• New accounts will normally be approved within 24 hours.
    Note: We're currently having issues with our e-mail system, anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) must be changed manually by an Admin. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Five checks before buying a used Japanese synth or drum machine

AoiMikuHaul

New Fan
Aug 16, 2026
12
A Japanese used listing can make a synth, groovebox or drum machine look complete when one small detail changes whether it is practical overseas. These are the checks I use before comparing listings from Japanese music shops and marketplaces.

1. Save the full model name and rear-panel photo

A familiar product name is not enough. Regional versions, revisions and limited colours may share the same front panel. I look for the complete model code, serial label and a clear photograph of the power specification, then compare those details with the Japanese manual. Machine-translated titles often drop a suffix.

2. Separate voltage from the power-supply question

Some units accept a universal external adapter, some ship with a Japan-only 100 V adapter, and older rack or keyboard instruments may have an internal 100 V supply. A plug-shape adapter does not change voltage. I verify the input printed on the unit and on the adapter separately. If a step-down transformer is needed, it should be rated for the equipment rather than chosen only by plug shape.

3. Check storage media, batteries and current OS state

Vintage instruments may depend on floppy disks, SmartMedia, CompactFlash, SCSI devices or proprietary cards. A listing that says the unit powers on does not show that its drive reads, that patches save, or that the latest supported firmware is installed. I also check for internal backup-battery warnings and whether replacement requires soldering or a service-mode reset.

4. Translate the functional notes literally

Useful Japanese phrases include `動作確認済み` (operation checked), `通電のみ確認` (only power-on checked), `動作未確認` (untested), `ガリ` (scratchy control noise), `接触不良` (intermittent contact) and `ジャンク` (sold as junk/for parts). I would not treat "power confirmed" as a functional test. Photos of the display, keys, encoders, jacks and battery compartment are more informative than a broad cosmetic grade.

5. Price the packed instrument, not the bare instrument

Keyboards and heavy grooveboxes need room for corner protection, and the packed carton may be much larger than the product dimensions. That matters because international couriers can charge by whichever is greater: actual or dimensional weight. Before shipping, I ask for the packed dimensions and weight and confirm whether loose adapters, pedals or cards will be secured separately.

One final habit: save the original Japanese description and every listing photo before purchase. Sold pages can disappear, and those records are useful when checking the stated accessories and condition after delivery.

I adapted this checklist from OneMall's guide to buying used instruments through Digimart. Disclosure: I am affiliated with OneMall, a Japan proxy-shopping service, so the link is a commercial source rather than independent buying advice. OneMall does not independently authenticate listings or guarantee equipment condition.

For anyone here who has imported Japanese gear, what caused the biggest surprise: voltage, storage media, a missing adapter, an "untested" function, or packed size?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bookworm2

SeleDreams

Hardcore Fan
Jul 31, 2019
364
25
In my case I usually buy them junk since that's where we can make the biggest savings (quite often they sell "junk" stuff that's actually in great state. but of course it's a risk to take and i do it knowing i can do repairs, i wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

At the moment I bought a Yamaha RBX MS3 bass for 40 bucks on yahoo auctions and a Yamaha DX7 for 70 bucks (on yahoo auctions too)
Both were sold as junk, the bass just needed a cleaning and new strings (and resoldering the ground wire that came loose). The DX7 required a recap, a cleaning and to replace two of its keys.

Usually I however use Zenmarket which tends to work the best for me
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)