• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Weird/Interesting Old Nico Uploads (2012 and older)

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
Well, here's an idea I've had for a thread for quite some time now. Let's see how it goes.

Occasionally, once in a while, one thing i like to do sometimes is to go digging deep into NicoNico, looking for really weird/interesting old Vocaloid uploads, and, well, let's just say that the old JP Voca fandom was very.... diverse in it's content offerings. Not that I'm complaining, in fact, I find it very fascinating. Nowadays we're used to seeing Miku on a bunch of promotional material, on stage on concerts, and all over the anime fandom at large. It's very, very interesting (to me at least) to go peeking at what the Vocaloid fandom looked like in its first few years of infancy, when people were just getting acquainted with this (relatively) newfound software. Hence, this thread.

So, the basic gist of this thread is that I'm regularly gonna share a few videos in this thread I find particularly strange/interesting/amusing.
As long as its:

-Vocaloid/synth related
-Posted in 2012 or older
-Weird/otherwise interesting
-Not something the Western voca fandom at large is already familiar with (no really popular uploads we already know about)

...it can go in this thread.
And of course, if you're interested, feel free to share anything you find, too. :)

And with that introduction out of the way, let's begin! Here's the first entry!

"Mikurunrun-Vocaloid Theme Song" by maro (10/17/2007)
Here's an old upload I found not even 2 months after Miku released. This was the early, EAAARRLY days in the fandom, when Miku, Kaito, and Meiko were the only Japanese vocaloids, and subsequently, the only Vocaloids (mostly) that were getting content at the time. (Ahh, the days when you couldn't complain about your fave not getting enough content LOL)
This video has all the marks of an early Vocaloid upload, from the very basic tuning, to that even more basic backing instrumental, and we've even got some very, very uncanny animation in this one! (Miku's poor spine...) Despite this, it does have a certain charm to it.

"Jazz song played completely by KAITO" by 名無し (04/23/2008)
I hope you like jazz, (and KAITO, for that matter), because here's KAITO doing an acapella of Dave Brubeck's "Take Five"!
Uploads like this are why I love lurking for old Nico videos. This is a prime example of early experimentation with VOCALOID. People just throwing stuff at VOCALOID to see what it can do. I find it funny how they actually got KAITO to sound a bit like a bass/tuba in the back, and even right down to the saxophone lead. Sure, it sounds a bit weird, but that's why I love it.

"[LEON LOLA] Song from the world's worst PV (I tried to sing)" by あいれ (01/14/2009)
And for the final entry for this post, here's some old engloid stuff!
For the uninitiated, waaaay back in the old YouTube days, (about 15 years ago) there was a video that went viral that people called the worst music video ever, and i guess it spread on to Nico denizens, too. This video is a cover of Leon and Lola covering the aforementioned song, and Leon sounds... EERILY SIMILAR to the original voice. Lola not as much, but still, Wow. I might also add that the way the man is dressed in this video bears a striking resemblance to a certain Leon design that reached meme status on Niconico at roughly the same time... But that's a topic for another upload ;)

Soooo, yeah! That about does it for this first entry (of many, hopefully) of this thread!
Thank you for viewing!!
:miku_lili::kaito_smile_lili::meiko_lili::leon_lili::lola_lili:

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
The Kaito jazz cover is really interesting, thanks for sharing it! This thread makes me wanna dive into Nico's backlog whenever I have the time

Reactions: REDD

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
MY TIME HAS COME

I found this a while back while trying to learn LipSync (yes I know no one's used it since 2010, but I always wanted to use it). It's a cute video in which Miku laments that she doesn't have a duet partner, like Meiko has Kaito and Rin has Len. Enter Gakupo! (This was uploaded like RIGHT after his release, so Luka wasn't around yet.)

It's adorable, but also pretty funny, both because of Miku's eyes darting back and forth from Gakupo to the audience and because Gakupo's the only one without a LipSync model.

Last edited:

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
MY TIME HAS COME

I found this a while back while trying to learn LipSync (yes I know no one's used it since 2010, but I always wanted to use it). It's a cute video in which Miku laments that she doesn't have a duet partner, like Meiko has Kaito and Rin has Len. Enter Gakupo! (This was uploaded like RIGHT after his release, so Luka wasn't around yet.)

It's adorable, but also pretty funny, both because of Miku's eyes darting back and forth from Gakupo to the audience and because Gakupo's the only one without a LipSync model.
Thats so adorable!!!! I love little character stuffs like this!<3

So is that what those character dolls are called? LipSync? I keep seeing those on old Nico videos and i always thought they looked super cute! (and very y2k/webcore, might i add~<3)

Is it easy to get your hands on LipSync now or is it basically lost software?

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Thats so adorable!!!! I love little character stuffs like this!<3

So is that what those character dolls are called? LipSync? I keep seeing those on old Nico videos and i always thought they looked super cute! (and very y2k/webcore, might i add~<3)

Is it easy to get your hands on LipSync now or is it basically lost software?
It's fairly simple! Takes a bit of digging, but all downloads are still live, and there's plenty of usage guides and tutorials. Here's a good place to start:

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
It's fairly simple! Takes a bit of digging, but all downloads are still live, and there's plenty of usage guides and tutorials. Here's a good place to start:
AAAAAAAA Thank you so much! I shall go off and make some characters~

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
It's been a few days, and I feel like it's high time for a new entry!

