Random posts about various subjects by hamano

hamano

みくみくにしてくれた人 @Miku Expo Europe 2020
Apr 8, 2018
Finland
mobile.twitter.com
I guess someone has to make a start in this new section. I'm going to write about different Vocaloid-related subjects when I feel like doing so, therefore this will not be a regularly updated journal. My posts will probably be more for fun rather than being rich with information.

For my first post the best I could come up with was taking a quick look at the new Hatsune Miku V4X figma I got earlier this week.

20181101_185633.jpg

Here she is out the box:
20181104_185041.jpg
20181104_185104.jpg

As you can see her hair is quite glossy, which I'm not a huge fan of, but no complaints. I just feel that a satin finish would've looked better. Miku is gorgeous nevertheless!

Her sleeves limit her wrist joint movement more than I expected...
20181104_185320.jpg
Paintwork is neat, the only abnormality I found is in her left sleeve (picture above).

Her accessories are a bit of a disappointment. Now, I knew what accessories she comes with when I preordered her, but still. V4-chan's accessories are the same as the Miku 2.0's apart from the angel wings, which the new figma doesn't come with. V4 also has less optional hand parts. I wish Miku had been given something new... Her guitar has a cool metallic colour though!
20181101_192019.jpg

20181104_190705.jpg
She can still borrow 2.0-chan's wings. A true angel!

20181101_193300.jpg
Turns out that V4-chan is a bit smaller than her older sister, but I think her appearance is more refined and "cleaner" in a way.

She's now the third figma to join my family of Miku figures^^

20181103_204715.jpg

(Sorry for the poor lighting in the photos, I didn't have time to take photos during daylight).

hamano

Apr 8, 2018
Finland
mobile.twitter.com
Well, I haven't been very active with my journal, probably because I haven't had anything to write about.

Now I've made a small entry on my Miku Expo Cologne experience:

(Note: the text might not be too well composed, I wrote it in pretty much one go, also I didn't take too many photos, so this entry will not have more than 1 picture, sorry)

So, due to having some real life stuff like work, my trip was extremely short; I flew to Germany on Tuesday and flew back home the following day. I should've went there a day earlier, this time my schedule was way too tight.
Not to mention that my flight from Helsinki to Munich arrived late I was a bit anxious about making it to the connecting flight to Düsseldorf. The ICE train from Düsseldorf to Cologne was running a little late too.

After quickly stopping by my hotel to check in and leave some stuff there, I arrived at Lanxess Arena around 6pm when the general admission opened. I had a VIP ticket so I missed my chance for early entry and therefore I didn't even attempt making it to the official merch counter (the lines were long already when I got in). I'm not too bothered about this though, since I preordered the most important stuff (although I didn't get them before the event, thanks to the not so swift Finnish Post), and in my opinion the merch for Europe Tour wasn't exactly dazzling, I'm just not a big fan of the designs overall.
The VIP ticket included the special VIP gift bag too which included a notebook, a VIP pass, a wristband and a can badge.15442084158791905288296.jpg

One thing to criticize is that the security ordered me to throw away my water bottles and some snacks I had. Of course it's good that they take security seriously, but I wasn't happy to pay ridiculous prices for drinks inside the venue (4.50 € for a 0.4L cup of soft drink isn't exactly cheap). I didn't see any vending machines to get bottled drinks.

I was somewhat surprised about how small the venue felt (admittedly it was a lot smaller than at Magical Mirais of course). My seat was in Block 101 quite close to the stage and no tall people in front of me so I had a nice view^^ Show started on time at 8 pm. The setlist was superb in my opinion. Most of the songs included were songs I've already seen live in the past two years of Magical Mirai, but that's no problem, they were all great songs I'd be happy to hear live again and again. Most of the setlist content was something to be expected (a lot of classic well-known songs), but I have to mention that I was positively surprised about Ghost Rule, Unknown Mother Goose and Shinkai Shoujo :) I love those songs but I didn't expect to hear them. The setlist had two English songs, Glass Wall and Cybernetic. I have to admit I didn't care much about them, I simply didn't find them appealing, plus I don't really listen to English Vocaloid music anyway.

