• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

What Would You Like to See in an UTAU Update?

Sep 21, 2019
I thought it might be fun to talk about some things that we’d like to see in a theoretical update (or overhaul) for UTAU!

Here are some things I’d like:
Phoneme editing like Vocaloid and SynthV
Waveform visualization (like how it shows you the waveform for the notes in SynthV Studio)
Built-in flag editor (I know there’s a plug-in like that, but wouldn’t it be nice if we had a Vocaloid or SynthV style parameter editor for flags?)
Native support for VSQx/VPR/s5p
Better wavtools/resamplers (the current wavtools/resamplers with the exception of moresamp tend to muddy an UTAU’s pronunciation and distort the voice a bit)

Reactions: Krin and Twillby

Twillby

Longtime Listener
Apr 8, 2018
US
What I’d like most is the ability to import instrumentals/audio files and the elimination of the need for rest notes. In other synths I like to import the original and play it along to make sure the timing’s okay, and it’d be nice to have in UTAU especially since I have a history of getting tripped up by rests when I go to edit something (hence the second part rofl). I swear I’m like the only person I know who has problems with rests like this???? Idk but it makes trying UTAU English way too scary for me lol

Sep 21, 2019
👀?? where?
I don’t have the link on hand rn, but I believe it’s but Nmasao, if that’s any help!
What I’d like most is the ability to import instrumentals/audio files and the elimination of the need for rest notes.
YES! Having the ability to import audio files would be great so I don’t have to go through heck timing things later. Also, I’d advocate for the removal of rests as well; I didn’t used to hate theme, but after how badly they messed up my last cover… yeah. Rests can go away if they know what’s good for them! Now it’s personal! :rin_lili::clara_ani_lili:

Reactions: Twillby and ___

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
the elimination of the need for rest notes. In other synths I like to import the original and play it along to make sure the timing’s okay, and it’d be nice to have in UTAU especially since I have a history of getting tripped up by rests when I go to edit something (hence the second part rofl).
Woah this is such a good idea that I totally overlooked! Rests seem pretty much useless and are also just kind of annoying to work with. Removing rests would also make adding end breaths a lot make easier in life. SynthV gets away with not using rests and so can UTAU. Rests always end up tripping me up too so Tema, I see you, I hear you.

Native support for VSQx/VPR/s5p
That would honestly be amazing. No need for vsqx to ust converters. You should be able to just import the VSQx and have it already set up (of course you'd still need to edit phonemes for VCV etc)

The dream UTAU update for me would include:

• Firstly, a NEW UI!!!! One that looks a little more appropriate in the current day lol
    • and then along with that, a layout change for how you edit notes would be cool. I liked SynthV's way of having its own tiny window on screen for note properties.

• New default resampler??
    • I'm only saying this now that moresampler's been discontinued. The current default resampler is uhhh, steaming shit lovely :mirai_ani_lili:
      [*]It would be alright if the new resampler wasn't of moresampler quality but it should at least be a fairly big step up from the 2013 one. The new one would hopefully focus on avoiding the metallic-y hell that 2013 resampler seems to carry.
      [*]I'm still very curious about the new resampler Ameya said they were working on the past year. I just wish we heard some news on that :( Still, it made me really happy that Ameya hadn't abandoned UTAU completely.

• Bring the functionality of some popular plugins into UTAU.
    • Like pitch tracer, extended envelope editor, velocity viewer, etc
      [*]Since a lot of people use and like how efficient some of these plugins are I'd think It'd be a good idea to build functions similar to those plugins into UTAU. It removes the need for constantly having to press n + <pick the plugin> while tuning.
      [*]And this might just be me but I sometimes find pitch tracer to be unstable when using massive voicebanks (or maybe that's a Kohaku Merry prob :,,( dunno). Having popular plugin features built into UTAU would make us not have to worry about relying on plugins to work with finicky ol' UTAU.

• This would probably go along with new UI/layout changes, but a better 'voicebank configurations' window.
    • First of all, add a damn search bar pls :0
      [*]As for oto-ing, the sample editor okay as is but I think it'd be cool if you could listen to the sample IN the sample editor, that way you could find where things like the consonant ends/vowel starts are exactly without having to guess just by looking at the waves. The built in frequency viewer was kind of hard for me to tell what was going on because everything looks so low-res.

• New UTAU could be OSS?
    • I have my doubts since UTAU has never been open sourced before but I think it'd be interesting to see what all the super smart UTAU-users could do with UTAU. And then share their super smart people creations with all of us :)
Other things I'd like to see in an UTAU rework:
  • Able to use multiple voicebanks at once similar to SynthV
    [*]A better phoneme editing system, i really liked V4's way of doing it.
    [*]OH!!! being able to keybind tools! I forgot this was something I really wanted before I ran out of energy typing all of the above hahaaaa. please this would be SOSOSSO wonderful.
    [*]This could also go along with UI changes but adding a dark mode for those of us who do our best tuning in the middle of the night :))
whew. yeah i'm obv not excited for the possibility of a new UTAU at all. nope not me:chika_ani_lili:

CatMoun

Phonology and voice synths are pretty much my life
Aug 14, 2020
I'm kinda losing hope it'll ever be updated. Ameya got back with amazing new features, but those features he said they were coming are just Doppeltler and F2resampler, plus a new wavtool called wavtool64.exe. It doesn't seem like he ever does want to update the software, just add new features for it.

But yeah, I think I'd wish the most is for UTAU to be re-coded as a UTF-8 software instead of ANSI. I wish I didn't have to keep changing my locale to work on the software. Plus it would be nice if they would let us build our voicebanks just like we can with DeepVocal so we could work faster on a sequence. ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)