• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Betterloid - VOCALOID 5 & 6 Unofficial Plugin System

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
Have you ever wanted to run useful job plugins only to find out you couldn't run them since V5 ?
Have you ever wanted to see the cute face of miku staring at you while you're producing ?
Well you're in luck ! Because Betterloid 2.0 Alpha arrived !
Betterloid 2.0 is compatible with both VOCALOID5 and VOCALOID6 on Windows and works both in standalone and VST mode !
1723362631926.png

What is Betterloid?
To put it simply, it is a mod that enables plugins on VOCALOID5&6. There are two types of plugins supported :
- Startup Plugins : These plugins are activated automatically when the vocaloid editor starts. This is what the background plugin uses.
- Editor Plugins : These plugins add an option in the Plugins tab at the top of the editor. This is what the JobPlugin plugin uses.

Is it legal?
Betterloid works by replacing the Newtonsoft.Json.dll file in the VOCALOID install directory by one that loads custom code.
Newtonsoft.Json.dll is an *open source* json library that is used by vocaloid. There is nothing illegal about replacing an open source library.
The source code of the library with its license can be found here : GitHub - JamesNK/Newtonsoft.Json: Json.NET is a popular high-performance JSON framework for .NET
Betterloid also does not disable any of the anti-piracy features of VOCALOID, it is still required to purchase a valid copy from Yamaha to use the software.

How do I install it?
In order to install the Betterloid alpha with the JobPlugin plugin, you can download this zip file :

Once extracted you will have two folders. A folder named V5 and a folder named V6.
As the name implies you will need to copy the content of each folder to the appropriate vocaloid version. If you own V6 you will copy the content of the v6 folder to where VOCALOID6.exe is located, while if you own V5, you will copy the content of the v5 folder to where VOCALOID5.exe is located.
you'll be able to verify the correct install if the Plugins tab appears on top of the vocaloid editor when you start it.
Once you'll be done with it, you will have installed Betterloid as well as the JobPlugin plugin allowing you to use V3 and V4 plugins.

What about the custom backgrounds?
To enable custom backgrounds, you will need to install the background plugin that can be download here :
Releases · SeleDreams/Betterloid.BackgroundPlugin
You just need to copy the BackgroundPlugin folder inside the Plugins folder that's in your vocaloid directory after you installed betterloid. (not the content, only the folder itself, so that it ends up as Plugins/BackgroundPlugin)
Important step : You will need to start VOCALOID as administrator the first time you use the background plugin because it will create a default background config in a Backgrounds folder
You can also use the plugin Betterloid.WaveformColor to make the color of the waveform behind the notes follow the color theme of the track rather than being blue all the time : Release Betterloid.WaveformColor #8b03705 · SeleDreams/Betterloid.WaveformColor
The installation is the same as BackgroundPlugin, you drop the WaveformColor folder in the Plugins directory.

Informations for job plugin developers (Not useful for end users)
The following API functions are currently implemented, those with red crosses are NOT IMPLEMENTED and will make your plugin crash.
1723373902122.png

1723362523416.png
1723362534880.png

Attachments

Last edited:

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
I ended up finding out a bug with my plugin where basically the JSON library I am using enters in conflict with the one used by VOCALOID5
So vocaloid 5 ends up crashing when started without Betterloid when installed, I'll fix this in the next update.

Reactions: Kaleidiope

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019

I have been working on an example of a more productive plugin that I will open source, it will be useful for devs to base their code on it for their plugins, it will make it easier to learn how to make plugins this way

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
Betterloid

The phoneme conversion plugin as well as the background plugins are now available for download !

for the phoneme plugin, the way it works is by specifying the equivalent in other languages or voicebanks for phonemes, it works this way

this is an example

Code:
{
    "Name" : "Basic Japanese to English converter",
    "WordMode" : false,
    "TargetLanguage": "EN",
    "TargetVoicebank": "*",
    "PhonemeEquivalents":
        {
            "a": "V",
            "e" : "e",
            "i" : "i:",
            "o" : "Q",
            "M" : "u:"
        }
}
this converter will only work on english voicebanks and is meant to convert japanese phonemes to english phonemes.
the "*" at TargetVoicebank is meant to indicate that any voicebank is accepted, if you give the exact name of a voicebank there (the name that appears in the voicebank list of vocaloid5) it will lock this conversion file to this specific voicebank, you can also use the "*" for the language

the language codes that are supported are
"EN","JP","SP","KO","CH" (English, Japanese, Spanish, Korean, Chinese)

the WordMode is a mode where instead of matching individual phonemes, the plugin will match the entire phoneme area, it is useful in cases someone wants to make a custom dictionary of words to phonemes such as when people want to make a voicebank sing an unsupported language

EDIT : I didn't explain it properly the converter plugin will work on all voicebank types not only english however this specific example of converter file is meant for english voicebanks due to the "TargetLanguage" that is set to english

Last edited:

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
following an issue someone had with betterloid.
when installing betterloid and plugins for it, don't forget to go to the properties of the zip and unblock it, 1629470739913.png
else betterloid or the plugin won't be able to work properly

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
yeah this one
honestly I'm kind of wondering if maybe your antivirus is blocking betterloid in the background

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)