21, 2018
Denmark
I'm putting Nana on hold. I only really like her octave between approx. A2-A3. Over that I don't really like her voice that much - but maybe I change later.
And I don't like to use Daina (I already have her, but not installed), she has a very nice sound/timbre but there's some of her accent I don't like, so...
I should really put the small icons on so people can see what I have - I'll get that done... I also have Gumi, Avanna, Luka, Amy, Chris, Meiko and Miku (of english voices).
I found someone on youtube making covers of Kate Bush songs using Cyber Diva, and I really think she sounds great on them, so if I decide to get another vocaloid I would probably go for her. She's of course for V5 and I think it's a bit of a pain to use V5, but I can use it.
But maybe I'll wait and get Synth V and Eleanor when there is a VST version of Synth V.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Kanru tweeted today that he's starting beta testing for the VST with people who own Synth V Pro, if that helps.

Reactions: Stigbn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)