• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID VOCALOID Music Pre-Hatsune Miku

sour_supreme

Aspiring Fan
hello!

i believe this is my first time posting on this forum, but i've been a member for a bit now. i was wondering if anyone had links to any music created with VOCALOIDs pre-Hatsune Miku, or before August 2007. this would include music featuring LEON and/or LOLA, MIRIAM, MEIKO and/or KAITO, or Sweet ANN. i'm especially interested in music featuring KAITO and MEIKO, i think it'd be interesting to hear what the community was up to at that point.

i do know about the song on "History of Logic System" which featured prototype versions of KAITO and MEIKO, but i was interested in music that regular users of the software created. i also know of an album that LEON was featured on that I believe was in Russian, and there was a MIRIAM album that came out during this time, yes? i don't remember that entirely.

artwork of the VOCALOIDs from this time would also be pretty cool but i'm sure that's much less likely to exist as VOCALOIDs were not really viewed as "characters", rather just synthesis programs.

anyways, i just think its interesting to look back on this era in the VOCALOID timeline as it was before it really took off and turned into the community it is today.

--

update: i found a couple of videos from niconico that are from 2007, but before August. what's weird is there is one from March that has Kagamine Rin and Len in the title, but i'm certain they were not announced (especially len) until after Hatsune Miku, plus it doesn't sound like its using VOCALOID at all so someone must have changed the video title after they'd been announced or something lol

something i'm noticing is the songs are either covers of video game music or they are original songs by indie artists. what else i find interesting is how few numbers are in those nico URLs lol its also very clear that pre-2007 MEIKO was the most popular VOCALOID (this was already known as she sold the best initially out of all V1 products) as she is most used, in fact she's in every one of these videos.

its kind of interesting how serious VOCALOID was seen in the western world compared to japan. like very few people used the software in the west as it was marketed towards professionals only, and that usage usually resulted in a full indie-electronic album. whereas in japan while the software was still marketed towards professionals, the anime-esque artwork on MEIKO and KAITO's boxarts could appeal to a much wider, more casual audience, resulting in lots of people buying them and covering their favorite video game songs or just posting experimental original compositions as opposed to full-length produced albums.

i don't know i'm rambling now but its interesting how marketing had such a big impact on what audience was reached and what they created with the software.

Last edited:

MillyAqualine

Hardcore Fan
Apr 11, 2018
Well, I do remember seeing in my early Vocaloid years some videos (that were made and released way much before I enter the fandom) that featured the V1 and all of the V2 released before Miku... But a bunch of them were really enjoyable

For example, this one is my top favourite song featuring LOLA up to this day :

There's also this cool song featuring Sweet Ann made by the amazing shu-tP

However these two were mostly from 2008-2009 =S

Reactions: Twillby

BLANAero

Watakushi, Aero de gozaimasu!
Apr 8, 2018
Montréal, Canada
Well, I do remember seeing in my early Vocaloid years some videos (that were made and released way much before I enter the fandom) that featured the V1 and all of the V2 released before Miku... But a bunch of them were really enjoyable

For example, this one is my top favourite song featuring LOLA up to this day :

There's also this cool song featuring Sweet Ann made by the amazing shu-tP

However these two were mostly from 2008-2009 =S
Wait I know this song... WAIT IT'S IN A ProjECT DIVA AD SWEET ANN IS IN PROJECT DIVA (And apparently in an other song called magical sound shower wtf)

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Two random things I just remembered:

Lola had the first vocaloid upload on NND, it was a Touhou cover.

According to the description on Piapro "Existence" by shu-t was written in 2004, although it didn't release until after Miku released.

You might find the album "Hot Stuff Dreams" interesting, which was released in 2005 and features a few songs by LEON, LOLA and MIRIAM. I discovered it earlier this year by doing a research on the circle that that released the Russian LEON album "A Place in the Sun". You can download all the tracks there for free.

By browsing the blog on their site, you can also discover an early cover of "I Feel Good" by BIG AL and a cover of a Swedish folk song by Sweet ANN.
Alexei Ustinov and his circle were pretty active on demo songs during the early Vocaloid days. Nowadays he's leading a label that is specialized on music lessons for children.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)