• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Hatsune Miku as Featured in Media Articles (Past and Present)

sketchesofpayne

Listening to Hatsune Miku since 2007
Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
article hatsune_miku.jpg
Now and then, I have been going back and reading articles in the media, blogs, magazines, academic papers, etc about Hatsune Miku. It's always interesting to read an outsider's perspective. I figured I would occaisionally post some excerpts from, and links to such articles. I'm going to post just a couple to start off:

REGARDING: the 2020 COVID impact on pop artists

Some artists are proving that you don’t even need actual flesh and blood to connect with audiences. In early August, the digital Japanese idol Hatsune Miku, an anthropomorphic hologram of a 16-year-old girl with long turquoise twin-tails powered by something called Vocaloid Voicebank, hosted her very own virtual reality music festival called Miku Land Gate β.

Admission was free for fans all over the world via VirtualCast, a live virtual-reality communication service popular in multiplayer gaming communities. As omnipresence and adaptability are part of Miku’s DNA, she is, perhaps, one of the better-equipped acts to navigate the fluctuating perimeters of pop during today’s turbulent, uncertain waters. For now, at least, one message seems unanimous: The world is a playlist for everyone to share.

Last edited:

sketchesofpayne

Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
imrs.jpg
RE: Concert at The Anthem venue in Washington DC

[Of course my editorial comments and summarizations are in square brackets.]

When Japanese pop idol Hatsune Miku makes her Washington debut at the Anthem on Thursday, fans will be asked to use the official glow sticks for sale at the show instead of the regular brighter ones. The thing is, if too much light shines from the audience, Miku might simply disappear.

Is this true? I remember them using regular glowsticks at concerts before 2013 (or was it 2014?).

That’s because Miku is a hologram — at least when she performs in concert, backed by a quartet of flesh-and-blood musicians. She’s also an anime character, a video-game avatar, a bundle of sophisticated “vocaloid” code and a fascinating experiment in crowd-sourced pop art. [emphasis added]
“She can be anything. She’s like the world’s Barbie doll. People can dress her up however they want, and that can be their version of Miku,” says Cien Miller, a Vienna woman who is more than just a Miku fan. She’s also one of the most successful “creators” to compose songs for the turquoise-haired virtual vocalist and post them on YouTube.

[Covers her creation as software and her being under a Creative Commons license.]

People are quite interested in the synth-pop songs Miller has created for Miku, which are posted online under the name Crusher-P (P stands for producer). Her breakthrough, “Echo,” recently hit 25 million views on YouTube. “It is the most successful English vocaloid song of all time,” says Miller, who, at 23, is a full-time composer of songs and video game music, thanks in large part to Miku, whom Miller first encountered when she was 12.
Miku’s setlist is interactive, often aggregated from fans. (Crypton Future Media)

Of course the song "Echo" is sung by GUMI. :gumi_lili: (Though the statement is about the producer, it's just a funny mention in a Miku article.)

[Project DIVA and the meaning of her name.]

The holographic Miku made her solo concert debut in Tokyo in 2010 [well, her first concert was in 2009, but whatever] and has toured major cities in Asia. She’s now on her third North American jaunt, and is scheduled to make her European bow at the end of the year.

[She did a southeast asia tour. Has over 100,000 songs.]

Miku’s management doesn’t have to pay close attention. Internet music and video sites are quite good at determining the most-heard songs and most-watched clips, and Miku fans make their picks with likes and hashtags. “Whenever something rises up and gets more popular and hits our radar, we’ll be checking them out,” Tsuji says. The current tour was promoted with a songwriting contest, and Miku will perform the winning entry every night. The other tunes she’ll sing were written by individuals with no direct tie to Crypton Future Media. “We just contact the creators and say, ‘Hey, can we use this song?’ ” Tsuji says.

Other parts of the show, such as the four-piece band, are more traditional. “We try to make the experience as close to an actual pop-singer performance as possible,” Tsuji says. “Having those live musicians on the stage really helps bring the illusion to life. We try to avoid the sense that you’re watching a video presentation.”

Of course, Miku can’t improvise, revise the script or even flub a note. But that doesn’t make her much different from many of today’s mainstream pop stars, who rely on elaborate choreography and, sometimes, prerecorded vocals.
[emphasis added] And Miku has the advantage of embodying not only the dreams of her followers, but also their creative skills.

