• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Equalization advice

VocaMew

That one Mew fan
Apr 8, 2018
twitter.com
I finally have Petit to the vocal flow that she wants (almost), but I went ahead and played her vocals with the instrumentals, and (excuse me very uneducated way of putting this) the waves of her syllables tend to stay pretty stable on top, but drop way down to the bottom below. How do you I pull the bottom up without pulling the top down?

WinterdrivE

New Fan
Apr 9, 2018
I think what you mean is compression, not equalization, if you're talking about the volume of the vocals. If tht's the case, what you're talking about is downward vs upward compression. Downward compression will take anything above a certain threshold and reduce its amplitude by a certain ratio. Upward compression takes everything below a threshold and raises it.

I'm sure there're upward compression VSTs floating around out there, but I'm not aware of any off the top of my head since its not used nearly as often as downward compression.

Also, don't worry about what the waveforms look like. Its music; what matters is what it sounds like. Do her vocals sound like the volume is inconsistent? If yes, then you may need compression. But if not, it doesn't really matter what the waveform looks like as long as it sounds OK. Also do note that vocal waveforms aren't inherently very consistent in volume in comparison to, say, a wind instrument or a synthesizer. To expect them to look totally flat or rectangular is, frankly, nonsensical. But again, it doesn't really matter what it looks like if it sounds OK.

WintermintP

Lead Guitar, One Minute Winter
don't worry about what the waveforms look like. Its music; what matters is what it sounds like.
Solid advice on the compression, and I do get where you're coming from, but as someone who does a lot of original content, waveforms actually do matter, especially alignment-wise. I know of so many cases where a mix was not listenable because an instrument or a vocal part was off-time. Not only this can cause phase issues, it can also cause unwanted dissonance. Also, even if the OP doesn't mean equalisation, it's a good habit to use an EQ on vocals anyway.

Back to the OP.

Two compressors at a 2:1 ratio, each doing about 3dB of gain reduction should keep the volume at a consistent level. Then use the make-up gain feature on the compressors. Or, if you're on Vocaloid Editor, use the Gain knob on the top of the mixer channel for Petit to bring it back up to listenable level after the compression. For both compressors, try to go for a medium attack and fast release. In most cases, a compressor's attack and release is based on milliseconds, which means the lower numbers mean faster attack/release. The only exceptions are 1176 clones, but StudioOne's Fat Channel 1176 clone is also based on milliseconds.

Also, on Petit herself, yes, you should do a bit of EQ. Start by putting on a highpass filter. Move it all the way to the left and then slowly bring it back up until you start hearing changes in the timbre. Then move it back down just barely enough so you don't hear the changes again. Then proceed by adding a high shelf roughly around, say... 4-6K? Don't forget to use a de-esser.

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE 300-500Hz AREAS!

WintermintP

Last edited:

VocaMew

That one Mew fan
Apr 8, 2018
twitter.com
Solid advice on the compression, and I do get where you're coming from, but as someone who does a lot of original content, waveforms actually do matter, especially alignment-wise. I know of so many cases where a mix was not listenable because an instrument or a vocal part was off-time. Not only this can cause phase issues, it can also cause unwanted dissonance. Also, even if the OP doesn't mean equalisation, it's a good habit to use an EQ on vocals anyway.

Back to the OP.

Two compressors at a 2:1 ratio, each doing about 3dB of gain reduction should keep the volume at a consistent level. Then use the make-up gain feature on the compressors. Or, if you're on Vocaloid Editor, use the Gain knob on the top of the mixer channel for Petit to bring it back up to listenable level after the compression. For both compressors, try to go for a medium attack and fast release. In most cases, a compressor's attack and release is based on milliseconds, which means the lower numbers mean faster attack/release. The only exceptions are 1176 clones, but StudioOne's Fat Channel 1176 clone is also based on milliseconds.

Also, on Petit herself, yes, you should do a bit of EQ. Start by putting on a highpass filter. Move it all the way to the left and then slowly bring it back up until you start hearing changes in the timbre. Then move it back down just barely enough so you don't hear the changes again. Then proceed by adding a high shelf roughly around, say... 4-6K? Don't forget to use a de-esser.

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE 300-500Hz AREAS!

WintermintP
You guys are modern day heroes thank you so much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)