• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

(Synthesizer V / Eleanor Forte AI) Conlang Test #2

kozet

Conlanger
Jul 5, 2019
flirora.xyz

After over a year, the sequel to Conlang Test #1 has come! This time, Eleanor Forte AI sings the following square poem in Ŋarâþ Crîþ v9, both in rows and in columns:

venełan erionoros sivandełas crîði
rana nalfo. mêven łan
vesro; ħespe; čercas; ondis
cfjoþelþa lora aveneca gendroris.

When read in rows, it has the following meaning:

In the forest where the maple tree’s branches droop
Grow roots. The rain clouds
Are strong; alas, o (maiden), now
(my) leafless hair has left with the wind.

When read it columns, it instead means the following:

The roots of the maple tree are strong; the leafless
branches grow. Alas, (maiden)
Of rain whose hair droops, with the wind
the clouds have now left the forest.

(čêrca means ‘a person between twelve and eighteen years of age', with no distinction in gender.)

Each time, Eleanor is made to sing the poem as if she were singing in a different language, using the functionality added in Synthesizer V Studio version 1.5.0 for AI voicebanks. The most conspicuous aspect of this functionality is that most of the problems that Eleanor has when trying to sing in an unsupported language are also present when the language is set to something else, such as undesired velarization on /l/ and funky vowels. Throw in problems with not having the right phonemes in some languages and you’ll be having a lot of fun.

Using Mandarin pronunciation over English has a few benefits, though, such as having separate aspirated and unaspirated stops – useful for Ŋarâþ Crîþ v9, where 〈p t c č〉 are always aspirated. The greatest deficiency in this case (compared even to Japanese) is the lack of /v/. (Technically, Mandarin has no voiced stops, but plain /t k/ suffice for 〈d g〉.)

I also used the auto-pitching functionality in SVS Pro, though I turned down the settings from what I used in the ‘#’ video.
  1. 0:00 Intro
  2. 0:19 English – Has trouble with the 〈cfj〉 /kfj/ onset.
  3. 0:49 Japanese – Purer vowels, but has trouble pronouncing 〈r〉 /ɹ/ and 〈l〉 /l/ distinctly. Also has trouble with dental fricatives.
  4. 1:19 Mandarin Chinese – Better distinction between aspirated and unaspirated stops; can’t pronounce dental fricatives or 〈v〉 /v/.
WAV, SVP, Instrumental, Score (PDF)

Reactions: morrysillusion

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
this is cool! really love seeing some conlangs with vocal synths. quite a few years back i attempted a conlang but kinda got busy and have always planned to revisit conlangs with vocal synths. i was more curious about it too now that you can tell any AI voice to sing in a specific language, it seemed it could be useful for conlangs as to now have english voices sounds incredibly english or vice verse. it definitely seems tough to acheive no matter what, and enleanor's very strict english pronounciation probably doesnt help lol. nonetheless, its cool to see

Reactions: kozet

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Oh this is super cool actually!! I love this. Conlangs are so cool, and I do think that this new function could be helpful for simulating other languages. Also, pretty poem! It'd be neat to have "correct" pronunciation to check against (as someone who isn't terribly familiar with IPA symbols just yet).

kozet

Conlanger
Jul 5, 2019
flirora.xyz
It'd be neat to have "correct" pronunciation to check against (as someone who isn't terribly familiar with IPA symbols just yet).
venełan erionoros sivandełas crîði
[veneɬan eɹinoɹos sivandeɬas krìði]

rana nalfo. mêven łan
[ɹana nalfo mèven ɬan]

vesro; ħespe; čercas; ondis
[vesɹo ʕespe tʂeɹkas ondis]

cfjoþelþa lora aveneca gendroris.
[kfjoθelθa loɹa aveneka gendɹowis]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)