• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Why bands are disappearing: 'Young people aren’t excited by them'

How do you feel about the decline of bands in pop music?

• Bands are an important dynamic to have in the music industry.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • It's nice to see a broad mix of bands and solo artists.

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • I like the idea of bands, but I'm not bothered by this trend.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It makes little difference; bands aren't that relevant to mainstream pop music anyway.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I often prefer solo artists. I feel more of a connection with them than members of a band.

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Nokone Miku

Aspiring Lyricist/Producer
Jul 14, 2021
www.youtube.com
(I read this March 2021 article online and thought it was very interesting. I want to share a few excerpts. I'm bolding parts for emphasis.)

“It’s funny, when the first Maroon 5 album came out [in 2002] there were still other bands,” the band’s frontman Adam Levine told Apple Music’s Zane Lowe this month. “I feel like there aren’t any bands any more … I feel like they’re a dying breed.” Levine was quick to clarify that he meant bands “in the pop limelight” but the internet doesn’t really do clarification, [...]

When Maroon 5 broke through in the 00s, there were new bands forming all the time, many of which quickly proceeded to go platinum and headline arenas. In the realm of pure pop, meanwhile, talent shows such as The X Factor became a reliable incubator of girl groups and boybands, from Girls Aloud to One Direction. No longer. Popular music’s centre of gravity has undeniably moved towards solo artists, at least when it comes to serious commercial success. This paradigm shift has been obvious for a while now and has accelerated across genres.

Whichever metric you use, the picture is clear. Right now, there are only nine groups in the UK Top 100 singles, and only one in the Top 40. [...] There are duos and trios, but made up of solo artists guesting with each other. In Spotify’s Top 50 most-played songs globally right now, there are only three groups, [...] and only six of the 42 artists on the latest Radio 1 playlist are bands [...]

Rock and pop now exist in different spheres – even the biggest bands struggle to crack the streaming-driven Top 20 – but bands are on the back foot within alternative music itself. One theory is that major labels avoid bands because solo artists are cheaper and easier to handle. Not so, says Jamie Oborne, whose Dirty Hit label has found success with bands (the 1975, Wolf Alice) and solo artists (Beabadoobee, Rina Sawayama). “We’re actively trying to sign bands,” he says. “I’m desperate to find a really young band that I can help develop.”

The problem is, he says, there aren’t that many around. “It’s more likely now that a kid will make music in isolation because of technology.
When I first met the 1975, they were all friends meeting in a room to make noise. So much is done in bedrooms these days, so you’re more likely to be by yourself.”

Ben Mortimer, co-president of Polydor Records, says that cost is more of an issue for artists than for labels. “If you’re young and inspired to become a musician, you face a choice. If you go the band route, you need to find bandmates with a similar vision, you need expensive instruments and equipment, and you need to get out on the road to hone your craft. On the other hand, you could download Ableton [production software], shut your bedroom door and get creating straight away. Culture is shaped by technology.”

“Starting a band is hugely expensive,”
says Joff Oddie, guitarist with Wolf Alice. “You need an immense amount of equipment and a lot of space. I spent most of my student loan on rehearsal space. Travelling is expensive. Anything that can be done to make being in a band tenable for young artists is good, because the fear is that we’ll lose that tradition. I think it would be a disaster if it’s only open to middle-class kids.” [...]

The ability to create laptop symphonies has also changed the shape of those bands that have thrived. [...]

[Section talking about how band drama of previous years has been replaced by today's reality TV and social media.]

In Asia, though, it’s an entirely different story. “Idol” groups, painstakingly assembled, trained, styled and choreographed for maximum appeal, have been at the forefront of Japanese and Korean pop for decades. K-Pop stars BTS are the world’s biggest pop group. “Strategically, this system has more to offer to the fans than a solo artist,” says Shin Cho, head of K-Pop and J-Pop at Warner Music Asia. “Individual fans have their own favourite members but also appreciate the chemistry in a group. There can also be sub-group projects that offer something different. The group format is viewed as more dynamic because there is simply more to do and show compared to a solo artist.” [...]

The challenge posed by all pop cultural trends is to work out whether or not it is a permanent structural shift or just another phase. The right group at the right time, whether it is the Strokes or the Spice Girls, can change everything. In the short term, the pandemic has made it impossible for new bands to form and threatens the survival of the regional venue circuit on which they depend, [...] Yet Oborne remains optimistic.

“I’m excited about the wave of creativity that’s going to follow this period that we’ve just lived through,” he says. “I feel this hankering in youth culture for real experience and connection. I’m still quite the romantic when it comes to music. Look at Fontaines DC. I see a picture of them and wish I was in a band. It’s the same thing as walking down the street with your friends and feeling like you’re part of something. Anything’s possible.”

