• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Megpoid english custom dictionary

Stigbn

Aspiring Fan
Jul 21, 2018
Denmark
Hi

I just bought Megpoid English. In the installation guide it says that I have to install the custom dictionary after installation.
So I clicked the 'customdictionary.exe' - unfortunately all the instructions in that file were in Japanese. I don't know if I clicked the right button - but I think it did install something...
So how do I know if I have the custom dictionary installed? Where can I see what these custom phonetics (?) are?

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
The location of the dictionary is this:
With Gumi as the singer, in Vocaloid Editor's menu bar, go to Lyrics > User Word Dictionary > English. When you click it, there is a drop-down that says User Dictionary, where you can choose between "GUMI Eng" or like "CYBER_SONGMAN" or whatever user dictionaries are available to you. I'm not exactly sure how it works, I have Gumi English but I don't actually have the dictionary installed right now, so I haven't tested it. But this is what it should look like:
8457678279_0f8ff15ca5.jpg

Edit: I located my installer for her dictionary, but am having problems, it's not showing up in the editor. I will post again if I figure out what's wrong. Hopefully yours works right unlike mine... orz

Last edited:

Stigbn

Aspiring Fan
Jul 21, 2018
Denmark
Thanks
I only have Piapro and Vocaloid 5 editor installed on my current computer, I don't have vocaloid 4 installed (even though I have it somewhere ready to install).
I don't think this info is in Piapro (?). At least I can't find it.
And I tried in Vocaloid 5 editor (which I don't like to use...) and I haven't figured out if it is possible to get this info from this software.

But then I realised that one of my vocaloids had installed the tiny Vocaloid 3 editor - and I found it , and it shows 'Gumi eng' under dictionary, so I guess I installed it correctly. Yeaah!

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Sorry, I assumed that you were using Vocaloid 4 Editor like me for some reason, I should've thought to ask.

I ended up finding out this:
Cyber Songman's dictionary is in AppData > Roaming > VOCALOID4 > UDIC > 1 as CYBER_SONGMAN.udc (to get to this invisible folder, just search for %appdata%)
Gumi's dictionary is in AppData > Roaming > VOCALOID3 > UDC > 1 as GUMI Eng.udc

Vocaloid 5 does have a folder in AppData for Udic, but it's empty. In the V5 editor, there is no option in the menu to access any sort of user dictionary or import a new one. I was curious if this means that V5 is using a different dictionary, so I tested out Songman and Gumi English in Vocaloid 5 and found out that surprisingly, neither of them are using their custom V3/V4 dictionaries. Instead, Vocaloid 5 suggests 1 or 2 different pronunciations when you type in a word (a lot of the words I typed in were actually different from their V3/V4 dictionaries!).

Lastly, Piapro does not have a dictionary feature, unfortunately. I think if you are having trouble making a word for Gumi sound natural in Piapro, then you can find out how Tiny Vocaloid Editor 3 and Vocaloid 5 suggest to "spell" it with phonemes if you don't want to figure out your own phoneme combination.

Edit: Here's a pic:
dictionaries.png

Stigbn

Aspiring Fan
Jul 21, 2018
Denmark
Thanks again!
I guess Vocaloid 4 editor is actually the easiest option for Gumi.
But since I work in Studio One Pro with vocaloid running as a VST, I can only use either Piapro or Vocaloid 5. So I have to make i list of all the phonemes to experiment with when I'm having problems with pronounciation. But that's ok, I need to learn these phonemes anyway.

Reactions: uncreepy

static-oceans

I feel so high in the blue, blue sky
Dec 2, 2019
Gumi eng has a lot of weird problems that I'm sure her custom dictionary doesn't account for, so it's most likely not worth it to trouble yourself with it. Honestly, i didn't even know she had a custom dictionary.

This guide by @Vegetaljuce would probably end up being more help in the long run. It's a work in progress, but it already has a ton of useful information about the problems Gumi English has, and how to combat them. And from my experience working with her, I suggest experimenting with different and unorthodox phoneme choices if you found an odd pronunciation or break that isn't documented.

If you're ever stumped, feel free to shoot me a message! i can try to help out the best that i can. Gumi is an amazing sounding English vb if you put the love into her. Good luck!! ^^

Stigbn

Aspiring Fan
Jul 21, 2018
Denmark
When I bought Gumi I knew about all the problems. But I love the sound of her voice. And even without editing the phonemes, my first experiments shows me that I like her more than some other Engloids like Meiko and Miku (even though I love Miku's Japanese esp. the dark voicebank, I hate her English, except for a few songs by master-tuners). And English is not my first language (Danish is), so maybe I'm not so bothered about weird pronounciations. But I intend to experiment, and if I get into specific problems I'll ask!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)