Miller plans to attend Miku’s show at the Anthem, even though she mostly writes songs for another vocaloid, Gumi. (She says she prefers Gumi’s vocal timbre and English delivery.) Miller has visited Japan twice, and even met with Miku’s creators, but she has never been in the singer’s holographic presence.
“I’m very excited,” she says. “I love her to death, and I always will.”

sketchesofpayne

Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
hatsune-miku-riccardo-tisci-givenchy-met-gala.jpg

RE: Riccardo Tisci Gives Japan’s Biggest Virtual Virtuoso an Haute Couture Makeover

A singing Japanese hologram named Hatsune Miku has been taking the pop-music world by computer-generated storm. We asked Riccardo Tisci, the flesh-and-blood master of handmade haute couture, to dress her. Exquisiteness ensued.

Hatsune Miku is a sixteen-year-old girl from Sapporo, Japan. She has chic blue-green pigtails [...] and sings for a fan base that spikes well into the multimillions. In fact, she’s so popular that she recently had to expand her North American tour, which began on April 23 in Seattle.

Oh, one more thing: Hatsune Miku is a hologram, an avatar, designed and built with software by the Japanese media firm Crypton Future Media, Inc., as a tool for next-level crowd-sourcing. [emphasis added] Miku’s songs—thousands of which are available for purchase through her record label, Karent—are user-generated: The user writes the song, then Miku sings the song. The Mileys and Justins of the world need to step it up. This is the real millennial pop star.

A lot of articles overlook the crowd-sourced (i.e. made by fans for fans) nature of the music, so I'm always glad when they mention it.
It's a running theme of journalists saying she is a hologram. I sometimes think the writer is aware of the details, but just glosses over it and says she's a hologram for the readers. "Keep it simple, stupid" and all that.

“She’s so cool,” says Riccardo Tisci, almost breathlessly, as he stares at the beauty on an iPhone screen. Earlier in the year, Miku traveled thousands of miles to Paris (via fiber-optic cables, of course) to “meet” with the designer for a couture-gown fitting. (The photo at left was snapped two days after the Givenchy show—the girl has access!) “The outfit has multiple types of lace with some crocodile trim,” notes Tisci, “and intermittently, though you can’t see them from far away, there are individual Swarovski crystals.” The balance is electric: Miku, the technological pyrotechnic, and Riccardo, whose couture program knows no competition when it comes to handmade intricacies. Manus x machina, totally killing it. [emphasis added]

Usually florid lines like this are rubbish, but I kinda like this one.

Tisci then makes an interesting point: “It’s insane—Japan is 20, 30 years ahead of the rest of us.” If that’s the case, then perhaps Miku is a bubblegum sentry visiting our lo-fi times from whatever neon-soaked era lies ahead. [that's poetry right there!] “She is a travel guide to the future,” proclaims her creator, Crypton CEO Hiroyuki Itoh. Via email, the members of Anamanaguchi, the four-person (and actually human) band opening for Miku during her 2016 tour, say, “She is the future of pop music. We are very interested in watching fiction and reality collapse in on each other.”

Miku has opened for Lady Gaga and sung with Pharrell in a video for the artist Takashi Murakami. And at press time, she was looking at the notion of navigating her very first Met Ball (in her Givenchy stunner, of course)—or was she? “I want to ask her to be my date,” says Tisci. “But . . . let’s see what she says. She might be too busy.”

"Perhaps Miku is a bubblegum sentry visiting our lo-fi times from whatever neon-soaked era lies ahead."

sketchesofpayne

Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
Miku-994x1304.jpg
RE: A Cartoon Character Is Performing at the Anthem. What’s the Deal With Hatsune Miku?

This Japanese singer is so popular, she can play one of DC’s biggest venues—but she doesn’t actually exist. Here’s the deal with the mega-successful digital performer.

A digital pop star? What’s that?

Created by the Japanese company Crypton Future Media ten years ago, Miku is essentially audio software that lets songwriters enter melodies and lyrics, then turns them into a recording voiced by actress Saki Fujita. Over time, the Miku character blew up into an internet phenomenon.

