• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Questions About Vibrato

Nokone Miku

Aspiring Lyricist/Producer
Jul 14, 2021
www.youtube.com
Questions
  1. Any tips for using the pitch bend parameter for vibrato instead of the regular vibrato setting. Like, is it okay to used a sawtooth most of the time, or should I take the effort to make curves? I've played around with what I call "shark tooth" patterns. Sometimes pitch bend just makes things sound weird and sometimes it just feels like it has no effect.
  2. Are there times when it might be more desirable to use a tremolo DAW plugin in parts of the vocal track, rather than doing it within Piapro Studio tuning?
  3. I've seen people use the setting where it automatically sticks a little bit of vibrato on every note. Is this typical? I turned it off.
  4. I've used really "fast" vibrato to smooth over vowel-to-vowel transitions. Is there a better way to do this?
I try out stuff on my own, but I want to know if I'm just making things harder for myself by doing things certain ways. Or maybe there are some perks or drawbacks to different methods that I'm not seeing. I'm sure there are things that I haven't thought of trying.

Last edited:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Is this question about vibrato (i.e., making the voice quaver a bit on the ends of notes; the setting adjusted by clicking the box to the lower right of the note)? If so, you might get more feedback if you change the question from "tremolo" to "vibrato."

In the past, I've usually let Piapro add vibrato if it wants to, since it will only add it to notes that are long enough by default, as I haven't generally thought it made the sound bad. It's easy enough to remove if you want to, as I've done on occasion--when you open the vibrato settings for a given note, there's an option for "none," I believe. You could always turn that around, though, too--turn it off be default and then turn it on for individual notes. It's completely up to you and what kind of style you want to use. I imagine the off-by-default approach is probably more similar to how a human singer would behave...except that I also assume it would be hard for a person to keep a sustained perfectly steady pitch, depending on the note length, which may be why Piapro adds vibrato by default.

Personally, I would opt for curves over straight lines, just under the assumption that organic things tend to be curved rather than having nice straight geometries. There's a curve tool in Piapro that should help with making curves.

I personally think that there's sort of a progression for how to do vibrato using the methods you've discussed, depending on how much you want the pitch to fluctuate. For general use/smaller warbles, I'd use the default vibrato controls. If those don't vary the pitch enough/in the way you need, use the pitch bends instead (Don't forget to set the pitch bend sensitivity as you require, to control the available range of the fluctuations.). Finally, if you need something really extreme (Or if you're not particularly skilled at drawing pitch bends, maybe? It seems to me like trying to draw vibrato with pitch bends by hand could be hard.), use the DAW plugin. IMO, that should maybe be a last resort, though--syncing up the automation in your DAW to the timing of the notes would be a small pain.

Nokone Miku

Aspiring Lyricist/Producer
Jul 14, 2021
www.youtube.com
Is this question about vibrato (i.e., making the voice quaver a bit on the ends of notes; the setting adjusted by clicking the box to the lower right of the note)? If so, you might get more feedback if you change the question from "tremolo" to "vibrato."
Ugh, I'm so stupid. The plugin I was looking at when I thought of this question has a tremolo function that made me start thinking about this stuff. Then I guess the word got stuck in my head!

Reactions: mobius017

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
Tremolo and Vibrato is in the same book but different story.

Tremolo is a steady increase and decrease in volume.
Vibrato
is a steady increase and decrease in pitch.
Basically.

If you can edit in editor then do it. Because after you print it to wave file, every edit can be destructive, especially with pitch and timing effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)