• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

vocaloid question - how do you control the duration of each syllable

georgeusageo

New Fan
May 19, 2022
on synth v there's an option to select the duration of each syllable of a word if you want it shorter or longer in duration in the given note

how do you do that on vocaloid

thanks

Cluemily

cherish chika
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 25, 2018
www.youtube.com
With VOCALOID, the easiest way to do something like that (or it is for me, personally) would probably be splitting notes so you can manually lengthen and shorten phonetics as you please, but there's not really a 1:1 feature like SynthV's. Velocity/V5's Emotion Tool can do a little as well, though, again, it's never really done as much for me as SV's phonetic timing has.

Reactions: georgeusageo

georgeusageo

New Fan
May 19, 2022
With VOCALOID, the easiest way to do something like that (or it is for me, personally) would probably be splitting notes so you can manually lengthen and shorten phonetics as you please, but there's not really a 1:1 feature like SynthV's. Velocity/V5's Emotion Tool can do a little as well, though, again, it's never really done as much for me as SV's phonetic timing has.
i think the velocity also has something to do with it, but i had a hard time understanding it

Vector

Passionate Fan
Mar 6, 2022
I’m still fairly new to tuning (and I use Piapro, but it’s functionally similar to the Vocaloid editor since it’s using the same V4 engine…) and I’m going to second note splitting as a crucial tool. You quickly get in the habit of mentally breaking words down into phonetic sounds for more control.

I’ve also found this wiki page invaluable: Using the Parameters

Velocity mostly affects the consonant length rather than the vowel, which kind of controls how “hard” sounds like “f” or “s” are. It kind of controls emphasis more then length, effectively, and can fix harsh esses or such.

In natural speech/singing, the length of a word mostly is function of the middle vowel phoneme, with the beginning and end remaining short and punchy. We say “caaaat,” not “cattt” or “cccat.” So by splitting your word into ca/a/at, you can adjust the length of the middle note (just change the quantization to a smaller fraction if you need finer control) to create that sustain. Then season the start/end notes’ velocity to taste if they’re too punchy.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)