Regardless of trends in music technology, streaming and celebrity culture, there is still a lot to be said for being able to share the pleasures and pressures of life in the music industry with a group of peers. Having released four solo albums as well as seven with Maxïmo Park, Paul Smith is well-placed to compare the two scenarios.

“I can get things done a lot quicker as a solo artist,” he says. “I can choose the artwork, decide the tracklisting: little things that take us weeks because we have an egalitarian mindset. You can make a bit more money. But I love the communal aspect of being in a band. You’re sharing everything: sharing the profits but also sharing the load. If you’re a big solo star and you’re not enjoying it, it must be one of the loneliest places you can be.”

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I agree that technological advancements, including the internet, have made it way easier for artists to work solo without the need to rely on a band, but I think much of the "death of bands" discussion is genre specific. For example, bands are still thriving and will always thrive in rock and metal scenes, because the nature of those genres almost require a group of people to create the necessary sound. It's certainly not impossible to succeed solo, but I'd say it's more difficult in rock and metal compared to many electronic genres, where it's really easy to work as a solo artist.

My "home" genre is trance, and it's a scene dominated by solo artists because it's easy to create tracks with just a DAW. Even in the early 90s, when the trance sound began to solidify and you needed to use more physical instruments than today because the tech wasn't there yet, you saw a bunch of solo artists and maybe some duos like Jam and Spoon. Today, this is still the case, barring the odd trio like Above and Beyond. I don't think I've ever seen a trance act that could be called a "band", aside from maybe one-off group collaborations.

Hip hop is a more interesting case - back in the 80s, groups used to be really common when hip hop and rap weren't mainstream yet. Eventually, you saw individual artists break out and finally be able to perform solo without needing to rely on a wider group or affiliation. Nowadays, hip hop is in a similar situation to most electronic music where people just need something like a DAW to create a track. However, unlike rock and metal, hip hop groups seem to be a dead thing these days, unless I'm looking at the wrong places.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I guess I never really noticed this, it doesn't particularly matter to me I suppose. I feel like bands can be tricky to keep together anyway because of the nature of constantly working with the same, small group of people. A lot of my favorite bands have actually had pretty disastrous falling outs (i.e. t.a.t.u., crystal castles, system of a down). I think people find that working alone and then just occasionally collaborating can be a lot easier. When your coworkers are also your friends (and most bandmates are friends) relationships get tricky. My coworkers are some of my best friends, but if we have a stressful day at work then I feel like it can strain our friendship as a whole. For band members who make art together, I feel like that's a bigger deal. A bad day at work and a feud with my coworkers just mean slightly crappier cheap tacos sent out. For a band, it means a flop album/single or a concert that goes down in their fans' memories as a disaster.

...I think honestly it mostly has to do with technological advancements, but that's already been said, so I wanted to offer some other insights too.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I guess I never really noticed this, it doesn't particularly matter to me I suppose. I feel like bands can be tricky to keep together anyway because of the nature of constantly working with the same, small group of people. A lot of my favorite bands have actually had pretty disastrous falling outs (i.e. t.a.t.u., crystal castles, system of a down). I think people find that working alone and then just occasionally collaborating can be a lot easier. When your coworkers are also your friends (and most bandmates are friends) relationships get tricky.
It's also very rare to see a band last with all its original members intact to the present day, assuming nobody has died in the meantime. The only band I can think of right now where there hasn't been a single lineup change over the years they've been active is Rammstein, and even they've admitted in interviews that being a band full of friends isn't plain sailing. My favourite band is Kraftwerk, and not even their "classic" lineup is the OG lineup from 1970, when they started out as something of a Krautrock collective. Eventually they solidified as a four-man electronic act by 1975, but that setup collapsed by the late 80s. It's still a four-man group today, but only one original member is left now.

Saying all of this, I think I can understand why some younger musicians are spurring bands and going more solo. It's difficult getting a band to work because everyone needs to have an input in compositions. I don't think Covid has helped either.

MillyAqualine

Hardcore Fan
Apr 11, 2018
Regarding the strange decrease of bands' presence (while ironically getting, as you brought back, the idol groups from J-pop and K-pop) I guess it is induced by many factors...