Weird. How big of a phenomenon?

The Miku wiki page, which tracks the most popular com-positions, lists more than 1,400 tracks. But Crypton global-marketing manager Guillaume Devigne says tens of thousands of songs have been released by fans around the world. [It's actually 100,000; and what is the deal with the hyphen in the word "compositions?"]

She’s just a voice, though. How can Miku perform live?

Anime artist Kei Garou created a teal-haired schoolgirl character to go with the voice. On tour, she’s brought to life as a hologram and backed by a live band. The songs are selected from user-generated tracks posted online. Want to hear your Miku tune performed by the actual (virtual) singer onstage? Better get to work.

Catch Hatsune Miku at the Anthem on July 12. Tickets range from $50 to $155.

I want to complain, but honestly it's not too bad for such a brief article. Although calling her a "cartoon character" makes me wince.

Last edited:

sketchesofpayne

Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
Hatsune3.png
FROM: The Ranger, Amarillo College Newspaper February 2016
RE: Hatsune Miku Takes Over

You’re standing waiting for the performer to walk on stage. The band comes out and sets up, but no performer is in sight. A burst of magic dust and a virtual idol appears. She breaks into song and dance while the band plays in the background. The crowd goes wild for a performer who’s not really there.
The virtual idol is known as Hatsune Miku, one of Japan’s biggest pop stars. Miku is a 16-year-old pop star who never ages. She doesn’t have a physical presence or voice of her own. She’s the visual representation of a “Vocaloid,” a software that synthesizes vocals from a pre-recorded voice bank to mimic actual human singing. Miku’s vocals are provided by anime voice actor Saki Fujita. With the Vocaloid software, people can make Miku sing any song they desire or make new songs of their own.

Wow, someone who knows what they're talking about. The bit about her never aging is often overlooked. Regular idol careers are on a ticking clock and eventually they have to retire from the gig or change to a more mature image as a vocalist/singer. Maybe go on as more of a TV personality.

What attracts me to Hatsune Miku? Well, her music isn’t made by huge record labels that write most of today’s pop music. Her music comes from fans who create their own songs. From hard-hitting rock to catchy pop songs Miku isn’t stuck to a single genre. Hatsune Miku’s creators, Crypton Future Media, design her that way so fans have control over her music, personality and even her appearance. While music is created for her, it doesn’t belong to Miku or Crypton, only the creator owns it.

I keep harping on this point, but the fan-created nature of Miku's songs and Vocaloid is of paramount importance. It's what gives it longevity and variety. It is the primary thing that has kept me invested for 13+ years.

Many Japanese creators have made names for themselves like Dixie Flatline, Supercell and CircusP to name a few. As the software has become more widely recognized, some have even gotten record deals in Japan. Her voice is unique. Once you hear it, you know it’s her. Miku sings in both English and Japanese. The voice sounds synthetic and robotic without any tuning. But with proper tuning, her voice sounds like her voice provider auto tuned. Word pronunciation sounds clear and at times it sounds realistic. Her voice fits many songs, but her voice truly shines in techno, rock and pop songs with instrumentals that complement her. [A heavily auto-tuned vocalist has always been how I've felt Vocaloid sounded.]

My gripe with her voice, at times, is when she hits high notes. [Mine too] The sound gets to a high pitch that makes me lower the volume of the song. When it’s low-pitched, it’s a little hard at times to make out lyrics. Her English sounds good when not singing, but once she sings, the heavy Japanese accent plagues her voice making it hard to understand. Her voice isn’t perfect, but it’s far better than AI voices like Siri who [are] hard to understand. Since she is Japanese, you’re probably asking, “Why is she relevant in the west?”

Hatsune Miku has a huge following worldwide and has many fans, including myself, in North America. Her exposure started in 2012 with Toyota using her in a set of commercials to promote the Corolla cars. In 2014, Lady Gaga announced that Miku would be an opening act for her tour. In the same year, she appeared on the late show with David Letterman to promote her art show in New York. With these appearances, she got a huge exposure to many Americans. This year she is having a North American tour hitting major cities, including Dallas on May 14. Many can experience her virtual show.

