• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Question Need Advice on Doing Tuning/Mixing Commissions

Sep 21, 2019
I’ve been thinking for a while that I’d be interested in doing tuning/mixing commissions in addition to my art commissions since illustration commission can be harder to come by, I suppose.

But I’m not sure how to handle tuning commissions since I haven’t really seen anyone else do it, and I’m not able to make MIDI/UST/VSQ/etc. myself.

Mixing commissions I think I understand how to do; someone send me their audio files and I mix them like I would any other song I’ve done.

Anyone got any advice?

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
Tuning commissions always kind of confused me, but I think in the UTAU community what they are is; someone sends you a ust and a voicebank, and asks you to pre-tune/fully the UST with the given voicebank. And I think a lot of this their main focus is on "fitting" the voicebank with the UST, but also tuning it to be expressive and whatnot.

slightly off topic -
imho tuning commissions don't really make sense to me because tuning is really the core part of the cover, and if someone else is tuning someone's cover, isn't that almost a cover commission? I understand if it's an original song someone made and they'd like someone to tune the melody for them, that I get.

I don't see very many people talk about tuning commissions so I'm curious to see what other's views are on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I've seen several people on Twitter who have tuning commissions, I think they charge per song line if I remember correctly. However, I don't actually know if people hire them or not, I would have to research a bit or ask around. (Might try when I get time.) I think if someone is well-known for having a unique tuning style, I imagine they would be in demand or in addition to turning, they also have another skill like being able to create VSQXs from ear if there isn't one available.

@Krin I have a mental list of people that I have been considering paying to tune songs for me because 1) They tune better than me, 2) I am very busy with other hobbies/real life things/higher priority things, 3) They do something special that I HATE doing (ex: Engrish or just plain normal English), or 4) I enjoy their virtual company and want to pay them for the hobby they love/are good at. I think saying someone is too lazy or they should LT2 hurts a bit/is assuming too much.

Sep 21, 2019
Thank you both for your input! I wonder how popular Engrish commission are/aren’t, because I really like doing Engrish work and never considered offering it as a service… :luka_move:

Ngl, if I wasn’t hellbent on doing everything myself, I’d totally commission someone to do the rap part of the song I’m covering! I hate trying to make vocal synths rap.:clara_ani_lili:

Reactions: uncreepy

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
@Krin I have a mental list of people that I have been considering paying to tune songs for me because 1) They tune better than me, 2) I am very busy with other hobbies/real life things/higher priority things, 3) They do something special that I HATE doing (ex: Engrish or just plain normal English), or 4) I enjoy their virtual company and want to pay them for the hobby they love/are good at. I think saying someone is too lazy or they should LT2 hurts a bit/is assuming too much.
Thank you for explaining it a bit better, I now can understand how time/irl can be an issue, that makes total sense!! Commissioning those whose tuning you admire as a way of supporting them is a way I never thought of before, I really like that idea.

(And I meant the L2T thing as joke and meant absolutely no harm, I'm sorry if that went too far. Looking back that was a little insensitive so I removed it.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)