• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

40mP - 誰も知らないハッピーエンド (Dare mo Shiranai Happy End) - French Horn Cover

(gave credit in video description)

Recently decided to pick up the horn again after a long period of not playing and record this cover. Obviously, this doesn't sound all that great, but I should hopefully get back into it with more practice (as if that's gonna happen)

Any thoughts on improvement? tips for mixing covers? lol ive like never mixed before in my life
anyway i appreciate feedback

Reactions: summers50

summers50

01010011 00110101 00110000
Apr 9, 2018
MA, USA
Since I'm also a brass player I can't help but say somethin. I can hear your endurance giving way here and there (You go flat and sound strained if your lips are worn) but otherwise good workin. You know, since you're doing a recording on your own, you can play each phrase separately with your full endurance, and then paste em together. It's a little cheat that a lot of singers do.

As for mixing, I think you should try to first just play with the EQ, and see what kind of tonal qualities you get. Dynamically I wouldn't process too much if at all, and leave the dynamics to the actual playing.

Reactions: Geranium
Since I'm also a brass player I can't help but say somethin. I can hear your endurance giving way here and there (You go flat and sound strained if your lips are worn) but otherwise good workin. You know, since you're doing a recording on your own, you can play each phrase separately with your full endurance, and then paste em together. It's a little cheat that a lot of singers do.

As for mixing, I think you should try to first just play with the EQ, and see what kind of tonal qualities you get. Dynamically I wouldn't process too much if at all, and leave the dynamics to the actual playing.
thanks, I did multiple takes for some sections but that didn't really help because essentially it all boils down to me not being a good player rn

In the future, imma try to figure out how to keep the dynamics while maintaining an ok loudness level for the whole song (w/o any compression it sounds too quiet, plus the instrumentals feel like they're sitting on top of everything else)

summers50

01010011 00110101 00110000
Apr 9, 2018
MA, USA
Alright, lets talk loudness then.
On the horn there is a huuuge dynamic difference between when youre playing soft and loud. For parts where youre loud and project, say when you get to the hit on the chorus, turn away from the mic so that you have your tonal shift and control what's going in the recording.

Compression is easier with a better recording. Automation on the gain, or just manually doing the volume change in the mix will sound better.

And also do some research on parallel compression.

If you want to talk more on playing I can help you there too.

Alright, lets talk loudness then.
On the horn there is a huuuge dynamic difference between when youre playing soft and loud. For parts where youre loud and project, say when you get to the hit on the chorus, turn away from the mic so that you have your tonal shift and control what's going in the recording.

Compression is easier with a better recording. Automation on the gain, or just manually doing the volume change in the mix will sound better.

And also do some research on parallel compression.

If you want to talk more on playing I can help you there too.
Yeah I've read about that. Thanks again for the help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)