The Toyota commercials, opening for Lady Gaga, and appearance on Letterman have been largely irrelevant to the fans in the long run. They have been critical, I think, in her perception outside of the fanbase. I think it also dispels many peoples' inclination to dismiss it as a "kids thing."

In an industry where many record labels are trying to make the next big thing, Hatsune Miku stands out and shines. If you are bored or want to find some new music, I highly recommend you check her out. With her unique presentation and voice, it’s hard not to check out her music. The massive support of her songs and fan art keeps the virtual idol fresh and interesting. With no huge TMZ scandals or tabloid news, Hatsune Miku can keep on going without the hassle many real world artists face.

I personally have valued the fact that Miku can't be the subject of scandals, from a weekend bender or making a huge social or political faux pas in the media. She doesn't get involved in rants on social media. She doesn't make irresponsible or purchases. And no matter how many depictions there are of her, her core, positive image remains.

I've had things I love ruined in the past by people or companies questionable behavior/decisions. Things that have made me not want to support them anymore. Or felt that they have contempt for the fans or customers.

Reactions: TheStarPalace

sketchesofpayne

Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
GettyImages-843923856.jpg
Re: Miku at Coachella

[It seriously breaks my heart that this was cancelled!]
[All emphasis added by me]

Hatsune Miku is the most exciting addition to Coachella’s 2020 line-up

Hatsune Miku is the pop star with absolutely no ego: because she's not even a sentient human being. The latest evolution of virtual music is now playing Coachella and the way her music is made makes her the festival's most interesting choice

In the last few years – in an attempt to rectify what was seen as a famously male-heavy line-up – American music festival Coachella has brought in some of the biggest divas around to headline. There was, of course, Beychella, which became the Netflix movie (and live album) Homecoming; then there was Ariana Grande (or "Arichella") the year after and performances by Janelle Monae, Blackpink, Rosalía and King Princess among others. This year no women headline and, in fact, Coachella have brought in the anti-diva to perform: Hatsune Miku, a woman so decidedly un-egotistical that she isn’t even real at all.

Above I talked about the benefits of Miku being a virtual pop star, in that she can't become a media scandal and such. This highlights yet another benefit. Superstars with big egos can be hard to work with and disruptive. I've actually read interviews with some of the Miku band members who more or less said they enjoyed working with Miku because she is essentially a perpetually positive "person" to work with.

As an aside, the band get so used to playing with Miku they start to anthropomorphize her (as we humans do). In one instance the power went out during rehearsal. One member said that when Miku went offline it really felt like she had left the building.

[Omitted paragraph covers Vocaloid and Miku's rise to fame through online videos. How she has the Project Diva games and did the Pharrell, Lady Gaga, and Letterman appearances.]

One might think that a hologram performing at a festival is a cheap and labour intensive equivalent to bringing in a living, breathing pop star. Not so, says Devigne: “There’s a whole team who’s there to do the prep, control the visuals and if something goes wrong we have to move really quick. There’s a whole system to be able to be responsive and be able to coordinate the digital aspect with the human aspect.” The human aspect would be the band, who all have to be perfectly on time with their virtual lead singer. As it’s such a specific type of show, Crypton also have to ship the entire crew over from Japan. “It’s a pretty heavy set up, so we pretty much need to know we’re going to gather a lot of people to be able to make it.”

Miku's concerts require such proprietary equipment and operational knowledge that they have to send the entire hardware setup and crew when they go on tour. Often touring musicians will hire local stage crews and talent at locations on their tour so they don't have to bring a huge expensive entourage with them. Can't do that with Miku.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about Miku, however, is the fact that her set list is effectively the crème de la crème of the music her fans have made. Some of her most popular songs, such as "World Is Mine", were created just months after the software was released. A handful of others were curated and put into Project Diva, making them synonymous with Miku herself. “We have some high profile vocaloid creators we sometimes go to to commission songs,” explained Devigne – especially when a big tour or show is coming up. “We make a set list, inside [Crypton] we have a lot of people whose job it is to find those songs and we would then get them.” There are currently, according to Crypton, over 100,000 Hatsune Miku songs.

