• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

How do I make voicebanks sound more powerful?

utautanightfever

Nekomura ✮ Lover
Aug 23, 2022
I don't know how to make my vocaloids more powerful in their vocals. I kinda want them to sound something like this:

I don't know if their voicebanks make a huge difference but I have Kagamine Rin, Len, and Nekomura Iroha. Thank you!

Edit: I messed up the links

Maribelle

GalacOH no she didn't
Apr 9, 2018
Higher brightness can help, In general higher dynamics will help, if you have v5 the exciter parameter helps a ton, gender can affect the tone as well usually a higher gender is a more full voice but can be softer and muffled while a lower will make a more youthful voice that can carry more power; mixing can play a huge role as well

Vector

Passionate Fan
Mar 6, 2022
As for mixing: compression and reverb! Regular human vocals sound awful when recorded too...it takes a bit of audio engineering trickery to make them sound like we're used to in music.

I'm less familiar with Utau, but Piapro or Vocaloid will output at a volume that most people would think is kind of quiet. It's intentionally giving you headroom to apply compression. Unlike some instruments (e.g. blazing sawtooth synths), the human voice has a lot of complexity to its waveform. A compressor evens those out and makes it sound louder and more powerful. (It stomps the peaks down closer to the rest, and then make-up gain raises the overall volume.) That helps a lot with the"thinness" you get by default.

Reverb is also important, because most people don't spend their time in perfectly sound-treated rooms, so it sounds uncanny to not have it.

utautanightfever

Nekomura ✮ Lover
Aug 23, 2022
Higher brightness can help, In general higher dynamics will help, if you have v5 the exciter parameter helps a ton, gender can affect the tone as well usually a higher gender is a more full voice but can be softer and muffled while a lower will make a more youthful voice that can carry more power; mixing can play a huge role as well
Thank you, I'll try this!

utautanightfever

Nekomura ✮ Lover
Aug 23, 2022
As for mixing: compression and reverb! Regular human vocals sound awful when recorded too...it takes a bit of audio engineering trickery to make them sound like we're used to in music.

I'm less familiar with Utau, but Piapro or Vocaloid will output at a volume that most people would think is kind of quiet. It's intentionally giving you headroom to apply compression. Unlike some instruments (e.g. blazing sawtooth synths), the human voice has a lot of complexity to its waveform. A compressor evens those out and makes it sound louder and more powerful. (It stomps the peaks down closer to the rest, and then make-up gain raises the overall volume.) That helps a lot with the"thinness" you get by default.

Reverb is also important, because most people don't spend their time in perfectly sound-treated rooms, so it sounds uncanny to not have it.
Thank you, this is very helpful!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)