• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Vocamerica 2018

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
So is anyone else dying to know the results of the contest, or is it just me?
Aki said they'd release the results by the end of the month, and it's already the start of a new one!! The people gotta know! Lol

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com

Place your bets XD
I'm really hoping it's this one!!!
It has the top views, and overtook literally all of the other Vocamerica songs except for the official concert soundtrack (it even surpassed songs from a year ago actually featured in the concert)! It's different, it's deep and most importantly, it's not a generic pop song LMAO

But if this one doesn't win (I'll riot) then I'm putting my money on that Aku P song or the Anh Duy ones. They're generic pop songs that Aku literally said he wrote in a week (which is completely unfair to the newbies) and is perfect for opening the concert unfortunately x'D

Poor poor newbs

Reactions: Elsa12TMNT

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
I don't think that's unfair, because being able to write quickly means you have already put lots of time and effort into perfecting your craft. So I'm fine if an experienced producer wins - they deserve a reward for the many years they've put into music. It is easy to root for newbies because they are the 'underdogs', but being experienced isn't cheating - it simply means you've been working for longer. All entries from the advanced to beginners have had hard work put in that makes them worthwhile.

Last edited:

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
I don't think that's unfair, because being able to write quickly means you have already put lots of time and effort into perfecting your craft. So I'm fine if an experienced producer wins - they deserve a reward for the many years they've put into music. It is easy to root for newbies because they are the 'underdogs', but being experienced isn't cheating - it simply means you've been working for longer. All entries from the advanced to beginners have had hard work put in that makes them worthwhile.
Well that's a good point, so I can see where you're coming from there.
However, I feel like Vocamerica should be more focused on those Western producers who are also just starting out or trying to make their way in the world. Like Vocamerica? On a scale of contests, it's probably at the bottom in terms of skill levels and recognition. It's an mmd concert, and it's for crowds typically between 50-200 if that many. It's a community contest, and this is still a pretty small, young community. It would be a great chance for those who are new to get a leg up, you know? It just feels like those who have more skill and by enormous amounts are just taking advantage, like it's an easy win for them.
The fact that there are people who could spend weeks or months on their songs get snubbed by a producer who's had more time and experience and can crack out a song in a week seems extremely unfair and quite discouraging to those newer kids.
But I definitely can understand your pov on that!

Reactions: VocaMew

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
Remember, they're picking two songs, one for opening and one for closing. That and there will be runner ups.
Indeed they are-- but don't forget Anh Duy and Aku P are two people...who both wrote those generic pop songs that are ideal for concerts. I'm honestly convinced both of them will get the firsts place prizes, u kno? There was another one by Quasar P who might get it instead but yeah thats what I'm thinking. Higher skill = better song = higher chance for a win

Besides, being a runner up or an honorable mention is great and all, but nobody remembers that, you know? The vocamerica contest from last year had several runner ups and honorable mentions and I can't think of a single one. ...tbh I can't recall the winners of it either...tho I'm sure I'll get the reminder when they finally get included in the concert whenever they decide to integrate the new songs/// but you see what I'm saying? The runner ups only mean so much when it's such a small contest. Everyone's looking for the first place (or at least a majority are)!

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
They haven't even released the results yet, try to to start getting angry about it when you don't know. ^^;
I'm sure the judges are going to pick based on certain criteria we don't know about, not just picking a "generic pop song".

I personally think it's unlikely for a beginner to be able to write a really good song. Not say it doesn't happen on accident. But doesn't the word experience imply that they know what they're doing in terms of lyrics writing, song composition, Vocaloid tuning, and mixing? Don't confuse "someone not well known" with "beginner producer".

It's kind of like complaining that an artist's commissions could be $100, but it only took them 8 hours to draw a picture. You are rewarding their skill and the time they spent through their whole life to reach that level. The speed part comes with experience, it does not mean they threw something together willy-nilly.
OH no no I'm not angry! lolol

I'm just more disappointed than anything, I think? Like the odds of them getting picked are definitely higher than the others bc of the genre, which is pop, and tbh they just sound like every other pop song that the west makes. I mean it sounds like a YusukeKira sort of thing, and Yusuke's known for going for that generic pop-y sound. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just not really anything to write home about, you know?