Here's the setlist:
Senbonzakura
Ghost Rule
Himitsu Keisatsu

<Miku's opening speech>
Alien Alien
Unknown Mother Goose
Glass Wall

Doctor Funk=Beat
Piano × Forte x Scandal
Roki
Rimokon
Rettou Joutou

Cybernetic
Shinkai Shoujo
Electric Angel
Viva Happy

Hoshikuzu Utopia
Luka Luka☆Night Fever

Birthday
<Band members introduction>
Kimagure Mercy
Satisfaction
Hatsune Miku no Gekishou
Melt
Hajimete no Oto

<Encore:>
Mahou Mitaina Music!
World is Mine
Tell Your World

I was positively surprised when Miku spoke in German! Unfortunately my understanding of the German language is very bad, so I didn't really understand what she said. I was happy for the German fans, and her speech sounded very well tuned to me.

The audience was overall more quiet and reserved than I expected. In the VIP section where my seat was, the audience was very much into the show, but simply didn't have experience in wotagei. Understandably so since most of the audience were first timers. The VIP section was closest to the Japanese audience though. The few times I glanced to the back of the audience, people were just sitting down motionless as if watching a chess game lol (I'm not saying that the audience should've been exactly like a Japanese otaku audience, but I would've loved to see more emotion from the audience, especially those at the back). One guy I met after the show told me that the audience was very quiet compared to the Paris concert. Also, filming and taking photos apparently wasn't forbidden. Especially one person taking photos with their flash on was a little disturbing, otherwise filming didn't cause inconvenience to me. (But to be honest, I still think Magical Mirai's policy of no photos or videos would've been better, although some people would've surely disobeyed anyway).

After the concert I met some old and new friends before returning to hotel. I tried looking for the Vocaberlin guys after the show, but saw no indication of a group photoshoot or heard anything about the afterparty. Also I developed a rather bad headache, possibly from dehydration, so I decided to skip the afterparty and have some rest.

After a night's sleep it was time to head home. During my return trip I concluded that German punctuality might be nothing more than a myth. ICE from Köln to Düsseldorf Hbf was late again forcing me to run for the connecting train to Düsseldorf Airport (I barely made it!). And of course the departure of my flight from Düsseldorf to Munich was also delayed. Though I have to take a bow for the Lufthansa staff for being able to fly the trip in shorter time than scheduled, thus meaning that arrival at Munich was only about 5 minutes late. After that it all went smoothly, and I was finally back home at about 8:30 pm (meaning the travel time in one direction was about 9.5 hours, including train rides in Germany, waiting times at airport and driving from Helsinki to home).

I'm really happy I was able to go and see my beloved Miku on her first European Tour and show my continuing support for her. Seeing her live always makes me full of joy that I can't really describe. In total this was my 10th Miku live performance (4 shows at Magical Mirai 2017, 5 at MM2018) and it's always special to be there cheering her on.
I'm also glad that the Europe tour provided many European fans who may not be able to travel far, a chance to see their favourites live. Let's hope Miku and friends will keep conquering the world and return to Europe soon!

Last edited:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
You may have written your post all in one go, but you gave a great summary of your experience. It reminds me of some of the whirlwind stuff I've pulled off now and again--brief, but a real adventure! Good for you! :miku_move::kaito_move:

Maybe more than anything else I've seen, your post makes me want to try harder to make it to a concert someday.

Reactions: hamano

hamano

Apr 8, 2018
Finland
mobile.twitter.com
Well, since 2018 draws to a close I thought I'd write a bit about what this year offered me. Time has passed so quickly...

The most important milestone in real life was getting a new profession. After 6 months of studying and practical training, I got all the licenses and permits, plus vocational education to work as a truck driver in June. After that I worked as a driver for a couple of months (fixed term contract), and then briefly went back to my old job as a gardener (fixed term again).

When it comes to Vocaloid stuff, I was fortunate to travel to Japan and attend Magical Mirai again this year, in both Osaka and Tokyo. Needless to say, the experience was superb. Did a lot of sightseeing in Osaka, as I have previously only spent only one day in Osaka, while my stay in Tokyo was more about shopping and letting my otaku side loose. Magical Mirai was a blast, this year was just as much fun as 2017 and I will definitely do my best to attend MM again in 2019!

And in December, Miku had her first concert tour in Europe! I was only able to attend the Cologne event, but being there for the first European tour was very important to me. Obviously the scale and atmosphere couldn't match that of Magical Mirai, it was a load of fun nonetheless. Finally after years of waiting Europe got a Miku Expo too. Hoping for a new European tour soon!

