• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

1LDK (alt. Peaches Is Starting to Go Bald from Tearing Her Hair Out)

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I can't get satisfied with this. It sounds so bad. The consonants hiss horribly and the dynamics never match up no matter how hard I try and don't even get me started on the balance issues.

I need opinions: is it worth trying to fix? Or should I put this cover out of its misery?

(It's a raw audio recording straight from the Vocaloid editor, which is part of why it sounds so unbalanced. I didn't wanna mess with trying to mix it just yet, in case I end up just having to throw the whole thing out.)

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
It's definitely worth trying to save, I'd be sad for you to throw this away after you've come so far!
I think it sounds great, the biggest problem just being that the song goes from Len's crisp, loud vocals to Oliver's softer and more muffled voice. I think once it's properly mixed it shouldn't be as harsh of a contrast.
Have you been playing with brightness at all? Raising it on Oliver and maybe lowering it on Len might even their voices out.
Also for the consonants hissing, I don't notice is that much (I can hear it on some of the Ss though). Have you messed with any parameters to try and avoid this? I thought maybe lowering the opening would work but I haven't tested it out so maybe not.

Reactions: peaches2217

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I've messed with the brightness extensively. All it does is make Oliver loud as hell and Len hardly audible, even when adjusting the dynamics. (For reference, here, Oliver's default brightness is set to 15 while it's set to max in the editor itself, while Len's is at 0 by default and at about half in the editor.) I can try to just delete all of the parameter settings again and start from scratch to try and fix it that way. I've tried XSYing Len's Power with his Cold and Serious VBs to even it out some too, but it just makes him sound muffled, and it's even worse if I try using either of those VBs on their own.

The hissing I've tried fixing by tweaking the dynamics, but it doesn't fix that issue. It just makes them hiss more quietly, but no less harshly.

I don't mean to be writing off your suggestions, so I'm really sorry if I'm coming across as snippy. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've used them together plenty before and they never sound bad, let alone this bad.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
It's alright, you don't seem snippy at all.
Really, the cover doesn't sound bad. I think perhaps you're stressing over it too much. Maybe try mixing it and seeing how that makes you feel? A good mix could fix some of the problems that are bothering you.

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
It doesn't sound bad, but that's not good enough. If it's not great, I've wasted all my time for nothing, and then what does that make me? I'm gonna try resetting all of the parameters again and see if I can fix it that way, and if not, I'll try mixing.

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Mixing's doing nothing. Compressing is doing nothing. De-essing is doing nothing. The hissing noises are so bad that, even with so much compression and de-essing that they both sound muddled to the point of being inaudible, you can still hear SSSSSHHHHHHH every freaking time they say an S-sound. I don't know what to do other than nuke the bastard and put it out of its misery. I don't want to, I've worked so hard on it, but I don't think there's any saving it at this point. Maybe it was doomed to fail from the start. I dunno.

Älfa Dröttning

Aspiring Fan
Sep 17, 2019
I can't get satisfied with this. It sounds so bad. The consonants hiss horribly and the dynamics never match up no matter how hard I try and don't even get me started on the balance issues.

I need opinions: is it worth trying to fix? Or should I put this cover out of its misery?

(It's a raw audio recording straight from the Vocaloid editor, which is part of why it sounds so unbalanced. I didn't wanna mess with trying to mix it just yet, in case I end up just having to throw the whole thing out.)

Maybe you could try v3xman’s Oliver settings and see if they make him sound stronger? I’ve never used Oliver, so I don’t really have any suggestions beyond that. This is from their cover of Hello Kitty btw.
5AF573BE-4E1D-4482-B1FC-1960CF96E57F.pngFB9BE29D-21C9-4194-9745-0591D63AE668.png

Älfa Dröttning

Aspiring Fan
Sep 17, 2019
Mixing's doing nothing. Compressing is doing nothing. De-essing is doing nothing. The hissing noises are so bad that, even with so much compression and de-essing that they both sound muddled to the point of being inaudible, you can still hear SSSSSHHHHHHH every freaking time they say an S-sound. I don't know what to do other than nuke the bastard and put it out of its misery. I don't want to, I've worked so hard on it, but I don't think there's any saving it at this point. Maybe it was doomed to fail from the start. I dunno.
Fukase’s vbs tend to have an issue with S or SH being way too loud. I usually just put a dip in the dynamics when that happens.

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
That doesn't work either. I applied those exact settings and he sounds a little clearer, but it didn't make much of a difference in context. Dipping the dynamics doesn't do anything for me here except make them not even pronounce their Ss anymore. I've fiddled around with the dynamic adjustments and they either hiss or just drop their Ss entirely. There's no in-between, no matter how small the adjustment is.

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
At this point, I'm just thinking it wasn't meant to be. Their voices work well together in softer songs, but this one's just got too much energy maybe, and that's why their voices sound so bad. Combine that with my inexperience and it was just a recipe for disaster from the beginning.

Thank you guys so much for your feedback. I'm gonna bury it in a folder somewhere, and if I ever get any better, I might revisit it. For now I just don't think I can save it.

___

Oct 8, 2019
Heey I know I'm late but I see why you were having hard time with this, it's hard to try balance Len and Oliver out in this song. Dunno if you're willing to revisit it as of right now but I think it would help to use different singer instead. Also I'm happy to see pumpkin Len vfgghjk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)