• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID What Vocaloids do You Consider "Popular"?

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
So the other day I stumbled upon a video about unpopular Vocaloids. However, this video contained several vocaloids that personally, I wouldn't call unpopular at all (Iroha, Una, and Flower)
It's really hard to judge who is popular and who isn't. Especially considering that there's a difference between whats popular for a hardcore fan and a casual fan. For instance, Otomachi Una may seem popular to me because I'm very into the Vocaloid community, but to someone who knows very little about it or spends very little time in it, they may only encounter her once or twice. Plus, everyone has a different definition of what popular is. Some people say Meiko isn't even popular, even though I'd put her in the top 10 most well-known vocaloids. There really is no one way to define which Vocaloids are more "popular" than the others, so everyone's answers will differ.
What Vocaloids would you personally call "popular?"'

For me it's the Crypton loids, Gumi, Gakupo, Una, Fukase, Flower, Iroha, Yukari, IA, and SeeU.
There's a lot more vocaloids that I think are more well known just because they've been around a while (Miki, Lily, Piko, etc.) but they don't get used much today so I wouldn't call them "popular".

Reactions: Aia

___

Oct 8, 2019
I remember watching this video some time ago, I honestly think the only vocaloid she listed that's actually unpopular is Cul ( Piko might be unpopular in Japan but has cult following in the west )

A casual fan might only come across the cryptonloids and Gumi and Gakupo but I don't think it's fair to compare other vocaloids to them to determine how un/popular they are :kyo_ani_lili: that's a hard thing to surpass after all. You have the cryptonloids, Gumi and Gakupo and then there are some vocaloids you could say are popular for a non-cryptonloid :LOL:. Also some might be more popular in their respective countries but not necessarily internationally ( most chinese vocaloids tbh ).

But vocaloids I consider popular ( internationally ) are the ones you listed pretty much, SeeU has a stigma surronding her so she's kind of an odd case. I also think Oliver is pretty popular along with the Meikas. Sonika and Ryuto are popular but for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Oh yeah I forgot Oliver's actually pretty well-known. Especially cause I usually see him lumped in the Len, Piko, and occasionally Hibiki in fanart.
I'm amazed at how much attention Hibiki and Ring still get for being so dead. Most other dead projects are largely forgot about (i miss you anri rune....ill always love you....) but people cant seem to let go of Hibiki and Ring.
I'm kind of amazed at how they've managed to stay "relevant" for so long.

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
I feel like it depends where you look. The community to me seems to be divided into different sub communities. For example, Dex and Daina could be well known in the Western side of the fandom, but if you ask anyone who isn't active there, they probably would never have heard of them, so that question to me seems very subjective.

But if we're talking about the community as a whole, then I'd say the Cryptonloids, Gumi, Gakupo, Fukase, Flower, Oliver and Piko

But think about this: If a vocaloid is best known for being unknown, are they still unpopular?

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
It happens everywhere, people will hammer into people's heads how unpopular something is until everyone knows about it :teto_lili:
Exactly! Every time I hear everyone say that something is unpopular, to me that's pretty much what they're known for. To me it kinda defeats the point of calling something underrated

Reactions: ___

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
'What Vocaloids do You Consider "Popular"?'

1. Miku

Miku's popularity so eclipses the rest of the Vocaloids that I cannot put any other character in the same category as her when it comes to fame. Her mainstream recognition and large annual events make her the only Vocaloid I would consider popular in a way that transcends the fandom.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
'What Vocaloids do You Consider "Popular"?'

1. Miku

Miku's popularity so eclipses the rest of the Vocaloids that I cannot put any other character in the same category as her when it comes to fame. Her mainstream recognition and large annual events make her the only Vocaloid I would consider popular in a way that transcends the fandom.
I was thinking that Miku and Tianyi are the most popular Vocaloids, but you're right (I really like how you worded it as "transcends the fandom"). Even people who don't like otaku stuff/don't know what Vocaloid is can recognize Miku as a virtual idol. Can't say the same for Tianyi unless you know anything about China, which I'd say the general populous doesn't (unfortunately).