Besides the ton of general merch and CDs I bought, one purchase that stands out is that I finally bought Hatsune Miku V4X bundle. I've spent time practicing with it, but since I don't have prior experience with Vocaloid or DTM, I don't think I'll be making a full song anytime soon, let alone uploading it anywhere.

And finally, Vocaverse was born! I joined quite soon after it's launch and I've really enjoyed my stay here.
Initially I felt a bit like an outsider, since, unlike most of the early stage members, I didn't have history from VocaloidOtaku, but I found the people here to be kind and welcoming. Allow me to thank the VocaVerse staff, members and everyone involved for the existence of this community and having me here.

For next year I'm hoping to move to a bigger apartment at some point and finding a stable long term job. I'm determined to travel to Japan again for Magical Mirai and will surely keep supporting Miku with all my heart. I will do my best to get comfortable with making music and also keep up my drawing hobby (the graphics tablet I ordered will be in my hands on Wednesday btw^^, so I can start testing how it works).

Thank you all and have a Happy New Year!

xuu

fly like a butterfly
Apr 8, 2018
England
I'm glad you've had a great year! I was on hiatus for quite a while from VO especially as the servers started going to crap so I was kinda in the same boat, only really knew a couple of faces here. I hope you can go to Japan again next year, and have a happy new year!

hamano

Apr 8, 2018
Finland
mobile.twitter.com
Today I received the Magical Mirai 2018 Blu-ray (thanks to the Finnish Post by the way for delaying my package again, I was expecting it last week). So obviously I had to watch the concert footage tonight, which I just did. I'm gonna watch the bonus footage tomorrow when I have more time.

Here's the contents of the Limited Edition Blu-ray + Amiami's purchase bonus coaster. Alongside the Blu-ray, I also ordered a Racing Miku acrylic stand, which looks pretty cute!
20190108_191827.jpg

As for the concert footage, the camera work was really good and the audio quality is nice too. I don't think I'll comment on the concert itself here as I've already done it a couple of times on these forums after attending MM in August/September. I'll just say the setlist was excellent.
Watching the Blu-ray also reminded me how great the live versions of some of the songs are, for example I think I like "Dreamless Dreams" more as a live version than the original^^

I attended Magical Mirai 2018, and watching the footage brought back so many great memories, and in fact strenghtened my desire to attend MM again this year!

This photo, taken by me, shows where my seat was. The photo is from Sep. 1st, but the seat is close to the one I had on Sep. 2nd evening show (where the Blu-ray footage is from).
20180901_112051.jpg
I really wish I had done a photo review of MM18, but maybe next year.
I just wanted to post this picture too, for the sake of memories >_< I'm too shy to show my face though...20190108_194017.jpg

In other news, I got my pen tablet set up and finally managed to download Clip Studio Paint Pro, which came bundled with the tablet. I experienced problems yesterday, but now I had to uninstall the Wacom driver and setup files and reinstall them. Now I was able register my tablet and claim my software. I have tried to get a feel for digital drawing already, but I think my hand to screen coordination needs work, as well as exploring the features on Clip Studio Paint (remember that I have no previous experience with digital drawing).

Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
You got a really good haul on your purchases! Good for you!
Watching the Blu-ray also reminded me how great the live versions of some of the songs are, for example I think I like "Dreamless Dreams" more as a live version than the original^^
I've felt the same way about some songs. Sometimes real instruments, rather than digital ones, just seem to sound better. Or I think some songs even get remixed slightly for the live performances, though that could be just my impression.
This photo, taken by me, shows where my seat was. The photo is from Sep. 1st, but the seat is close to the one I had on Sep. 2nd evening show (where the Blu-ray footage is from).
Love that picture! Taken before the show starts, it really gives you the feeling that something big and awesome is coming!
I think my hand to screen coordination needs work
Does the Wacom have anything regarding screen calibration? I haven't used a tablet for art (not being much of a visual artist myself), but if a Nintendo DS can have a calibration screen where you fine-tune tapping on particular points with a stylus so that control is tight, it seems like a tablet dedicated to art might have something similar.

hamano

Apr 8, 2018
Finland
mobile.twitter.com
^Well, you can adjust pen pressure and such, but I just meant that it takes time to get used to looking at the screen and coordinating your hand movement accordingly. It's hard to explain and might not sound too difficult, but it's just something you need to get used to.