If you looked at a lot of the entries for this contest, there were tons that weren't a thing like pop-- lots of different genres that had a chance to be put at the forefront, but weren't as well produced as the other songs. I think they were still definitely performable, and Aki even made the statement that if people wanted to remaster their songs bc they didn't have enough time later, they could.

That sort of gives me hope that they won't just go for the pop songs, bc she's still giving an opportunity to those who didn't have the time to properly fix their songs how they would've liked. But I mean, at the end of the day, Aku and Anh Duy just have that skill advantage that makes them both a lot more likely than others.

And I'm certainly not confusing "not well known" with "beginner". I know the difference! lolol But you should notice that there are people who haven't started Vocaloid until recently-- I mean look at the one I linked-- I'm fairly certain that ones a beginner, considering their only original is that song and I honestly can't find them anywhere else. There are a couple individuals out there entering the contest that haven't ever done anything like this before, which is why I'm more inclined to support them so they have a better shot at getting out there, you know?

And just the same for the lesser known producers who entered! I mean it would be lovely for them to get some recognition too, just as much as the newbies. I feel like they could use it.

At the end of the day one can only wait, but I mean, I was told to place my bets, and so there they are XD

khanadee

Engloid Fan
Apr 19, 2018
DC
I really enjoyed entering the contest and hearing everyone's song! My pick would probably be Hiyimi's Listen Now. I loooove that rap and Hiyimi's music is the best.

Adding my two cents in, I do feel like Aku and Anh Duy will probably be picked and their songs are both amazing and well tuned, but I personally find them being the winners a little unappealing because of the sexual themes in Aku's song and Anh's song was uploaded past the deadline/the tuner already won once.

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
I really enjoyed entering the contest and hearing everyone's song! My pick would probably be Hiyimi's Listen Now. I loooove that rap and Hiyimi's music is the best.

Adding my two cents in, I do feel like Aku and Anh Duy will probably be picked and their songs are both amazing and well tuned, but I personally find them being the winners a little unappealing because of the sexual themes in Aku's song and Anh's song was uploaded past the deadline/the tuner already won once.
Few things are more impressive than English Voca Rap!! lolol I would be too scared to try it-- this is a cool jam tho! Here's hoping.

Also I thought you couldn't enter/win again if you already won once? Tho you say Anh's the tuner so I'm guessing this is his first time writing an actual song specifically for the contest. Posting past the deadline...that's no bueno////

Yeah the sexual theme bit's a little disconcerting too, I'd like it if that weren't the case. Just another aspect of pop music tho, right? Sexy times! lolol

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
Well that's a good point, so I can see where you're coming from there.
However, I feel like Vocamerica should be more focused on those Western producers who are also just starting out or trying to make their way in the world. Like Vocamerica? On a scale of contests, it's probably at the bottom in terms of skill levels and recognition. It's an mmd concert, and it's for crowds typically between 50-200 if that many. It's a community contest, and this is still a pretty small, young community. It would be a great chance for those who are new to get a leg up, you know? It just feels like those who have more skill and by enormous amounts are just taking advantage, like it's an easy win for them.
Hmm, I think giving the win to a beginner out of pity might feel patronising, and inequitable to their competitors. Since Vocamerica is open to everyone, everyone should be judged on the same playing field.

I remember when Circus-P won the first Miku Expo contest. Some people were upset that an 'already famous' producer had won. But it is worth remembering that Circus-P had been in the fandom for almost 10 years and never been featured in a concert, or received any mainstream fame. Even our most popular Western producers are rarely acknowledged outside our community, and have very few chances given to them. There isn't anyone that doesn't deserve more exposure.

The fact that there are people who could spend weeks or months on their songs get snubbed by a producer who's had more time and experience and can crack out a song in a week seems extremely unfair and quite discouraging to those newer kids.
But I definitely can understand your pov on that!
If you spend 5 years working hard on your music skills, this hard work pays off and allows you to produce songs more quickly. If you have only had the chance to spend a year or a few months learning about music, it will take you longer to produce a song. This is not unfair, this is years of dedication being rewarded. :D If a producer has practised so much that they can produce an awesome song in a week, that could be a reason why their win is deserved.

