• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Need Help With Wayback Machine

There is a fanart of Hatsune Miku, which was the first Miku image I ever saw and, unfortunately, lost, probably archived in the Wayback Machine. It was uploaded on a closed platform called Miiverse, which seems to be almost entirely archived. I just want to save image for myself.

You will need some knowledge in programming to solve this!

Detailed Info on How to Find What I'm Looking For
Artist's posts: Miiverse - しおっさん's Profile | Nintendo

This artist has actually been posting since 2013 but her posts only load until 2016. It's not like the older posts are not archived, Wayback Machine just stops loading the posts, which happens to ALL Miiverse profiles. I'm not an expert, but I think the reason is that only the HTML code is archived, not the scripts that were used by Miiverse to show more posts.

It should be something like Wayback Machine ... im_/https:// ... .cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69 ...
Here is an example by the same artist (Shiotsu-san): http://web.archive.org/web/20171102062335im_/https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69j8Xb60muA0VDx and here the according post 絵心教室 への投稿 - Miiverse | Nintendo
I know that all Miiverse image URLs begin with "WVW69" but the rest of the numbers seems to be randomized or I just don't get the pattern.

- posted in the "Art Academy Community" by Shiotsu-san, who's ID is AAA0090 ; probably in early 2015
- Japanese description
- pastel colors
- her eyes are a little smaller than the usual manga eyes
- original Miku V2 costume
- perspective: profile
- she is crying with both eyes (or just one)
- blank background
- there are some Japanese people and a guy named ARTHÚR in the comments

If you need more information about Miiverse, ask me. Thank you in advance.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I wouldn't claim to have a definitive answer, so there's definitely still hope that someone more knowledgeable might have the solution you're looking for. But I have kind of a bad feeling that you might be out of luck with the Wayback Machine.

Wayback's a little weird in what it chooses to archive. Try looking at the archived copy of VO sometime--it mostly only picks up the homepage, from the little I've poked around on it. Coverage of other pages is really spotty. I think it makes sense that Wayback couldn't load additional posts in your situation--even if it copied the script/whatever code is used to load additional posts, the site it would be calling doesn't exist anymore, so unless it had copied those posts already, there would be no way it could open them. As it happens, it looks like you've already accessed the oldest (and only?) available archive of that page, so I'm not sure how the older image would be available on Wayback.

I did notice that if you click "about this capture" on the upper right at the top, you can see what appears to be a list of all the post image URLs. Judging by the number of them, I'm guessing they're only the URLs that actually appear on that archived page. But you could go through those and see if you got lucky somehow.

There are a few things I can think of that you might try:
  1. You seem to know Miiverse pretty well. Maybe you can see some way to get additional information about the artist? If they have a link to a DeviantArt or other online property, they might have the image hosted there.
  2. If you haven't already, you could try Google image search. I did a little digging myself without any obvious luck, but you could try putting in the artist name and some other things that might narrow down the search and get lucky that way.
  3. Have you viewed the image at all recently? If so (and you haven't cleared your browser cache since then), your browser might have a cached copy of it. Try Googling how to view cached images in whatever browser you're using, and you might get lucky.
Sorry that this isn't the answer you wanted, but maybe it will be helpful anyway. Or maybe someone else will have a better idea. :)

Thanks for helping me out!
I wouldn't claim to have a definitive answer, so there's definitely still hope that someone more knowledgeable might have the solution you're looking for. But I have kind of a bad feeling that you might be out of luck with the Wayback Machine.

Wayback's a little weird in what it chooses to archive. Try looking at the archived copy of VO sometime--it mostly only picks up the homepage, from the little I've poked around on it. Coverage of other pages is really spotty. I think it makes sense that Wayback couldn't load additional posts in your situation--even if it copied the script/whatever code is used to load additional posts, the site it would be calling doesn't exist anymore, so unless it had copied those posts already, there would be no way it could open them. As it happens, it looks like you've already accessed the oldest (and only?) available archive of that page, so I'm not sure how the older image would be available on Wayback.

I did notice that if you click "about this capture" on the upper right at the top, you can see what appears to be a list of all the post image URLs. Judging by the number of them, I'm guessing they're only the URLs that actually appear on that archived page. But you could go through those and see if you got lucky somehow.

There are a few things I can think of that you might try:
  1. You seem to know Miiverse pretty well. Maybe you can see some way to get additional information about the artist? If they have a link to a DeviantArt or other online property, they might have the image hosted there.
  2. If you haven't already, you could try Google image search. I did a little digging myself without any obvious luck, but you could try putting in the artist name and some other things that might narrow down the search and get lucky that way.
  3. Have you viewed the image at all recently? If so (and you haven't cleared your browser cache since then), your browser might have a cached copy of it. Try Googling how to view cached images in whatever browser you're using, and you might get lucky.
Sorry that this isn't the answer you wanted, but maybe it will be helpful anyway. Or maybe someone else will have a better idea. :)
I didn't try "about this capture" yet, so I might be lucky.

1. Unfortunately, BECAUSE I know the artist, I know that she doesn't use other platforms, judging by her profile description and posts. She used a Wii U game with the Miiverse function implemented, so Miiverse was the #1 platform for her.

2. I will do, and with other engines too. Yandex found a lot of images for me so far. (But please DON'T give Yandex MOBILE a try because I lost many images due to it. Including this one. When you clear the download history, it cleans the download folder with its content too.)

3. I'm a Miku messi, so I'd had saved it if I saw it recently. I clear my browsers every week, so that's not gonna work.

I try the two possible options above. If I find it, I'll post it here.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
No problem. Another couple ideas have occurred to me:
  1. Wayback Machine isn't the only web archival service--there are others, although they're probably not as well known (and, as far as the ones I've tried, they don't work as well or are at least less intuitive to use). You'll find a bunch of them if you Google "alternative to Wayback Machine." You may get lucky with one of them, if they have older archives of Miiverse.
  2. I'm not entirely clear on what Yandex Mobile is. It sounds like a mobile app. If it had been on your computer, I'd have suggested checking the Deleted Items folder to see if the deletion had moved the images there, but if this is on a phone it sounds like that might not work. Unless your phone has something like a Deleted Items folder.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Sweet!
Now, I've gotta know...what was the context for this image? All the while I was looking for it, I couldn't stop thinking about the pictures they put out (before my time) of a crying Mickey Mouse and friends after Walt Disney died. Unless Miku's supposed to be happy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)