• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

midi and vocaloid 5

Stigbn

Aspiring Fan
Jul 21, 2018
Denmark
I've probably mentioned this before, back when Vocaloid 5 was introduced. But I've recently started to experiment with it again, and there's one thing that bothers me very much.

You CAN'T export midi from Vocaloid 5! And as I compose songs directly in it, it's major problem for me. I use to export midi from Piapro, then I can have my tune in my DAW (seeing the notes) and then I can harmonize in my DAW with other instruments. With Vocaloid 5 I have to go back and forth and check the notes all the time. Also if you ever needed to print the score (for a choir or something) then you would also need to be able to export the MIDI (both Piapro and Synth V can do it!).

So, any solutions for Vocaloid 5?

Stardust

Vocal Synth Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2020
I know this topic is mostly done, but, as someone who has struggled with this as well and did not know SynthV could load VPRs, I want to ask if SynthV Basic Edition is able to export as midi, or is that feature only for the Professional Edition?

Stardust

Vocal Synth Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2020
:kanon_lili:Well, that fixes one of my biggest issues in music making. Thank you:kokone_lili: Sorry if this question is off-topic, but, if I forget to uninstall the Basic Edition before installing the Professional Edition when I purchase it, will I have issues? I recall Peaches mentioning once to uninstall Basic before Professional or else it glitches up somehow.

Stardust

Vocal Synth Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2020
That makes sense. Still, I'll try to remember to uninstall it before installing the Professional Edition.
Last question, I promise:kyo_lili: It says for the Lite voicebanks that they can't be used commercially, but I couldn't find anything about that for the Basic editor. I'm not sure if I want to make any covers or songs I make be commercial, but I just want to make sure that you can use the Basic editor for commercial purposes so I don't accidentally break it's Code of Conduct, rules, usage, or whatever the word would be for things like these.

Stardust

Vocal Synth Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2020
No worries! Perhaps I'll just cave and finally get the editor just to be on the safe side, even if I'm just using it for midi exporting usage for now. I have been wanting it for a while anyways.

• Love
Reactions: ___

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
No worries! Perhaps I'll just cave and finally get the editor just to be on the safe side, even if I'm just using it for midi exporting usage for now. I have been wanting it for a while anyways.
If you’re just using it for midi exporting it should be fine! The issue comes when you make a song fully in Basic with a SynthV vocal and try making money off of it... I’m honestly not sure how they’d KNOW it was used with Basic, considering all paid vocals work in Basic, but you never know.

(I do highly recommend investing in the full editor though — it’s pretty inexpensive for an editor, and I like it a lot!)

Reactions: Stardust and ___
I will be honest, I've tried several times to use the Vocaloid 5 Editor the way I use the Vocaloid 4 Editor, and I absolutely can't figure it out. I've been avoiding coming to this forum and admitting it, since it's embarrassing, but I really should try to overcome this problem. Rather than straightforwardly entering notes and syllables using the intuitive click-and-drag method, all of a sudden I need to concern myself with vibrato being super weird, plus so much seems to hang on the dozens and dozens of "styles" (none of which I need as I'm doing classical music), and I don't see an easy way just to tell the voice bank what I want it to do.

Sure, I could just keep working in the Vocaloid 4 Editor and import to Vocaloid 5, but at this rate if I can't get over this hump with the Vocaloid 5 Editor, before long the Vocaloid 6 Editor will come out! So I apologize for venting and ranting, but if anyone has found a way to get into using the Vocaloid 5 Editor (I will probably be using mostly Ken and Kaori, plus all my imported V3 and V4 Vocaloids), or knows of some good resources, I'd really appreciate it. :)

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
Pigeon is slowly creating a V5 doc of how to use it for beginners if you want to check it out.
Pigeon's Guide to V5
It is incomplete for now, but it is good to read. :kiyoterunatural_lili:

You don't have to use Styles. Most of the time I don't since some I don't like or haven't found the one that I really like to use yet. So I have styles off and just go to Voice Color (even if I would like the Singer's Preference since I'm spoiled from Piapro Studio :len_smile_lili:) Vibrato is neat and if you have the wave option on you can increase or decrease how much vibrato you want on the note and if you hold left mouse button you open up the option to how strong or weak the vibrato will be and how it ends like(?)

Well.... I'm not an expert on V5, sadly, but I know @patuk loves Ken so she could have some good pointers on how to use him and on V5. :sonika_ani_lili:

Oh my god, I put down twice Peaches instead of Pigeon, good thing I caught that

Reactions: ryuusei86

Stigbn

Aspiring Fan
Jul 21, 2018
Denmark
Coming from Piapro I've slowly getting used to edit in Vocaloid 5. Even though I miss the default vibrato from Piapro I sort of like that I have to decide the vibratostyle for every note (you can select several notes and put on vibrato for all though, but I mostly edit note by note), but it sure takes time. I never use any of the 'styles', I find that they sound unnatural for me, mostly I find that they sound out of tune, and I don't need to use any of the effects (reverb/compressor etc) as I'm used to do that i my DAW anyway.
What annoys me is that some of the attacks and release effects are really good but I always have to lower the level, or make the attack much shorter and such, or else they are way too much for me. On a positive side I like the Exciter to lower or intensify the vocal here and there.
Also if you are used to V4 : in V5 you don't need to take care of overlapping notes - this is a big advantage IMO.

It has some advantages over Piapro (I don't know if this is advantages over Vocaloid 4 as I've never used it): You can insert Japanese Romaji without splitting in syllables - great! (don't use versals in Japanese though). Some english vocaloids like Gumi English behaves better, she can now sing through several notes using "-" without stopping - that is a problem in Piapro.

• Wow
Reactions: GreenFantasy64

Stigbn

Aspiring Fan
Jul 21, 2018
Denmark
Just to clarify as I think it could be misunderstood, because we also have Synth V that behaves differently: What I meant about Romaji syllables is, that V5 splits the syllables automatically, like in English. Piapro can't do that with Romaji.

Pigeon is slowly creating a V5 doc of how to use it for beginners if you want to check it out.
That seems to have done the trick -- for the first time I've been able to make Ken sing a phrase the way I want him to. It took me about ten minutes to figure out the controls, and another 10 to figure out how to remove the HUGE GASPING BREATH he took at the beginning of the phrase. He has a nice voice, a bit like a cross between YUU and WIL of ZOLA V3.

Thanks for the help, as I feel I can at least get started now! :)

• Love

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)