That said, I think it would be cool for have a competition specifically for beginners. It's unfair to give them an advantage without saying so in the rules, but if you create a competition explicitly targetted at newcomers, it could be an awesome way to discover new producers.

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
Hmm, I think giving the win to a beginner out of pity might feel patronising, and inequitable to their competitors. Since Vocamerica is open to everyone, everyone should be judged on the same playing field.

I remember when Circus-P won the first Miku Expo contest. Some people were upset that an 'already famous' producer had won. But it is worth remembering that Circus-P had been in the fandom for almost 10 years and never been featured in a concert, or received any mainstream fame. Even our most popular Western producers are rarely acknowledged outside our community, and have very few chances given to them. There isn't anyone that doesn't deserve more exposure.

If you spend 5 years working hard on your music skills, this hard work pays off and allows you to produce songs more quickly. If you have only had the chance to spend a year or a few months learning about music, it will take you longer to produce a song. This is not unfair, this is years of dedication being rewarded. :D If a producer has practised so much that they can produce an awesome song in a week, that could be a reason why their win is deserved.

That said, I think it would be cool for have a competition specifically for beginners. It's unfair to give them an advantage without saying so in the rules, but if you create a competition explicitly targetted at newcomers, it could be an awesome way to discover new producers.
And that's fair-- I should clarify that I don't really want it to just be for beginners, and certainly not given to a beginner out of pity!! The problem I have is there are so many talented new or unnoticed producers that could potentially be snubbed bc they get outdone by someone with more experience.
I think a contest for beginners would be nice, because there is just so much potential and raw talent out there that's untapped and deserve just as much a chance as anyone else.

I'm mostly just speculating at this point but I've got a feeling it'll go to the more popular producers with the pop songs. That's just how these things go.

And on the topic of Circus winning the expo contest, the only problem I had with him winning was the song lyrics. I love Circus as much as the next guy (his newest songs not so much lololol I miss "copycat" and "crystalline" types of jams) , but his song 10000 Stars was just...horribly depressing?

Like it's a song about suicide, but it doesn't reference anything about getting help or dealing with it, and it was excessively dark compared to any other opening song. Even compared to the winner for this year's Expo!! Like the level of depressing atmosphere that I got from Circus' song was just awful to me. I wouldn't have minded it had it been about anything else that wasn't nearly as dark as that. It was a jam, but it was depressing af X"D

It's like a "one of these things is not like the other" situations; You've got "Hand in Hand", "Blue Star", "Can't Write a Song" and then "10,000 Stars". lol it's definitely different, but so so depressing///

That's just me tho XDD

Reactions: lIlI

Buck

Aspiring Fan
Apr 8, 2018
I mean, I would assume the only way for them to honestly judge this contest is based on how good they think the songs are? They didn't really specify what the winning criteria were, just that they were looking for "new" artists. I would think it would be more fair to give a grand prize to someone who has been grinding for a few years to make content that is higher quality and more enjoyable but hasn't really received all that much attention for it than to give it to someone that has just started producing recently and give them the idea that their content is currently better than it actually is. They might be looking for unfamiliar artists but that doesn't strictly mean that it is a noob contest. Nor should it necessarily be.

Pop is what it is, and even though I'm not a fan of 2016-2018's variation of it, it's what people are probably expecting to hear at the VOCAMERICA concert. So even if they choose a pop song simply because they like it more, it does technically represent Vocaloid music in the west more.

Btw technically there should be four (4) winners, since there will be two grand prize winners (opening and closing) and two runner ups. Either way, they're all getting name dropped in the livestream tomorrow. So I'm sure there will be plenty of up and coming, talented artists with good potential getting plenty of publicity.

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
I mean, I would assume the only way for them to honestly judge this contest is based on how good they think the songs are? They didn't really specify what the winning criteria were, just that they were looking for "new" artists. I would think it would be more fair to give a grand prize to someone who has been grinding for a few years to make content that is higher quality and more enjoyable but hasn't really received all that much attention for it than to give it to someone that has just started producing recently and give them the idea that their content is currently better than it actually is. They might be looking for unfamiliar artists but that doesn't strictly mean that it is a noob contest. Nor should it necessarily be.