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
I was thinking that Miku and Tianyi are the most popular Vocaloids, but you're right (I really like how you worded it as "transcends the fandom"). Even people who don't like otaku stuff/don't know what Vocaloid is can recognize Miku as a virtual idol. Can't say the same for Tianyi unless you know anything about China, which I'd say the general populous doesn't (unfortunately).
Problem is, no one knows much of ANYTHING about Chinese pop culture....which to be honest is solely China's fault

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I didn't realize how big Tianyi was until I watched a video on her presence in China. She's even been used in government propaganda to tell kids to not do drugs. Who would have ever thought Vocaloid would be used for that, huh?

Reactions: kozet and Aia

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
In 2019 to me the "popular" vocaloids are The Crypton vocaloids, Gumi, Flower, and Una (mostly popular in the Japanese fanbase)

Tianyi and Yanhe were big for a while but with so many other Chinese voice synths released since them, it's kind of hard to tell where they lie. I know Qingxian is the least popular Vsinger by number of uploads, rip. Moke has some fans in the west but it's mostly an overlap with Fukase fans.

There are many vocaloids who used to be very popular but have fallen dramatically in usage over the years (IA, Gakupo, Yukari, Mayu), I don't know where exactly I would rank them.

Oliver, Dex, and Daina seem to have the most longevity when it comes to popularity among Engloids.

Reactions: kozet

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
In 2019 to me the "popular" vocaloids are The Crypton vocaloids, Gumi, Flower, and Una (mostly popular in the Japanese fanbase)

Tianyi and Yanhe were big for a while but with so many other Chinese voice synths released since them, it's kind of hard to tell where they lie. I know Qingxian is the least popular Vsinger by number of uploads, rip. Moke has some fans in the west but it's mostly an overlap with Fukase fans.

There are many vocaloids who used to be very popular but have fallen dramatically in usage over the years (IA, Gakupo, Yukari, Mayu), I don't know where exactly I would rank them.

Oliver, Dex, and Daina seem to have the most longevity when it comes to popularity among Engloids.
For what it's worth, VSinger is still VERY much the lead group Chinese synthwise.

Quadimension is like 1st Place comparatively, popular but comparatively not really even close.
Yukari has actually got more use as of late I think with the Voiceroid craze and all, Meiko would be the female that fell off. (Mayu never did all that well in popularity I think.)

As much as the fandom ignores her, Avanna is still the most used native Engloid judging by a quick vocadb check. Dex, Daina, and Oliver all do well, but not as well as her. (EDIT: I misremembered something)

Reactions: TheStarPalace

Overcast Immortal

Budding producer
Dec 4, 2018
USA
www.youtube.com
It's also worth noting that Maika is quite popular among Vocaloid fans who speak Spanish. I'd guess about as popular as Dex or Daina among fans of English Vocaloids. Maika has also gained some popularity among (Brazilian) Portuguese-speaking Vocaloid fans and is well known for being able to sing very well in Catalan, however Maika seems more popular among Spanish speakers.

Reactions: Aia

Wario94

Passionate Fan
Jan 5, 2019
For me, I'll say Rin, Len, Fukase, Flower, Una, Hime, Mikoto, and the Medium⁵ sisters.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I find IA losing popularity odd, unless her English VB being on CeVIO had something to do with it. I know she was probably the biggest JPN VB in V3 and 1st Place still promotes her. Any theories as to why IA (might have) decreased in usage?

___

Oct 8, 2019
Any theories as to why IA (might have) decreased in usage?
As you said, probably english IA being on CeVIO left sour taste in people's mouths. Plus, I guess there will always be these few vocaloids that were popular during certain vocaloid era and just became less popular overtime, Miki is nowhere near as popular as she was during V2's lifespan for example. Also people found new favorites and moved on. That's how it is :miku2_move:

blackout

Passionate Fan
Apr 13, 2018
Fairly sure IA's usage is still well ahead of most others on niconico, I recall her original song tag being slightly ahead of Gumi last time one of those niconico yearly Vocaloid statistics popped up not that long ago (but I can't find it anymore orz) and she came at like around 6th overall I think? The issue is that I don't think there's many big time popular producers using her currently so you don't see her as much on popular songs lately but she still gets a lot of original songs & etc uploaded.

Overall I'd say Miku, the rest of the Cryptonloids, Gumi, IA, flower, Yukari and Una stay reigning on the JP side these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)