• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

You probably didn't know this about my first 2 SynthV originals!

David K.

a Czech vocal synth user and keyboardist
Feb 15, 2019
Czech Republic
Did you know that my first two SynthV original songs, You Look Weird To Me and The Cyclops, actually came to me in my dreams? If you're interested, keep on reading.

You Look Weird To Me - originally released 13 Dec 2018, will be re-released in March 2019

This song came up in my dream in August 2018 (back then, I didn't know that something like SynthV exists). The dream was like this: I was watching a playlist of my favourite 80s music videos. After some well-known songs, there was a song that I have never heard. It was called You Look Weird To Me.
At the start, the music video faded in from black and there was the singer, behind her there was a gas cooker with a flame that was getting bigger and bigger as the song went, and in front of her, on the left, there was a table with a model locomotive, ČSD class 363 (in the original blue and yellow livery, with the old logo), on top of it. The video really looked weird to me because it was from the 80s and it featured a Czech locomotive while the song was in English. Actually, not many (if any) English songs were made in Czechoslovakia in the 80s.
So much for the music video. Let's look at the song itself.
It started with an intro played on an electric piano which sounded like a Yamaha DX7. This instrument could be heard throughout the entire song. At the beginning, the song was quite melancholic, but starting with the first chorus a heavier drum beat kicks in along with some synth effects.
The verses were sung solo by the singer and the choruses were sung with harmonies. I loved the chorus - it started with the chords F#, A, G#7 (or G#m, I don't remember anymore), where every chord was played within one beat. Put simply, the beginning of the chorus was like this: (F#) You (A) look (G#7 or G#m) weird to me.
I loved both the video and the song. From the beginning, I knew I'll make the song real some day. For a few days, I had almost the whole song in my head. But when I made time to make it real, I didn't already remember much - only the name, the video and a part of the chorus. I tried to make it sound similar to the version from the dream but it sounds quite different, because Eleanor is a very different type of singer from the one who sang it "originally." The first "real" version with Eleanor Forte is here:

The "real life" English version and the Czech version (called Zvláštní tvor) will be sung by me, impersonating the female singer who sang it in the dream.

The Cyclops - released 19 Dec 2018

At the very beginning of 2018 I had a dream like this: I was watching the TV show Your Face Sounds Familiar where celebrities impersonate singers. One of the actors impersonated Kyklop (singer like this doesn't exist in real life). Basically, the actor was in a costume of a cyclops (a giant with a single eye in the center of his forehead) and he was singing a really catchy song in a weird dialect that I didn't understand. The song had a beat that was similar to the one in You Look Weird To Me, so I made the song different. I didn't make big changes in the melody, but I made my own lyrics in English (and Czech, you can check it on VocaDB), made the song slower and absolutely changed its mood, all in order to make it different from You Look Weird To Me. The "original" singer was Kyklop, a cyclops (impersonated by a male actor in the show). But the first "real" version is sung by Eleanor Forte and you can check it here:

The official Czech version, called Kyklop, will be sung by me. Maybe I'll make a second version which will replicate Kyklop's performance, as seen in the show.

Last edited:

David K.

Feb 15, 2019
Czech Republic
Synth V - You Look Weird To Me (Eleanor Forte) - music video WIP!

Eleanor's MMD model by Pikadude, kitchen set by Senshi-sun.

Last edited:

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
I really like these! I listened to the Soundcloud ones first, and Eleanor is very understandable, I didn't need subs at all. Very nice :)

Reactions: David K.

David K.

Feb 15, 2019
Czech Republic
I really like these! I listened to the Soundcloud ones first, and Eleanor is very understandable, I didn't need subs at all. Very nice :)
Thank you very much! As you can hear, I like 80s and 90s music (this is why my songs sound like this). This style is pretty unusual for vocal synth songs, but I hope you like it. Every time I try to make a "modern-sounding" song, for some reason it ends up as a nostalgic 80s-like song 😄 But these two weren't intended to sound modern.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)