Pop is what it is, and even though I'm not a fan of 2016-2018's variation of it, it's what people are probably expecting to hear at the VOCAMERICA concert. So even if they choose a pop song simply because they like it more, it does technically represent Vocaloid music in the west more.

Btw technically there should be four (4) winners, since there will be two grand prize winners (opening and closing) and two runner ups. Either way, they're all getting name dropped in the livestream tomorrow. So I'm sure there will be plenty of up and coming, talented artists with good potential getting plenty of publicity.
Four winners, but only two who get their songs featured-- which is essentially what really matters here lol
I don't think any of the contestants made their songs to win a keychain they could just buy X"D But I don't like how pop "represents" vocaloid music in the west. I mean what about Creep and Ghost? Or Ady or Cora or all these other producers who don't do pop? It just seems like a real waste of potential to not diversify the music selection because "pop" isn't the only representation.

Miku's got plenty of EDM and pop songs, but for every one of those there's a rock or metal or alternative genre. It's incredibly diverse. When I think Miku I don't just think livetune or supercell, I think Maretu or ryuryu or powapowa (rip he was one of my faves).

I think it'd be a wasted opportunity to just pick the pop songs bc they're expected. And if that's the expectation then I feel like it should've been mentioned in the concert's rules/suggestions so people get an idea of what's being looked for, you know? Either they didn't because it's not exactly what they want, or they just didn't think that far ahead.

But I think we'll finally get our answers here in the next few hours, won't we? So exciting///

Sharkartist

Passionate Fan
Apr 16, 2018
Eastern USA
Im excited to listen to all the winning songs during the livestream today, even though ive only heard Two Sided for the contest because of VA and an esports event is happening at 4 in the same timezone as aki, and a single match in this section lasts like an hour. Good luck to all the participants:cybersongman_lili:

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
I dunno, I'm queen of the tinfoil hat brigade, but I feel like that kind of assumption that pop somehow trumps other genres by default just for being pop is a bit too out there. Like, oh, this pop song that sounds like cats screeching from a dumpster is defintely going in the "might win" pile compared to this song that is composed well but yuck--it's got rock guitars in the backround--not pop, cannot compute! *throws the rock song into the "will not win in a million years" pile* XD;

Maybe since it's called pop (popular music), there is just a bigger ratio of people submitting pop songs, therefore a pop song has "a more likely chance to win"? I prefer rock, metal and creepy music, and I would not take a pop song with me to a desert island, so don't get me wrong.

Where is the livestream supposed to be? If it's a livestream, maybe someone could ask in the comments if they will share their criteria for song picking?

Edit: I sent Aki a reply on Twitter asking if they could explain. Dunno if she'll do it or notice the message or not, though.
I...am not saying that just bc its pop, bad or not, it's going to trump all the others. But you have to admit that there is a clear pattern of pop songs in Vocamerica as well as other concerts taking the forefronts.
The last opener/closer for Vocamerica? Pop. Depressing pop, but pop.
Nearly every opener for Magical Mirai sans Sand Planet? Pop/EDM.

So the odds that she's going to be looking for pop music is higher. That coupled with the fact that those who have been around a while that entered, like Anh Duy and Aku P, as well as Quasar, all wrote pop songs, it seems that they're aware of this pattern as well.

What I'm really hoping for is that the Vocamerica team don't do what's likely and pick a quality song that isn't pop. The maple cakes one, the sofubi one, there were a couple by Shius I really liked.... the list goes on.

It would be interesting to see if they do that, or take the easy way out and take on the pop.

Granted it's all speculation at this point, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't belittle my perspective on the matter. Not cool mate

Buck

Aspiring Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Where is the livestream supposed to be? If it's a livestream, maybe someone could ask in the comments if they will share their criteria for song picking?

The livestream will be here, on the VOCAMERICA channel

I'd guess they would probably explain why they chose the particular songs they did. If they read the chat then someone can always ask.

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
I didn't mean to say anything offensive, I'm sorry if what I said seemed rude. I can't clearly explain what I'm thinking sometimes.
It's fine-- that joke about being paranoid just seemed particularly rude and it felt like you were belittling my opinion there. No harm done, no worries.

In other news the stream's starting soon-- running late is not good for the nerves lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)