--------------------------------------------
And then a totally unrelated, but relatable tweet:

Last edited:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
^Well, you can adjust pen pressure and such, but I just meant that it takes time to get used to looking at the screen and coordinating your hand movement accordingly. It's hard to explain and might not sound too difficult, but it's just something you need to get used to.
Ah, I think that makes sense.

hamano

Apr 8, 2018
Finland
mobile.twitter.com
I haven't really been keeping up with my journal, so I might as well post something for a change.

Overall I've been fairly inactive here since mid-March, thanks to my new job. I started work in a company where I've worked before for a couple of months. Last time I was primarily a van driver, but this time around I started as a truck driver, delivering various building/construction supplies with a 26-tonne truck.

Unfortunately I haven't enjoyed myself very much. While the work itself isn't that bad, I'm having a hard time with being forced to do 11-13 hour shifts 5 days a week with tight schedules. Poor planning is the source of the trouble, us drivers are expected to be faster than what's realistically possible, let alone possible delays due to traffic etc. This in turn leads to working extra hours. Also my boss is very much dedicated to his job, and apparently expects everyone to be willing to work long hours and give away their free time for the best of the company.

I've seriously been thinking about quitting because all the stress. Or rather, I've decided to quit, I'm just unsure when (I haven't found a new job yet).
After work I really don't have the energy or time to do anything, I've even neglected my drawing hobby almost completely because of fatigue. It makes me sad I can't have time for hobbies apart from weekends (although I spend most of my Saturdays with house chores and taking care of various things that need to be done). I've had a lot of ideas and I've made a lot of sketches, but actually finishing an illustration seems difficult nowadays. I kinda lose the vision I have if I keep a 5-day break before being able to come back to a drawing, it suddenly seems impossible to finish, that's why I have some unfinished art I just don't feel like going back to.

Enough of that, here's a positive thing;
Magical Mirai is slowly closing in and my situation with tickets is great. I'll be attending the Makuhari Messe event only, and I have SS tickets for all 3 night shows (since they're accommodation plan tickets, they're costly because they're tied to an overpriced hotel stay, but at least AC was a way to get SS tickets for sure).

I've heard that the lottery reservation has been very harsh on a lot of people this year. My guess is that this year's change on the application procedure is to blame. In previous years, each application had primary and secondary ticket choices, so you could put SS as primary choice and S as secondary. This way if you didn't get an SS ticket for a particular show, you still had a chance to win S.
This year you had to choose whether to apply for SS or S, no secondary choice (I didn't see one at least). Many people probably applied for SS tickets, and chances of winning SS are way slimmer than with S tickets.

Anyway I managed to win the only lottery ticket I applied for, an S seat for Sunday noon show. In total I'll be seeing this year's concert four times. I'm already excited to travel to Japan again, I wish it was August already!

I've said before that I don't watch very much anime, but somehow I found myself watching both seasons of Love Live! Sunshine!! I've looked down on the series earlier as just a repetition of original Love Live series with new characters, but I found Sunshine entertaining, perfect for relaxing after work. Yohane ftw :D

Finally, when I started my journal, I kinda wanted to do photo reviews (or something like that) on my new figures and goods, but it hasn't really happened. But I got two new figures this week, both won from an online crane game, Toreba, by the way.
I've even managed to control my spending on the game! When I started I spent way too much, now it's pretty much under control.
Anyway, these two arrived this week:
1. Sega's Sakura Miku
Here she's posed next to Taito's Sakura Miku I got earlier. The Sega figure is bigger (and a lot heavier!) than Taito's. Both are lovely!

2. Chokonose Hatsune Miku
She's so adorable!

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I kinda lose the vision I have if I keep a 5-day break before being able to come back to a drawing, it suddenly seems impossible to finish, that's why I have some unfinished art I just don't feel like going back to.
*nods repeatedly*

Thanks for sharing the figure pics! Congrats on them!

uncreepy

Hungry for 🥧 𝒞𝒽𝑒𝓇𝓇𝓎 𝒫𝒾𝑒 🥧
Apr 9, 2018
USA
Sorry your job is cruddy. I guess driving trucks is difficult all around the world and the deadlines are insane. :{

I don't know how you make your drawings (do you draw an entire picture in one sitting?), but maybe you could try to break drawings apart by section? So maybe one day, you draw the sketch and stop. Then the next day, you do the line art. The next day, do the base color. And so on. (I used to do that while working and doing art commissions, it helped when I was too tired. It made it predictable to tell commissioners how long a piece would take.)

