• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Question Tips for first time PV makers?

Sep 21, 2019
I'd love to try making a 2D PV to a song sometime, but to be honest I don't really know how I'd make an interesting PV. The closest thing I've ever done is an AMV with clips set to music, but no effects. Also, I'm looking for tips that aren't exclusive to After Effects since all the old versions have been discontinued and "buying" After Effects is out of the question for me because I strongly dislike subscription based software.

Is there any software that helps with making PVs (outside of the obvious video editor, of course)? What kind of work goes into making a PV? What are good programs outside of After Effects that are good for PVs?

If this information is of any use, I wouldn't be trying to make a full-blown animated PV (like a lot of Deco*27's recent stuff), I'd probably be trying to do something more along the lines of Jesus-P or maybeeee even HitoshizukuxYama. Here's a couple examples of the style of PV I'd be trying to do:

(Of course, any general PV making tips are appreciated.)

Reactions: GreenFantasy64

___

Oct 8, 2019
I have experience with this type of stuff and studied this type of video editing in school, the most important general advice I have is to have a plan, draw it down, storyboard it. Plan it properly.

And I'm warning you, from looking at these PVs you showed, they're way more complicated than they seem at a first glance and even taking the video editing aside, creating the assets alone would be extremely time consuming. If you're a beginner I estimate this to take you half a year at the very least.

Edit: also it appears these PVs have 3D parts as well so if you would like to make PV in this style youd need to have some skills in 3D besides MMD as well.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019
I have experience with this type of stuff and studied this type of video editing in school, the most important general advice I have is to have a plan, draw it down, storyboard it. Plan it properly.

And I'm warning you, from looking at these PVs you showed, they're way more complicated than they seem at a first glance and even taking the video editing aside, creating the assets alone would be extremely time consuming. If you're a beginner I estimate this to take you half a year at the very least.

Edit: also it appears these PVs have 3D parts as well so if you would like to make PV in this style youd need to have some skills in 3D besides MMD as well.
Thank you for this, Patuk! I figured they'd be more complicated than they look at first glance. Stick figure PVs it is, then! XD (I kid. I'd rather take half a year or more to put out something quality and not just stick figures, lol.)

I think I have a basic idea of how to create an illusion of 3D space (I accidentally did it in After Effects once, but I'm still trying to find another program that has a "camera" feature like that). Of course, I realize there's more than that so it looks like it's time for me to study more 3D stuff!

Do you have any advice in terms of storyboarding? I've tried storyboarding before, but I never quite figured out what I was supposed to do (and my drawings ended up being too detailed for a storyboard).

Also, since you say you have experience with this kind of stuff, do you know any good video editors for this stuff?

(Gah. Sorry I asked way more questions that I meant to, haha.)

Reactions: ___

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
I'm curious if there are better programs than After Effects that are liked and easy to use because I also don't like the subscription base thing. :matcha_smile_lili:

Also far as I know if you make a couple of squares (previews I think they were called...?) You make simple drawing in all of them with underneath the squares you put the lyrics that you want to follow along or know your timeline. I seen a few animatic videos and they flow through the musical or song and sometimes linger on few scenes.

• Wow
Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
I can't really offer much help aside from suggesting AviUtl. It's free, and it's what plenty of Japanese PV makers use. There were a few English tutorials around last time I looked, there's probably more now (chorvaqueen's made a few here)? The UI is incredibly simple and it's because of that that it's hard to get started (at least in my opinion), but I've seen some pretty cool results with it.

I know corasundae makes their videos in AviUtl, here's an example (not a full PV with many images but you could build up from something like this):

If anything, you could use this to get started.

___

Oct 8, 2019
I think I have a basic idea of how to create an illusion of 3D space (I accidentally did it in After Effects once, but I'm still trying to find another program that has a "camera" feature like that). Of course, I realize there's more than that so it looks like it's time for me to study more 3D stuff!
I say don't worry too much about that right now! I think you should start off with simpler PVs, something like Chururira Chururira Daddadda! There isn't
whole a lot to it besides sliding images with motion blur with the occasional wiggler but it still works!! It's simple but effective! Try doing something like that.

Do you have any advice in terms of storyboarding? I've tried storyboarding before, but I never quite figured out what I was supposed to do (and my drawings ended up being too detailed for a storyboard).
Think of the idea you have, how it flows and try putting those ideas down on a paper in a sequence. There's a lot to it ( some of my old teachers would probably roll their eyes at me for making it sound so simple >_> ) but hopefully this gave you some direction and will help you approach them better? Sorry, sometimes I have trouble putting ideas into words :kyo_lili: And yes! Don't bother making them too detailed :clara_lili:

Also, since you say you have experience with this kind of stuff, do you know any good video editors for this stuff?
I apologize! I can't help in this regard I'm sorry! Hopefully others will be a bigger help!

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
Okay..... now I kind of want to get AviUtl a bit more to try it out. :qingxian_ani_lili:I had it bookmarked of it's google search for a long while now. :clara_ani_lili:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)