Let's just start off weird for the first video:

"[Actually Miku] Hatsune Miku Sings and Dances to "The Totobenki Song" [I'm serious]" by Edward (11/18/2007)
Let's just start off with some good ol' classic toilet humour, i guess! (what else am i going to do on a tuesday night)
From what I gather, the song Miku is singing in this one is actually from a well-known Japanese commercial for TOTO's line of TOTO Benki toilets.
Lots of Japanese kids grew up with the song, apparently, and because Miku is a synthesizer and can't feel shame, someone made a Miku cover of the song. Yes, we only cover the finest, highest quality Nico uploads on this thread, how could you tell?

Next entry.

"(for White Day) KAITO & Len Seem to be Panicking" by N Y A (03/12/2008)

Here's something a bit less weird. This is a cute, short-but-sweet song I found with Kaito and Len. Like the title implies, this song is about Kaito and Len panicking over what to buy the girls for White Day. For those who don't know, White Day is a Japanese holiday that takes place on March 14th. In Japanese Valentines Day (February 14th), girls give chocolates and gifts to boys that they like, and on White Day, the boys buy chocolates and gifts for the girls who gave them gifts! I like picking up on little glimpses of Japanese culture through Nico stuff :)
Very cute song, too!

This next upload is, well, an anomaly, of sorts.

"(Kagamine Rin) There's no roadroller anywhere!? (Kagamine Len)" by ぱーぷる (03/06/2007)
At first glance, this doesn't seem all that conspicuous. Obviously, it's a bait-and-switch video meant to trick the viewers into clicking, only to be met with...
Dio from JoJo's Bizzare Adventure singing the Vib-Ribbon tutorial song. Typical japes, right? Well, what's even stranger about this video is that it's the oldest upload in the Vocaloid tag. This video was published on March 6th, 2007. That's approximately 5-6 months before Miku was released. If i remember correctly, Rin and Len weren't announced until after Miku was released. So that begs the question, how did this person know about Rin and Len almost a FULL YEAR before they came out? I don't know when they would have been announced, but I assume it would've been at least closer to Miku's release, or after. Did this video come out after the Kagamines were released, and the date on the video is glitched somehow? I really don't know. If someone else knows more about when Rin and Len were announced, i think it would explain things better. But I just find it amusing that the currently oldest surviving VOCALOID video on NicoNico is a Jojoke.

That's all for this entry, folks! Thank you for viewing, and i'll see you guys next time!

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma

The Panda Song (3/6/2008)

The OG is fairly tame; it's a nonsensical song using pandas in the zoo as a metaphor for life's intricacies. There was a fanmade PV that was super popular on YouTube back in the V2 era (I can't find it on Nico, forgive me!), and a while back I remembered it again and went to look for it, only to find... whatever this is.

It's like an extended opening for a very strange sitcom. I can't even begin to discribe how much I love it.

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
Hi everyone! Sorry for taking so long, as it's been ages since the last entry, but I've been really sick the past week, and i just was not up to posting anything orz (im still recovering as we speak)
Regardless, i'm here now! Let's continue on with the entries!

Let's see what we've got for the first video:

"A monk and Hatsune Miku sing Tori no Uta (with MEIKO and Rekodaa)" by Na2 (09/10/2007)
Here's a suuuper early entry this time around. For those who don't know the "monk" voice in the video is actually an (infamous) vocal VST plugin called Delay Lama. It's known for having... interesting vocal effects and even more..... interesting UI character effects. It's basically been a very low-level meme for years, particularly among DAW users. Miku sounds alright here.

Next entry.

"[LEON] Lonely Dirty and Unmanly Force Urotander" by 権利者削除で停止中 (02/13/2008)
(I tried my best to translate that title.... I really did)
Well. If that isn't a thumbnail for the ages. I'm about 95% sure that's supposed to be a Leon design on Kaito's shoulder, and it's certainly.....unique. Basically what this is is Leon covering a Kaito song called Hikyou Sentai Urotander. Apparently it's a song parodying those "fighting force" shounen animes. It tells the tale of the fictional force "Urotander" and their dirty, cowardly tactics. The best (worst) part about this upload is that it's some of the best Leon tuning I've ever heard. Why does it always seem to be the internet funnymen that end up having the best Leon usages?
Aaanyways, let's move on to our final entry for this post...

"VOCALOID2 BIG-AL Demo Song 2" by Unknown Uploader (05/04/2009)
Here's some old Engloid stuff. Those of you in the Big Al community may have heard this already, but the main thing that caught my eye about this particular video was the pre-release fan (?) design in the video. The video doesn't list a proper uploader, so I don't know the source for this artwork, sadly. Still, it's nice to hear Beta Al, and see a nice Miriam design. The fan design for Al is interesting as well. (also lol sweet ann occasionally popping in)

And that's all until the next post, folks! Thanks for viewing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)