Lastly, those Miku figures are so cute!

hamano

Apr 8, 2018
Finland
mobile.twitter.com
I don't know how you make your drawings (do you draw an entire picture in one sitting?), but maybe you could try to break drawings apart by section? So maybe one day, you draw the sketch and stop. Then the next day, you do the line art. The next day, do the base color. And so on. (I used to do that while working and doing art commissions, it helped when I was too tired. It made it predictable to tell commissioners how long a piece would take.)
There's no way I could make a drawing in one go, I usually draw for 2 hours max and then stop and continue when I have time. My problem is that I make changes to the drawing all the time, so my drawing process is pretty scattered.

hamano

Apr 8, 2018
Finland
mobile.twitter.com
Hi journal! It's been a while again, hasn't it?
Now I tried to divide my post into segments to make it easier to read.

Work
Last time I was complaining about my job, and unfortunately things have only gone worse since last time. I'm actually working even longer hours now and the stress of impossible schedules has now lead me to resign from this job. My last day in this job will be Aug 2nd. I'm actually looking forward to it already. Somehow knowing that I'm not the only one having issues with this company helped me quit. One other driver is also planning to leave the company this autumn while one left in May. So the working environment here isn't very healthy. I certainly won't be missing this job. While I like the job itself, over-demanding and plain bad management ruins everything.

Japan trip & Magical Mirai
Anyway, I'm excited about the fact that my trip to Japan and Magical Mirai is only about a month away! This year I'll spend my time mostly in the Tokyo area with some day trips to nearby locations. This will be my 5th trip to Japan and I haven't yet visited Nikko although on every trip I've meant to. Maybe this year? I'd also like to go hiking, Mt. Takao is apparently quite a popular spot within easy reach from central Tokyo... my only concrete holiday plans at this point is Akihabara, I always spend multiple days wandering there, browsing the shops, popping to an arcade sometimes to play sone Project Diva Arcade or crane games. I'm looking forward to it!

Art
The Sega x Piapro figure design contest ends tomorrow, and while I was excited to take part, in the end I only managed to finish one design, as always I'm not 100% satisfied with the outcome of the illustration itself, the costume is pretty much what I wanted to create. It's pretty simplistic, but I just happen to prefer simple designs over complicated ones. You can see my entry here:

Figures
Lastly I'd like to showcase my new Miku figures I got since my previous update, photos are under spoilers.

1. White Dress ver. (Prize figure)
One of my favourite modules from the PD games! I love her outfit so much.
2. 10th Anniversary ver.
She was VERY expensive but totally worth every yen. Pictures won't do justice to the beauty of this figure. The sculpt and paintwork are excellent.
The colorful thingies on her twintails seem very fragile. I was afraid of breaking them when I attached her twintails on, thankfully they didn't snap.
I think the transparent effect on her boots looks neat!

I bought the memorial box version of this figure, so it came with this cool book about the history of Miku and Vocaloid, art, interviews etc.

3. Wedding Dress ver.
Another expensive figure, but again this was something I had to get. I mean, Miku in a wedding dress! You can't say no to that!
She's so gorgeous!
"I swear my eternal love to you..."

4. Pop Up Parade: Hatsune Miku
Pop Up Parade is Goodsmile Company's new line of cheap figures, and Miku is the opener of the series.
While she isn't very detailed (the panels on her armcovers for example have no details at all), I really like the appearance of this figure. The pose is really fun and cute.

Reactions: RazzyRu

uncreepy

Hungry for 🥧 𝒞𝒽𝑒𝓇𝓇𝓎 𝒫𝒾𝑒 🥧
Apr 9, 2018
USA
Sorry your job was really cruddy. At least you are leaving for bigger and better things, right?

Thanks for sharing your art for the contest and your figure pictures!

