• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Requesting Assistance for my Ether Cover

Dan Gero

New Fan
Jan 4, 2023
Asanuko's Ether is one of my favorite Vocaloid songs to date, so I decided to cover it. I've run into issues with the lyrics though, and I can't figure out what they are.
This might be noteworthy to point out. I'm visually impaired and can't read print. This means I can't read Kanji like everyone else can. I am using a screen reader to read the lyrics, which utilizes text to speech. Because I have to listen to the lyrics and Kanji pronunciation through speech rather than using vision to read them, it takes a little longer for me to get the meaning of the words right. Your patience is much appreciated.
To start, Asanuko has the lyrics and the off vocal in the description of their Neco Neco upload of the song. I'm able to understand Japanese writing to a certain extent, so mostly this cover has gone OK.
Starting with the first verse though, I've noticed the lyrics don't exactly work. For example, the lyrics starting at 0:53 are ぼんやりと映る水面に (bonyari to utsuru suimen ni). I don't know if it's because they're using Miku Dark which is a little muffled, but I can't hear those lyrics at all. It sounds like she's singing (bonyari to tsuru iman ni).
The second line didn't sound right either, but I was able to look up one of the words in Jisho and get an alternative pronunciation, which helped a lot.
Now, at 1:32 is where I'm really beginning to struggle. That line apparently says 夜毎たゆたう空(うつ)ろに (yogoto tayutau sora ( utsu ) ro ni)
What on earth does this mean? I keep reading this part over and over again, and it simply does not sound like it matches up with her singing. I hear (yototo tan tan suyoni). I know she's not saying that, but I physically cannot hear anything else.
Does anyone have any advice on how I can learn the correct pronunciation of these words in this particular context? I suppose this means I need to study Japanese a lot better than I'm doing now, because I feel like things would click right into place if I was a bit more fluent. To be honest, I usually check the Vocaloid Lyrics Wiki so that I can have both Kanji and Romaji to avoid confusion, but this song isn't on the Vocaloid Lyrics Wiki at all. The song practically doesn't exist.
If anybody can help me get these lyrics right, to paraphrase the aliens from Toy Story, I'll be eternally grateful. :-)
Edit: Thought it might be a good idea to include the song itself so everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Dan Gero

New Fan
Jan 4, 2023
Here. I convert kanji to hiragana 夜毎「よごと」たゆたう 空ろ 「うつろ」に
Romanji: yogoto tayutau utsuro ni
Thank you so much; this helps a lot! Come to think of it, it makes sense, and I feel a bit silly for not getting it now. :-)

Dan Gero

New Fan
Jan 4, 2023
I'm not sure either. At 1:32 it sounds like she might be saying tan tan u tsu ro ni. I was able to find a cover of the song. Maybe hearing a human voice sing it might help you. I don't know enough Japanese to be able to help more :(
エーテル Ether /asanuko【歌ってみた/cover】YouTube · Rhya /Riku Hydrangea3 minutes, 36 secondsDec 19, 2021
I'm glad I'm not the only one to hear that. Thanks for the human cover! Sadly her gain was a little low, so I couldn't quite peace together what she was singing either, but the last poster knew the Romaji so it's all good. :-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)