• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Questionable Artist Credits on Google Play

After browsing Hatsune Miku tracks on the Google Play Store, I found a few things very odd.

I will start with this album. I was excited to see this album cover because I was looking for this album by the VOCALOID producer Tiara. The result is this weird thing which uses the cover art of a VOCALOID album but features two tracks by some female English vocalist I don't know. And my mobile view doesn't credit any artists for this album.

Another thing I found was a cover of OkameP's song "Sinner" on this album. Besides that this vocalist sounds like a parrot with throat ache, I never heard of any OkameP covers to be released commercially. This one costs 99 cents. The facts that the lyricist Aka Heru is not credited and that this is the only OkameP song being on sale there makes it even more questionable.

What do you think about this? Did you find other odd examples?

And now that I started this, I have to say that I didn't buy music on Google Play yet. Do they provide MP3 / FLAC download links or can you only save your tracks in the Google Music app?

Lille

Aspiring Fan
May 3, 2018
I can only help with the last question :sonika_lili: I bought sasanomaly's albums M(OTHER) and Takarabako on Google Play through my laptop's browser, and it allowed me to buy the music and then download them as regular files. Now, I don't have the Google music app on my... laptop? Chrome? I just don't have it. So when I downloaded the file, Google was like "right, you have one go and if you want to download it again, you can only do that through Play Music." So the purchase will be always associated to your Google account, but if you want to download it somewhere again you're gonna need Play Music. First time, though, you can do it at the link it'll give you.

On my phone, checking these albums on my Play Store app, I don't see the option to download them again. They both have the little check like "hey, you bought it!" and also the "wanna hear it?" button, but since I don't have the music app, it is saying "well, if you wanna hear it you're gonna need Play Music." I know that the music you bought on Google Play Music can be hard offline, naturally. I'm 99% sure you can download it from the app.

I hope this is not confusing! If it is, please let me know.

I can only help with the last question :sonika_lili: I bought sasanomaly's albums M(OTHER) and Takarabako on Google Play through my laptop's browser, and it allowed me to buy the music and then download them as regular files. Now, I don't have the Google music app on my... laptop? Chrome? I just don't have it. So when I downloaded the file, Google was like "right, you have one go and if you want to download it again, you can only do that through Play Music." So the purchase will be always associated to your Google account, but if you want to download it somewhere again you're gonna need Play Music. First time, though, you can do it at the link it'll give you.

On my phone, checking these albums on my Play Store app, I don't see the option to download them again. They both have the little check like "hey, you bought it!" and also the "wanna hear it?" button, but since I don't have the music app, it is saying "well, if you wanna hear it you're gonna need Play Music." I know that the music you bought on Google Play Music can be hard offline, naturally. I'm 99% sure you can download it from the app.

I hope this is not confusing! If it is, please let me know.
Much thanks.
If it doesn't give me a download link on my mobile phone, I will just download it on my PC and copy it to my phone. If it's a regular file then it can be copied.
I just prefer audio files over offline streaming apps because of my Walkman and to play edit levels of these songs in Project DIVA.

Reactions: Lille

Lille

Aspiring Fan
May 3, 2018
No problem! On the computer I assure you will be able to get it. I enamoured these albums on my mobile google play for a good few minutes, and searched a lot because I didn't want to waste my credits on something I couldn't download (my go-to music player is Pulsar+). I could've gotten it on my phone already but I wasn't sure (and still am not) if I would be able to download without Play Music, so on the browser it was a safe game :) And yes, sasanomaly's songs particularly came all in mp3, inside their proper zip folders.

That moment when you notice that your loved nekobolo is also known as sasanomaly.
A couple of other things I noticed:

- some artists like CircusP or even Hatsune Miku herself are listed as two artists if their writings are slightly different (like "CircusP" / "Circus-P")
- artists like otetsu and Mitchie M appear in recommendations but they have no tracks on their pages

Last edited:

Lille

Aspiring Fan
May 3, 2018
Ah, right, that reminds me of something weird too. So, um. PowapowaP was also called Siina Mota. If I search for the P name, it suggests Shiina Mota (no tracks) and siinamota (with tracks). When I go on the second option, it gives me the Top 10 tracks, which are all from his only album listed. However, said artist is in an album called 0001: A Galaxy Odyssey, which is sold on Google Play, which can even be bought either wholly or just individual songs, including his own song. If I wasn't already aware of such album and hadn't searched for it myself, I wouldn't know he was in it. But it is nowhere on his individual "page", or whatever that is supposed to be, since, given the facts, it is not very helpful. I don't understand.

idoltrash69

リンちゃんなう!
This one specifically bothers me a lot. It doesn't only credit Rin as the artist, but it's also re-distributing the song without the consent of iroha (who is the producer). The worst part is that it actually costs money. I can't find out how to link it here, but here's a picture:

Screenshot_20180524-194343.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)