Also, wow, you've been to Japan a lot! Sounds like lots of fun, keep us updated when you get closer to your trip.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Sorry to hear that your job went that way. But hopefully your next one will be better and will give you a happier, healthier quality of life!

Congrats on your upcoming trip to Tokyo! Hope you have a great time and get some good sightseeing in!

I like your figure entry! Simple, cool-looking clothes for a summer design; I imagine simplicity doesn't hurt you when they consider actually making the figure, too. I love the little flower-shaped hair-ties, too. She looks cute!

Great figures! I really like the white dress figure; the rose on her head really pops. And that 10th anniversary figure is gorgeous!

hamano

Apr 8, 2018
Finland
mobile.twitter.com
This time I'd like to share my experiences about my trip to Magical Mirai this year. Visiting Mirai has become a yearly tradition for me as this is the third comsecutive year I've been there. This year was no disappointment, I had a lot of fun during my two-week trip to Tokyo of which the three days of Magical Mirai were the absolute highlight.

Before Magical Mirai

My flight left Helsinki on August 21st and I landed at Narita Airport on the morning of 22nd. Even though this was my 5th trip to Japan overall, I still hate the 9.5 hour long flight, thankfully Finnair flies direct between Helsinki and Tokyo so I don't have any transfers along the way.
My hotel for the first 4 nights was located near Minami-Senju station, which is one of the less pleasant areas in Tokyo. It's not dangerous by any means, it's just a bit run-down area with really nothing to see or good places to eat. The hotel was called Palace Japan, a cheap hotel with small rooms and shared bathrooms and showers, good value overall since I only needed a place to sleep. Following week I relocated to an APA hotel also in Tokyo, just to enjoy a higher grade hotel for a change.

Akihabara

Apart from the standard sightseeing stuff around Tokyo, I ended up spending several days of my trip in Akihabara obviously. I never left Akiba empty handed as there's always some Miku goods to buy. The many second hand shops around are fun to browse through even if you're not looking for something in particular.

Also being the arcade lover I am, I did spend a good amount of money on crane games too, and also managed to win a total of 4 plushies and the new Miku birthday figure (I forgot I had preordered her from Amiami earlier, so I'll soon have two of them haha). On top of that I managed to find the Miku mouse & mousepad set I always wanted at Tokyo Leisureland arcade. Additionally I had fun playing the arcade version of Project Diva, I even started to get accustomed to the button layout of the arcade machine!

15681225954236213546108339141644.jpg
There's something special about winning these yourself instead of buying them.

I also paid several visits to the Hatsune Miku music cafe at Anion Station. While the limited goods for sale there weren't too exciting in my opinion, I used to go there for a light lunch and a break from the hectic atmosphere of Akihabara. The food and drinks were good too.

20190826_123556.jpg
Hatsune Miku Music Cafe: "Miku's negi record curry" and "Miku's bluegreen kiwi drink" - delicious!

20190826_132036.jpg
Dessert. It turned out the guy sitting across the table was a guy I know on Twitter. That's his Nendoroid.

Magical Mirai

Arrival

The number one reason I went to Japan in the first place! I had booked 3 accommodation plan packages so I had accommodation for 3 nights at Maple Inn Makuhari. The location of this hotel isn't 100% ideal for Mirai, as it's about a 15-20 minute bus ride away from Makuhari Messe, the location of Magical Mirai, but it's alright.
Anyway, early morning of the 30th, I set off from Tokyo to take my bags to Maple Inn and then swiftly catching the bus for Messe. Now, as I was on accommodation plan, there was no way of picking up my tickets beforehand, so going to the venue early didn't make any sense. The ticket pickup desk opened at 11, and when I arrived there there was maybe 5 people in front of me at the KNT ticket line. Once I got my tickets I could join the entrance line. Unfortunately the end of the line stretched outside the venue, and me forgetting to bring my umbrella meant that I got soaked while lining up in the rain for 45 minutes.

When I finally reached the exhibition area I immediately darted for the official goods line and managed to get almost everything I wanted. The only thing that sold out in front of me was the rubber wristbands, but that wasn't such a big deal really.

Exhibition

20190830_143335.jpg
Welcome to Magical Mirai!

