• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Making an UTAU Whisper?

Sep 21, 2019
I'm working on doing some tuning tests and I'm trying to cover Utata-P's Hop! Step! ~ and was wondering how I could make an UTAU whisper in the same manner as Miku does in that song. I'm using a moresampler as the resampler (though I've tried it with UTAU's default wavtool/resampler as well) and Sukone Tei's 3.1.1 vb. I've increased the breathiness and tried making all the envelopes quieter, but she doesn't sound like she's whispering. It just makes her voice sound fuzzy and hoarse.
Does anyone have any attempts to achieve this?
Here's the original song for reference:

Overcast Immortal

Budding producer
Dec 4, 2018
USA
www.youtube.com
Whispers are characterized by their voicelessness and relative breathiness. Breathiness can be added to a vocal in every singing synthesis program I know of, and since voicing (the vibration of the vocal chords) lies in low and middle ranges, it can be edited out, but this will take most of the pitched element of singing with it.

Try using a high-pass filter along with a moderate breath setting. A high-pass filter cuts out lower frequencies. How much is cut out depends on how you set it. For a whisper, try cutting out everything below about 600Hz in a DAW. This is also known as a low-cut filter. If you want it to still have some voicing (and thus pitched singing ability), use a gentle slope where not so much of the low frequency content is cut out so aggressively. An EQ can also do this.

UTAU has flags for low-pass filters and some other EQ effects, but I haven't found one that works like a high-pass filter, so this probably has to be done in a DAW.

The effect in the song also sounds like a growl made from Vocascreamer, Charsiesis, or UTAUGrowl but with a high-pass filter. If breathiness isn't enough, it might be a job for a growl plugin. My guess is they work by pitch shifting the signal and adding distortion. I've had no success with them yet.

Sep 21, 2019
Whispers are characterized by their voicelessness and relative breathiness. Breathiness can be added to a vocal in every singing synthesis program I know of, and since voicing (the vibration of the vocal chords) lies in low and middle ranges, it can be edited out, but this will take most of the pitched element of singing with it.

Try using a high-pass filter along with a moderate breath setting. A high-pass filter cuts out lower frequencies. How much is cut out depends on how you set it. For a whisper, try cutting out everything below about 600Hz in a DAW. This is also known as a low-cut filter. If you want it to still have some voicing (and thus pitched singing ability), use a gentle slope where not so much of the low frequency content is cut out so aggressively. An EQ can also do this.

UTAU has flags for low-pass filters and some other EQ effects, but I haven't found one that works like a high-pass filter, so this probably has to be done in a DAW.

The effect in the song also sounds like a growl made from Vocascreamer, Charsiesis, or UTAUGrowl but with a high-pass filter. If breathiness isn't enough, it might be a job for a growl plugin. My guess is they work by pitch shifting the signal and adding distortion. I've had no success with them yet.
Ahh! Thanks so much! A high pass filter seemed to fix the issue I was having! Now I just have to find the best configuration to use for the growliness! :una_rylitah:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)