Crypton don’t acquire the rights to the songs – they leave those with the creators – but they do get the usage rights and adapt their arrangements for stage, which in turn gives the original creators a huge boost. “Some of the first creators who used Miku were beginners and they made their careers with Miku,” explained Devigne. Japanese band Supercell, for example, started making Miku vocaloid tracks and signed to Sony Music Entertainment Japan in 2009. “I think [Hatsune Miku] is an ambassador between the ‘read-only’ world of the 20th century, in which people were only passive receptors of culture, and a new ‘read-and-write’ world, in which people can become cultural emitters as well,” Crypton CEO Hiroyuki Itoh told The Creators Project.

In a way, it’s sort of the same as – and the inverse of – how songwriting camps are created for major stars such as Rihanna, drafting in big talent to be sequestered away and create a stream of hits. Whereas in that case talent is brought together to manifest a major talent’s singular voice, Hatsune Miku is the collective project of thousands of people’s voices and her music is incredibly varied as a result. “J-Pop concerts sound very different from Hatsune Miku,” explained Devigne. “We don’t have a roster of people who are recurrent on the shows. We pick the best song from 20-30 people, instead of a couple of composers making a whole set list.”

Once again covering the crowd-sourced nature of her music. As they mentioned, this makes for a very diverse set list covering many genres. I've read of one drummer who commented that touring with Miku really challenged him to develop his skills because in the past he had never had to play so many different genres in the same show.

Devigne said that many of the people you’ll find at a Miku concert are not, normally, concertgoers in the traditional sense and that the concerts differ in format to how you might be familiar with a gig going. “You’ll have participation of the audience that is maybe more organised and a certain set of rules you probably won’t find at a regular concert.” But, he says, there are also huge benefits of a virtual performer, namely the speed of it. “You go from one song to another; she does costume changes in a split second,” he explained. “Miku doesn’t take breaks.”

Coachella is no stranger to the art of the virtual performer: after all, it was there in 2012 that they brought back Tupac, the beginning of an age of morally complex decisions by companies and awards shows to bring back dead stars from Michael Jackson to Amy Winehouse, usually featuring a projection of a body double acting with the original performer’s face and vocals grafted on top. Coachella is also no stranger to "virtual artists": Gorillaz, one of the most iconic bands to not really exist, played there in 2010. But even Gorillaz was made up of a band of musicians, who played on stage while videos were projected in the back. Hatsune Miku is even more non-existent. She is, perhaps, the first time an online collective will be a performer at Coachella. Like Anonymous with better rhythm.

Filling time during breaks is sometimes troublesome at regular pop concerts. Miku can do thirty songs in a row without a problem. They talk about the Gorillaz which I have always found to be an interesting band concept. As far as bringing people back from the dead via holograms... I don't know what to think of that. I could see it going too far in the future.

She is, perhaps, more like the music being put out by Riot Games. Their supergroup K/DA performed with augmented reality software back at the League Of Legends World Championship in 2018 to make them look like they were the LoL characters they were performing as. In 2019, another supergroup – featuring Becky G and Hustlers’ Keke Palmer – did another number at the event. “There’s some really cool stuff a virtual artist can do live that a human performer couldn’t,” said Riot Games' creative lead Viranda Tantula. “We literally had Akali disappear in a magical smoke shroud in front of the eyes at our Worlds performance.

“On the other side of it, there’s that organic ability to improvise, sing and dance with raw emotion that a human performer can bring,” Tantula added, “that a virtual performer just can’t, or, at least, won’t be able to for quite some time.” Riot Games are now effectively their own record label, distributing their music in a way that takes video game scores from concert halls into pop music.

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I find the League of Legends human+virtual hybrid group to be a little uncanny. I also feel it borders on just being fanservice. Of course, I'm not into the k-pop scene, although I do understand why it appeals to people.

There are ways in which Crypton want to improve Hatsune Miku – more interactivity, more real-time control, the direction she looks – but there are other ways in which making her any more refined is not really in their interests. “In recent concerts, she’s kind of sobbing within a song and we’re having her express more human feelings, but there’s always a limit,” says Devigne. “The fact that there’s still that artificiality is a plus. It adds a different colour. If it was too perfect, it would be pretty pointless.”

I've said before, "In the beginning we loved Miku despite her flaws. Now we love Miku because of her flaws."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)