There's always a lot to see and do (and buy!) at Mirai, with several booths selling Miku-related goods and showcasing different collaborations and projects.
The yearly tradition of displaying a life size Miku statue based on the main visual of the year had been improved, as this year you could walk around the statue and view it all around. And FYI, she had a frilly underskirt which prevented panty shots. You still had people laying on the floor with cameras trying to get a good shot though... anyway, I think the sculpt of this year's figure tops last year, it was so well done and a pleasure to look at.

20190830_143502.jpg
She's so beautiful!
20190901_152547.jpg

For Luka's 10th Anniversary they had a special section dedicated for her with a life size figure, exhibitions and a wall to place your congratulation message on.

I won't go through all the displays they had, but there was lot to see from Snow Miku displays to Goodsmile Racing cars and Yamaha's product displays.

The corporate booth area was where you could spend money left after the official merch. Figures, plushies and all sorts of merch from different companies. Some free giveaway stuff too.

As always, the Piapro wall was there, although a bit hidden this year, where you could draw or write a message. I wanted to draw something there, but ended up chickening out as my drawing process is so slow I would've run out of patience (though I would've probably messed it up anyway, as erasing and redrawing isn't really an option with markers).

Live shows

20190830_161748.jpg
Waiting for the concert to start (Aug. 30th)

I attended 4 out of the 5 live shows of the three days, all 3 night shows and one daytime live on Sunday. All my night lives were SS seating, thanks to accommodation plan, though I was always placed in the same A7 block which is at the front, but off to the right side of the stage. They were good seats, with best (Saturday) being in 2nd row, but I wish I had been a bit more towards the center. Also being right in front of the loudspeakers, I think my right ear didn't like being in the same place 3x2 hours.
For the Sunday daytime concert I was on the left side and a bit further away from the front, a good seat still.

In regards of the setlist, all 3 days had some setlist changes, and I loved the setlists. (But to be honest, it'd take sone effort to create a setlist I didn't like). The first four songs used the R3 real time control model, which has been massively improved since I first saw it in 2017. I actually quite like the R3 incarnation of Miku, somehow she seems more "alive" and natural than the Sega model. I still think the R3 could be tweaked more, especially for the face, but overall she's looking good.

Luka had her own 10th Anniversary segment in the concert with 5 songs, the last of them being Jump for Joy, a duet with Miku. The part before this song where Luka called Miku and she appeared on stage followed by a Miku congratulating Luka and having a small chat was adorable.

Meiko, Rin and Len got one song each, additionally Rin and Len sang one duet. Kaito got the short straw this year with appearing only in Oedo Julia Night together with Miku.

The highlights of the setlist for me were Kire Carry On, Hibana and Baby Maniacs, I was also glad to hear Greenlights Serenade again. The last song before the encore, Boku ga yume wo sutete otona ni naru made, was the most emotional song for me.

The encore started with a tribute to late wowaka, with a different song each day, followed by a Magical Mirai staple, Hand in Hand. To finish off the concert, Miku performed this year's theme song Bless Your Breath in her MM2019 module.

20190831_190214.jpg
Thank you! I had a great seat for the Saturday night concert.

When the Sunday concert ended and Miku exited the stage, I had a moment of worry when they didn't announce next year's Mirai right away. Thankfully in just a moment the message announcing Magical Mirai 2020 appeared above the stage and crowd naturally went wild.

Tsunagaru Mirai

On Miku's birthday after Mirai I attended the (unofficial) Tsunagaru Mirai afterparty. While the entrance fee of 6000 yen was a bit steep, there's no way I could've skipped it. Meeting new people and old acquaintances, DJ live, buffet drinks and food was more than worth it.
A small little mishap took place though as I missed the last bus for Makuharihongo station and my hotel and had to take a taxi. That ended up costing more than 1000 yen (bus ticket for the same trip would've been about 200 yen), but oh well.

After Magical Mirai

Relocated from Maple Inn back to Palace Japan with what was already a considerable amount of luggage, for 3 more days before flying back home on Thursday morning. When booking my trip I initially planned to fly home early this week (Sep. 9~11th), but the flight home on previous Thursday was cheaper. Hearing the news about the typhoon that struck Kanto region, it seems I got a lucky escape thanks to Finnair's pricing.

Now I'm back at home suffering from the post-Mirai depression and eagerly waiting for Miku Expo Europe. I should try and find a place for all the goods I bought, seems I'm starting to run out of space in my current place.

20190907_131932.jpg
This isn't even all the stuff I carried home. Still, where do I put everything?

