• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Miku Concert Veteran

JGV

Aspiring Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
With the completion of Hatsune Miku X KODO, Crypton still has a very busy concert schedule ahead of them. I'm sticking to the Crypton/Miku concerts as other vocaloid concerts are few and far between.

What does it take to be a Miku concert veteran?

There is no definitive answer. For me, Dedication is the one word that defines a veteran. Dedication to travel, dedication to wait in long lines, dedication to be there.

So far, I've been to 5 shows and more to come. My resume only consist of:
Miku Expo 2014 Los Angeles (1 show)
Miku Expo 2016 North America-San Francisco and Los Angeles (2 shows)
Magical Mirai 2017 (2 shows)
Future:
Miku Expo 2018 USA- San Jose (1 show)
Miku Expo 2018 Europe- France and Germany (pending)
Magical Mirai 2019 (pending)

There are many fans more dedicated than I am. Some have attended all shows of a tour leg, some go to Magical Mirai every year, some that have been there since the beginning. I believe to be a true veteran, one has to attend at least one Magical Mirai.

But it's just more than how many concerts you've been to. It first starts by obtaining tickets. Purchasing tickets as soon as they go on sale. Also, obtaining the best possible seating for the concert.

Another thing is knowing the wotagei. The light stick choreography and chants. Knowing the wotagei of each song and adapting to new songs. Not knowing the wotagei really takes you out of the experience. Making you feel out of place. Also, wotagei evolves and changes for song over time, as new moves and chants are added. I stay up to date by watching videos of concerts from the past couple years.Knowing the wotagei gives you the full experience of a concert.

Are you a Miku concert veteran?
How many Miku concerts have you been to?
What else does it take to be a Miku concert veteran?

I hope this info is useful. Especially, for first time goers.

Reactions: Tk578

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
So far my only Miku concert experience is Magical Mirai 2017 (4 shows) with Magical Mirai 2018 to come, and if all goes well, I'll go to Miku Expo Europe in Germany too.

I won't go deep into the definition of a concert veteran, since it's hard to establish what makes one a veteran besides attending several shows and showing dedication in general

But basically becoming a concert veteran requires money too. How much, it depends on where you live. As an European myself I can say that in the past years attending just one concert took a lot of money when you had to fly to a different continent for that (at least compared to a fan based in Japan for example). This year there's concerts in Europe too though, thankfully.

Just saying, but you can be dedicated without always flying huge distances, getting the best possible seats and so on. Not every dedicated concert-goer can afford the most expensive tickets especially if they're attending several concerts within a relatively short time. If you have to seriously save money for a year or more to be able to attend just one event, that's dedication in my opinion.

Above all I think a concert veteran knows how to enjoy the show. Even if they don't know all the chants and "correct" use of lightsticks, what matters is knowing how they get the most out of the concert experience. I think that especially first time goers make the mistake of trying to follow the "penlight choreography" (as I like to call it) by others too closely and that way losing some of the performance (this is personal experience).

For some, wotagei is what makes the concert experience amazing, for some it's something else. A veteran knows how they themselves enjoy the concert most.

Faiyez

Notorious Heretic
Apr 16, 2018
Costa Rica
myanimelist.net
I guess I have an unusual history.

The first showings of Miku Expo 2016 in Fukuoka, of all places

IA -PARTY A GO-GO- in Costa Rica

My heartfelt attempt to attend Magical Mirai last year was botched at the last minute (fortunately the tickets didn't go to waste).

I'm going to be in Mexico for Miku Expo 2018.

No solid idea of what I'm doing after that. I was really not a fan of September typhoon weather in Japan, but I know I'll have to bear with it at some point for the sake of making it to MM. Rather see Europe in winter at this point.

My own two cents is that having to go out of your way for a concert on at least two occasions should make you a veteran. It seems like a low bar because we know about some REALLY dedicated people in this fandom. However, we should note that there are way more people who've yet to see a single show and would love to. Everything is relative.

Pomelo

In 2D hell
Apr 8, 2018
I've been to exactly one Miku concert because no one cares about Canada! (And also I'm broke, so I can't leave the country for a concert).

But yeah, I went to her Toronto concert back in 2016(?) with Frags. It was an amazing experience, actually my second concert ever. Even if I didn't like most of the songs, just being in that atmosphere with other Miku fans and jumping around and waving light sticks etc. made it way worth it.

I also went to IA's PARTY A GO-GO concert at Otakuthon in Montreal last year! That was another great experience, and I liked more of the songs. Also, we got a way better light stick (battery powered with several colours vs. the chemical kind you snap). My boyfriend really dislikes Vocaloid, but he went to both with me and actually really enjoyed the experience. :kaito2_move:

My only recommendation if you're hella short like I am is to wear heels and/or be on top of ordering tickets close to the stage. You will absolutely not be able to see anything otherwise bc people will be up from their seats and dancing around.

Last edited:

WintermintP

Lead Guitar, One Minute Winter
It's a little sad when it comes to the fact that these shows happen at times like October and December. People like me are still in classes (college) and won't be able to attend any of these concerts. Also, I won't disclose anything, but my experiences with their song contests makes me all the more inclined to not go, and if you want to talk about why, please ask via PM as I don't want to start another flame war.

Regards,
WintermintP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)