• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Advice for someone who is completely new to music? (writing, production, etc)

Noise

New Fan
Apr 29, 2021
Hullo, sorry if this isn't the right board to post questions like this (if I am please correct me). I am interested in writing/producing vocaloid music, but I know virtually nothing about it. I don't know anything about music theory, music production, programs, tuning, mixing, etc.

I feel like I have the sound of something good in my head, but I have no idea how to put those sounds on paper. I am trying to self-teach with online tutorials and the like. Music theory sounds very confusing to me, and I don't understand anything I read about notes, chords, etc. It seems very mathematical and hard to wrap the head around.

Another thing that seems daunting to me are the programs themselves- I've never been a tech-savvy person, and taking one look at a program with so many different tools and complexities is intimidating.

Because I know nothing about making music, I'm wondering if it's worth trying to learn, or if this is just another "spark" I chase only to lose interest some time later and end up having wasted a lot of time or money. How do I practice music if I don't know how to play it?

I guess I'm just looking for very basic beginner resources, things that are easy to understand then work the way up? I'd appreciate any help and advice people could give!

I also have some other misc. questions-

1. How do you know which vocaloid to choose for a specific song? How do you know which voice is perfect for what you're going for ahead of time, and if you can even tune said voice to what you're imagining in your head? Should beginners avoid certain vocaloids / start with just one?

2. How hard is music production and working with vocal synths, anyway? How long does it take to make a song by yourself on average?

3. How do you judge if your song (melody, lyrics, etc) is actually good or not?

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
I'm poor at producing too but i hope this help.

I try to answer per question.

Music theory sounds very confusing to me, and I don't understand anything I read about notes, chords, etc. It seems very mathematical and hard to wrap the head around.
Yes. I agree, But these day you can play with midi sequencer or midi editor (some of them have chord preset to get you start) that you can play around with mouse or you can download a midi elsewhere, Put a random instrument plugin and have fun. You can basically copy paste them and no one give a damn and learn what inside of it.

Another thing that seems daunting to me are the programs themselves- I've never been a tech-savvy person, and taking one look at a program with so many different tools and complexities is intimidating.
What program? if you mean D.A.W (Digital audio workstation) it's should be complex it's basically a whole workstation. But you don't need to go crazy with it. The first time since 2008 i got a used steinberg cubase 4 from ebay i use for audio editing to create a ring tone LOL for my brick nokia that's look stupid isn't ?
all i can say is... just chill... it's take a lot of time, All you need to do is spend some spare time you have. (it's not so hard actually)

Because I know nothing about making music, I'm wondering if it's worth trying to learn, or if this is just another "spark" I chase only to lose interest some time later and end up having wasted a lot of time or money.
I don't have clear answer for this. You have to sit back, relax and ask yourself also you need to have self inspiring, otherwise everything will collapse.
TBH You have to waste time (and maybe money) on things that interest you, sorry but this is the price you have to pay. You can say like aww man i can use piracy software. ofc you can do it but you still need to learn and waste time it's still a price you have to pay. But these day you can download an legally software for free and they're amazing! I can tell you that! this should save you a lot.

I guess I'm just looking for very basic beginner resources, things that are easy to understand then work the way up? I'd appreciate any help and advice people could give!
After i do a research about you quite a bit, you focus on music production the most but i am afraid that this forums might not have enough for you. if you want to know something i sure that most people willing to help you.

1. How do you know which vocaloid to choose for a specific song? How do you know which voice is perfect for what you're going for ahead of time, and if you can even tune said voice to what you're imagining in your head? Should beginners avoid certain vocaloids / start with just one?
IMO you should start with one that you have (i don't have experience with english vocaloid)
What about vocaloids to avoid.. there is no personal hate because i use it personally, I would say the Megurine Luka is not user friendly at all and tbh i'm quite regret but this is all i have so i have to work around. Even this is 2021 i'm still.....meh, But hey i got it very cheap price so no complain. (at the same time i know why it's dirt cheap lol)

If you want a very easy to use vocaloid just write couple lyrics and instant sound good.... IA it's can sing almost every genres you throw at it and have massive Optimum Range & Tempo..... unlike Luka that if i use outside of their optimum ranges it's suffering. Also high notes became thin and weak making Luka unable to go high into the octaves and making it difficult to reach a soprano style vocal ranges because luka treble range will suffer or collapse in bad case.

I personally prefer to do cover a song that fit the character of the voice or have the same or similar personality.
For the voice programming. Imagining what you like to sing in your head ..... and not abused it, Sometime you do too much that sound like you force someone to sing by put the gun on their head.

2. How hard is music production and working with vocal synths, anyway? How long does it take to make a song by yourself on average?
i don't have experience working with vocal synths, i working with singer. Usually it's take 2-4 week to start mixing depend on producer and singer
i got a stems around 5days or 1week

it's come down to personal favorite. most of the time.

Last edited:

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
Hullo, sorry if this isn't the right board to post questions like this (if I am please correct me). I am interested in writing/producing vocaloid music, but I know virtually nothing about it. I don't know anything about music theory, music production, programs, tuning, mixing, etc.
I was in the same situation as you for a long time, but a few years ago I decided to learn music production for fun, so perhaps I can help!

