• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

General DAW Discussion Thread

I thought I would make a thread like this to compare DAW features, prices and stuff. Also to discuss new releases, VSTs, give advices, share videos and whatever fits to the discussion.
---

To start off, I have an issue that should be familiar to everyone who used Studio One 3 Artist Piapro Edition that was bundled with Crypton's VOCALOIDs:

Now that V5 is there - and it supports VST - I can't decide which DAW I should switch to!
I can no longer use SO3 because it's limited to the Piapro Studio VST only, so I need a new one to work with V5. Since I am a SO3 Artist user, I can upgrade to SO3 Professional with a discount. However, there already is SO4, which seems to look prettier and have some new features, but does it have an upgrade offer for SO3 Artist Piapro users?
I'm fine with using the Artist version only, as long as it supports V5.
I'm also intrigued by Steinberg Cubase due to the VOCALOID 4.5 Editor that comes with V5, but I don't understand this whole crossgrade stuff.
Can I crossgrade from SO3 Artist Piapro Edition to Cubase 9.5? Crossgrading from any DAW to another - is that how it works?
Another DAW I have an eye on is FL Studio because it's a cheaper one and also very popular.

What I'm basically looking for is the cheapest way to switch to a DAW that supports V5. But that doesn't mean that I want some cheap garbage! I'm willing to spend some more money on it if it helps my workflow.

Last edited:

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
@ZAR-PARTY To answer your questions...

If you like Studio One 3 and just want to add V5 compatibility, you can purchase the add on to allow third party VSTs to be used, including Vocaloid5.
You can, alternatively, upgrade to Studio One 4 Artist/Professional. The "Artist Piapro Edition" is technically no different from the standard Studio One 3 Artist when it comes down to how the license is registered, only the it has an OEM to allow Piapro Studio to be used. The upgrade from 3 to 4 Artist is only $49, so you could technically upgrade to 4 Artist and purchase the Artist add on package or a cheaper price than uupgrading from 3 Artist to 4 Professional.

You can see the crossgradde for Cubase here. However, if you are using the Studio One 3 Artist Edition, you are not eligible for the crossgrade and will need to pay full price for Cubase. Basucally how crossgrade would work though, you would send proof of purchase of your original DAW during/before purchase. There are trials of Cubase you can use though, and if you wait a bit, Yamaha seems to like making bundles with Cubase now. I am aware that VY1V4 and Fukase at least had bundles including Cubase and V4 for Cubase, so I imagine they will do the same for V5 in the future.

I would try FL Studio's trial before taking that leap just because it's popular/cheaper. If you're used to Studio One, FL might be very confusing to you at first. The trial has all the features the full version has as far as I know, with the exception of saving. Studio One and Cubase are very similar DAQs, but FL Studio does things very differently and it can be a pretty steep learning curve doing the crossover. Of course, if you're only going to use it for V5 and mixing, it might be less steep

Keep in mind also that V5 is also a standalone that doesn't require a DAW, you can do everything without one. You'd only need one for mixing and music production really. I recommend if you are going to go for a new DAW, purchase the upgrade of Studio One 3 to Studio One 4 Artist and purchase the addon package, it's probably the cheapest option and with the complete addon package, you get more than just the third party VST support. The other cheaper way that avoids switching at all is to buy the VST addon for Studio One 3 and that will make your Studio One 3 Artist Piapro compatible with V5 and any other third party VSTs you'd want to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)