First, a band means it's a collective group, and thus, there isn't only one person (as in, one "face" and one name) so what does it mean? That a band needs to be cohesive to exist (some may manage to deal with daily fights or disagreements, but it's rare as enerally it may break them down)

Going on with this aspect, maybe it's just an illusion (ooh oooh ooh ah aaaah) but I sense like individualism is more tangible than it used to, despite all of the common messages about uniting together and building teams etc Add the usual ego problems in it and this is how some may not consider starting or continuing in a band. Again, and thankfully, some artists may keep solos not because of ego problems towards fellow members but perhaps they fear getting somehow "censored" (not the right word I agree) or accidentally stretching the other members' own creativity because they may have a particularly set song in mind and act like it shouldn't eb changed and must be recreated in the real world from A to z.

And then, this is what I call the syndrom of "the artistic genius" not as in the concept and the talent, but more as somebody who's kinda like a Swiss Army Man and thus, is a songwriter, a composer and a singer all at once (bonus points if they do their own communication with barely any need from any agency or specific communication manager / team) where such people are praised.... While I do understand the praise as myself I admire those since I can only somewhat make out two of the three parts mentioned, at the same time I feel it may also discourage some young people (or newcomers) to go in bands as they may be afraid of being considered less an artist if they get any help than those who do 100% everything by themselves, as well as the stigma applied on those who don't write their own music or their own lyrics and solely sing it... Which is kinda sad and somewhat unfair since many big names and talented artists weren't all able to perform the three things without any help (after all, not everyone is like Jean-Jacques Goldman) and that people also enjoy some collaborations between artists or bands ( ! ) and as a result, it leads into singers or musicians >p<

As pointed out in the article, it is true all means you need to take in account and pay for may pile up and multipliate than if it's just one artist and the few musicians, technicians and sound engineers that may team up with them, without being a "band".... another paradoxal thing since it can still be considered a band unless the singer is alone on stage playing only one instrument while singing and magically activate lights on a particular time with wireless devices

Indeed there is now the evolution of music making in general with the predominance of DAW and the availability of VST that complete presets and may add a new flavour to basic beats, leads and FX. COVID-19 crisis highlighted and didn't help with artists staying at home and having to either make Skype performances (praying that nobody's connection cuts or causes too much delay to mismatch everyone else and break down the synergia) or working on their own... Concerning our fandom, it is even stronger as it's deep set in the roots of the habits in Vocaloid and vocal synth communities to remain in our corner, working with a virtual vocalist, trying to compose a tune and write down lyrics (thank God collabs exist here too and occur way much more than it used to be) before sharing the final product with the world

On a personal side, it is true that I tend to favour a lot solo artists and most of my top fave idols are solos or former band member having gone solo years and years ago, and like many fans I am also guilty of sticking to one person or two and keeping my eyes only on said person with an intensity I don't apply on the rest of the crew <~< However, I'd say bands VS solo is kinda like UTAU VS Vocaloid or any synth combination you'd be thinking about ; as in both have their good points and their inconveniences :

Band = If you're very shy or that there is one or more part of a song making you're not much at ease with, you may consider the band as being like a cocoon, generally some start this way because it is more secure to them to face the audience together than being one against a whole stadium or a tiny classroom ; it can allow different point of views, thus leading to a massive brainstorming that is closer to cadavre exquis than any random firm's daily meeting that can be the sparkle of something great, something that connects not only the members of said band, but as well the band with the rest of the world, without mentioning the fact if somebody needs help or feels down, everyone else is here to support them and cheer them up.... Then once again, it means you ought to be on good terms and respect each other's boundaries to keep both harmony and equality inside the group and there can also be the guilty feel to "let everyone else down" when you're coping with a very bad situation that has nothing to do with the band and may affect your creativity, your way to play an instrument, to write lyrics or even compose music

Solo = you're free to do whatever you want, may have completely full control over your own work, you're also your own entity and "face" without depending on the others ; however it means more pressure as all lies on yourself only, risks of sticking to the same thing (though it can also happen with bands), and once the show is over, you're really alone (not necessarily physically but emotionally, it may occur) and no risk anyone would fight for the spotlight since there is only one person under it so unless you fight with yourself over it eeeh x'D

And as it was said, keep in mind some of the biggest bands may have lost one or more members for various reasons, general ones being deaths (Queen, The Doors, the Beatles, also the Rolling Stones recently, the Rita Mitsouko etc) or some retiring, leaving the band for another band, leaving to go on a solo career, leaving music purely too so they can get into another job that is a full 180° move... And it can also be about purely falling out, and it's sad to say but in some particular cases, even if your bandmates are friends, or even family (Oasis) that doesn't avoid the break up

I am quite admirative of bands as being a shy person and quite of a loner feels heavy, and not only within artistic fields, but also socially... Then it seems I'd be more like trying out solo and collaborating with people as paradoxally, bands intimidate me because I would always be afraid of being walked over or being that one oddball left in the corner...

(Now going to sleep and sorry if my English got broken even much more tonight OTL)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)