• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

"tsu" and "su" sound weird after otoing

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
Hello, this is my first time making an UTAU voicebank, and I finished otoing this morning. I tested it out using a ust with these sounds, and they sound muffled or glitched.

Does anyone know what I could have done wrong?

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
It's a little hard to give advice based on nothing, but saying that it's muffled is a dead giveaway that it's one or both of two things; background noise and/or cheap microphones. It would be helpful to share an example either as like a soundcloud showing your muffled UTAU syllables next to your actual recordings... or just send me the voicebank and I can take a look:chika_ani_lili: Is it certain syllables that are problematic or is it the entire voicebank? just so i wouldn't have to spend an hour going through every. single. recording. ^^;
Edit: just read the title LMFAO;;;;

Anyways.
When a voicebank sounds muffled it's almost always because your mic was picking up background noise like a computer fan or other noise going on in your house. Then that background noise just gets amplified when rendered in UTAU. That's probably the case, but I don't know for sure since you didn't share an example :/
Ideally you want as little background noise as possible. (That sounds obvious but it's even more stressed because UTAU and most resamplers will pick up on almost all sound!!!)

If background noise isn't the issue then it's probably your mic... but again no example so not sure. Cheap microphones don't handle consonants like s' and t's well. Like using your webcam mic, instant death sentence <3
Is it okay to ask what kind of recording equipment you used?

Reactions: ___

___

Oct 8, 2019
Also adding to this, its ok if some samples didnt turn out great on the 1st try. You can always re-record the problematic samples :miku_ani_lili:

Reactions: Krin

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
It's a little hard to give advice based on nothing, but saying that it's muffled is a dead giveaway that it's one or both of two things; background noise and/or cheap microphones. It would be helpful to share an example either as like a soundcloud showing your muffled UTAU syllables next to your actual recordings... or just send me the voicebank and I can take a look:chika_ani_lili: Is it certain syllables that are problematic or is it the entire voicebank? just so i wouldn't have to spend an hour going through every. single. recording. ^^;
Edit: just read the title LMFAO;;;;

Anyways.
When a voicebank sounds muffled it's almost always because your mic was picking up background noise like a computer fan or other noise going on in your house. Then that background noise just gets amplified when rendered in UTAU. That's probably the case, but I don't know for sure since you didn't share an example :/
Ideally you want as little background noise as possible. (That sounds obvious but it's even more stressed because UTAU and most resamplers will pick up on almost all sound!!!)

If background noise isn't the issue then it's probably your mic... but again no example so not sure. Cheap microphones don't handle consonants like s' and t's well. Like using your webcam mic, instant death sentence <3
Is it okay to ask what kind of recording equipment you used?
I used a gaming headset with an adjustable mic. I didn't have any sounds in the bg while recording. When I say that the samples are muffled, it just seems to be distorted where it would sound like a "bass boosted" kind of sound

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
A lot of that distortion might be happening BECAUSE of your mic. (depends on the quality of your gaming headset mic I guess)

I think you can either re-record the problem sounds or do what parallax_fifths said and filter the low end. If you do plan to re-record certain samples just be mindful to keep the same tone as the rest of your recordings. I know a guy who learned this the hard way haha :((

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)