I feel like I have the sound of something good in my head, but I have no idea how to put those sounds on paper. I am trying to self-teach with online tutorials and the like. Music theory sounds very confusing to me, and I don't understand anything I read about notes, chords, etc. It seems very mathematical and hard to wrap the head around.
Don't worry, the music theory you need to start writing is pretty simple! As with everything there's complex, advanced theory you can delve into if you have a passion for it; but the music theory used in regular songs is very basic. Theory is also a guide rather than a rule, a lot of music composition is done by improvising, with music theory just serving for inspiration when you get stuck.

It costs money ($14.99 to be exact), but I found Hooktheory to be very a good guide for beginners. Everything is broken down into simple chunks, and formatted for people who are not familiar with sheet music, all with musical examples.

For a deeper dive, the book, Music Theory for Computer Musicians goes into all the nitty gritty of synths and complex chords; while staying simple and not relying on sheet music.

There's also Youtube tutorials like Andrew Huang's that do a pretty good job, but I assume you've already seen them. If not, give it a try!

The easiest way to remember concepts is to practice them, so don't be afraid to start composing right away. Often that's how it 'clicks'.

The art of learning what notes are in your head is called 'ear training'. I suck at it, so I find tunes by experimentation. But as I learn how different chords sound, it is naturally becoming easier.

Don't worry, this is normal for any new program. It's like moving to a new school: at first you feel lost all the time, but after you've been there for years everything feels small and familiar. Find software with a good set of up-to-date video tutorials for beginners, and start by following along with each one. The bonus is that once you've learned one piece of software, you'll be able to follow tutorials for almost any DAW, because the majority use the same general layout and language.

Because I know nothing about making music, I'm wondering if it's worth trying to learn, or if this is just another "spark" I chase only to lose interest some time later and end up having wasted a lot of time or money. How do I practice music if I don't know how to play it?
Very few (if any) musicians were born with music ability; skill is gained by listening, learning, and practising. Likewise, there's famous examples of great composers who didn't start until late into adulthood. You also don't need to learn an instrument to start composing. If you've grown up listening to music, and can hear songs you want to make in your head, you already have enough of a musical ear to start.

There's no predicting whether you'll pursue music forever or dabble in it for a few weeks; but just because a hobby doesn't become your ultimate permanent career doesn't mean it's worthless. You'll come out of the experience with a greater appreciation and understanding for something you enjoy, which can serve as inspiration for what you do next. Having knowledge of a wide range of subjects is useful for whatever you do. There's budget versions of music software - even free ones, and many trials - you can use to get started without investing any money.

When you learn music, you'll learn about range (amount of notes used) and tempo (speed of the song). Start by checking out the recommended range and tempo of the Vocaloid you're interested in, and see if they match the song you made. If you're not sure which voicetype to choose, listen to songs in a similar genre, and listen to what style of singing they used. If they sing softly, try a Vocaloid that sings softly; etc. But even experienced producers try out multiple Vocaloids on a song. There's no need to get it right first time.

To learn music production: It's a giant subject that you could spend your whole life exploring. There's an old, often debated adage that it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert in anything. It's a decent rule, because you'd definitely be rather good after that amount of time! This means, realistically, a few years of regular practice to get a solid grasp on making music. Equally, you could watch some tutorials at 2x speed, download some loops, improvise a melody and punt out of a song by next week.

To make one song: This varies massively; but I'd say most consistent producers put out songs every few months. But this isn't all producing the music, it includes the time taken to hire artists and make the music video. With some experience, you can finish a demo (an unpolished version of a song that gets the overall feel and concept across) in a day. From there, tweaking can take as long as you can stand it. I recommend not spending too long on one song as a beginner, you learn the most when you make lots of different things.

As mentioned, the most important thing is that you like it. BUT when you listen to something over and over, your ears can become 'numb' to certain mistakes. Other times you get overly focused on small flaws and don't realise your song has potential. There's two cures for this:

1. Spend a few months continuing to learn while working on something else, then come back to your first song. Your ears will be refreshed. Don't panic if you hear things you dislike in music you thought was perfect, this is a normal part of the process.

2. Get feedback from others - bear in mind they may have their own subjective preferences, but feedback in general is extremely useful. Your song will sound quite different when heard by someone listening for the first time, so they will notice things you don't. More experienced musicians can give you tips, and even someone without musical knowledge will help you understand the impression your song gives.

Every song is loved by someone and hated by someone else, so it's often easier to think of musical quality in terms of 'does this convey the feeling I want it to?' rather than 'is this good?'.

-
I hope that helps! Music is a vast subject that you could spend forever learning, but it only takes a few minutes to look up some notes and start improvising melodies. You've nothing to lose by giving it a go. :miku_ani_lili:

Last edited:

riz_lady

Extreme Sonika Enjoyer
I know I'm necroposting lol, but while knowledge of music theory is beneficial, you shouldn't be constantly trying to fit yourself into a box. Ask yourself: What is the message I want to put in these lyrics? What is the story I want to tell? What emotion do I want people to feel when hearing this song?

Write lyrics in a way that tell the story/message subtly. Don't just outright say things because that ruins the intrigue, but don't go so crazy with metaphors and aesthetic language that listeners are confused.

I'm no expert (a hobbyist at best, if I may), but I hope this helps! Good luck and have fun :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)