Will I go next year? Definitely. I'm likely to go for the Tokyo leg of MM again, which will take place in December 2020. Osaka takes place in August, but I feel Tokyo is preferable for a number of reasons; such as (probably) more company booths, more people at the live shows for a superb atmosphere, the cool weather (Japanese summer is a bit hot for outdoor activities) etc.

I'd like to thank not only the organizers of Magical Mirai and all companies, staff and other individuals involved, but all the fans and creators too for making this year's Mirai another experience I'll never forget, and above all big thanks to Miku and friends for always being there for me, giving me joy everyday. I feel like my bond with Miku has strenghtened even further thanks to this, "pilgrimage" if you will, and she will always be a huge part of my life, I truly love her.

Attachments

Last edited:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
That mouse pad is gorgeous! And I think it's really cool that something like the Miku cafe exists and can run (at least I assume) year-round.
And FYI, she had a frilly underskirt which prevented panty shots. You still had people laying on the floor with cameras trying to get a good shot though...
Oi, that's really shameless. I find it heartwarming to know that the designers thought of that and prevented it, though, especially given the somewhat questionable design element that Goodsmile was allowed to use for the Kentaro Yabuki x osoba figure.
The first four songs used the R3 real time control model, which has been massively improved since I first saw it in 2017.
Oh, that's interesting. So I guess they must have a live performer doing the dancing for the first three songs.... If they expand use of that model, it could definitely impact set list choices in the future, since a human performer might not be able to dance continuously for as long.
The part before this song where Luka called Miku and she appeared on stage followed by a Miku congratulating Luka and having a small chat was adorable.
Wow, that's really cool!

Great travel log, @hamano! I feel a little like I went, too! (Though I'm not going to live on travel logs indefinitely. :) )

hamano

Apr 8, 2018
Finland
mobile.twitter.com
That mouse pad is gorgeous! And I think it's really cool that something like the Miku cafe exists and can run (at least I assume) year-round.
The Miku music cafe is hosted by AniOn Station for limited periods of time (currently the 3rd time), unfortunately it's not a permanent thing.

Oh, that's interesting. So I guess they must have a live performer doing the dancing for the first three songs.... If they expand use of that model, it could definitely impact set list choices in the future, since a human performer might not be able to dance continuously for as long.
No live dancer there, while the model was developed for the R3 system, the performances were just normal playback like with the Sega model used for other songs. What Crypton is doing is slowly testing the new model out and developing it based on the fans opinions. I think the official name for this udated model was "19Miku" or smthng.

Personally I'm a bit opposed to the idea of real time control, maybe for the MC parts is good, but I somehow dislike the thought of Miku being controlled real-time by some dancer. If said dancer were to make a mistake or something, it would be instantly reflected in Miku's dancing too, which I think would be a bad thing, not to mention the exhaustion of a live dancer you pointed out.
We're so used to Miku performing the same dances flawlessly over and over again and not getting tired during live shows. I don't know if fans want to see that "human touch" in her movement and possible mistakes a dancer might do.

Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
The Miku music cafe is hosted by AniOn Station for limited periods of time (currently the 3rd time), unfortunately it's not a permanent thing.
Ah, I see. Well, either way, really: it keeps coming back, which is almost as cool as if it were permanent. Either way, it's awesome that such a cafe can exist where Mirai-goers can meet up with new/old friends outside of waiting in line for the concerts.
Personally I'm a bit opposed to the idea of real time control, maybe for the MC parts is good, but I somehow dislike the thought of Miku being controlled real-time by some dancer. If said dancer were to make a mistake or something, it would be instantly reflected in Miku's dancing too, which I think would be a bad thing, not to mention the exhaustion of a live dancer you pointed out.
We're so used to Miku performing the same dances flawlessly over and over again and not getting tired during live shows. I don't know if fans want to see that "human touch" in her movement and possible mistakes a dancer might do.
I agree with this. Aside from the practical concerns, there are lots of ways that would qualify, in my mind at least, as an "authentic" way to experience Miku, but giving her too much human help detracts from that to me. Being an artificial "being" is a big part of her identity, and I think part of what fans enjoy is appreciating what she can do sort of "on her own" (Granted, her producer/other artist will have worked with her a lot before any concert song/etc.).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)