• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Getting my computer refurbished--Do I need to deactivate each of my Vocaloids first?

Hatsune-hakase

Hɐʇsnuǝ-ɥɐʞɐsǝ
Apr 8, 2018
So I'm getting my Windows 10 computer refurbished, and of course this means the hard drive will be wiped. I've already backed up my files, and I'm intending to wipe the hard drive myself before sending it out; but before I do I'd like some advice about what to do given that I have a number of Vocaloids installed and activated on this device.

Specifically, if I were to use Windows 10's built-in reset tool, will that properly deactivate and uninstall all of my Vocaloids, or should I manually deactivate and uninstall them before using the reset tool?

Move->Forward

🔹🔷🔹🔷🔹
Mar 25, 2018
I'd say deactivate them manually beforehand to be safe. You'll lose an activation if the reset tool doesn't do deactivate itself.
I'm not sure the reset tool would be designed to detect activations, licenses, etc. of software.

Reactions: Elsa12TMNT

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
VOCALOID Deactivation Tool
VOCALOID Deactivation Tool is the supporting application to help VOCALOID users deactivating VOCALOID products before doing a work described below, so that user can safely move VOCALOID license without a problem.
- Changing a work station to a new PC
- Formatting a hard disk it is installed (reinstalling the application)
- Changing the activation device
Uninstalling software is not the same as actually deactivating. Trust me, you don't want to have to contact customer service if it doesn't work right. OTL Just use the tool and deactivate your Vocaloids before resetting your computer. You can input all your Vocaloid serial numbers in at once (I save mine on a handy dandy Word document for copying and pasting), so that will help save time when you reinstall. Think of deactivating any software as sending the serial number back to the company for temporary holding before you activate it again, uninstalling just gets rid of the link to the software on your desktop and doesn't send the serial number back, to my knowledge.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I'm not sure the reset tool would be designed to detect activations, licenses, etc. of software.
Think of deactivating any software as sending the serial number back to the company for temporary holding before you activate it again, uninstalling just gets rid of the link to the software on your desktop and doesn't send the serial number back, to my knowledge.
^ These. I don't have Windows 10, but as a tool built into Windows 10, the reset tool might work for deactivating Microsoft software, but I don't think they could have made it possible for it to handle whatever licensing scheme other companies' software might have. It would need to know where the Crypton servers are and what sort of information to send them, specific stuff like that, for each piece of non-Microsoft software you might have, each of which might have its own way of handling licensing.

So definitely do be sure to use the deactivation tool to deactivate first :). And if you have any non-Crypton Vocaloids, follow whatever process they might have for the deactivation of those voicebanks, too, if necessary.

Reactions: Elsa12TMNT

Lille

Aspiring Fan
May 3, 2018
Yes, be careful with 'em! Windows 10 can be very buggy and that caution will keep you safe and one step ahead of it's weird deeds. Though, I can say that I resetted my laptop last week, through that very button you said, and it's much better than before <3 Hope it works out well :kaito_move:

So, and this works for all 'loids - packaged and download versions?

A little off-topic, but does it work for DAWs the same?
I used Studio One 3 that was bundled with Miku V4X. Can I just download it again from PreSonus and enter the serial code?
And the reset works for Windows 8.1 the same?

I haven't been online on my laptop ever since I detected a malware. Now I'm finally progressing with my Studio One projects and can finally reset it.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
So, and this works for all 'loids - packaged and download versions?

A little off-topic, but does it work for DAWs the same?
I used Studio One 3 that was bundled with Miku V4X. Can I just download it again from PreSonus and enter the serial code?
And the reset works for Windows 8.1 the same?

I haven't been online on my laptop ever since I detected a malware. Now I'm finally progressing with my Studio One projects and can finally reset it.
I would think that all the Crypton vocaloids would work the same: you'll want to deactivate them before resetting your laptop.
I'd personally recommend doing the same for Studio One--try logging into the PreSonus website and see if you can deactivate a license anywhere (on your user profile's list of products probably). If you can, deactivate before resetting your laptop.

I'm not on Windows 8, so I have no experience with its reset button itself. But assuming that it's basically like getting a new hard drive/going to a new computer, that's what I'd do.

I would think that all the Crypton vocaloids would work the same: you'll want to deactivate them before resetting your laptop.
I'd personally recommend doing the same for Studio One--try logging into the PreSonus website and see if you can deactivate a license anywhere (on your user profile's list of products probably). If you can, deactivate before resetting your laptop.

I'm not on Windows 8, so I have no experience with its reset button itself. But assuming that it's basically like getting a new hard drive/going to a new computer, that's what I'd do.
Since this is the 2nd time you mentioned especially Cryptonoids in this thread, I'm gonna ask - why? The Deactivation Tool works for every VB the same, as far as I know. I also have an AHSloid and don't remember that there was a special treatment noted, except for the customer support codes, which seem to work regardless.

@uncreepy Did you reply in a wrong thread by a chance? ;)

EDIT: Also... Is offline DEactivation a thing for VOCALOIDs or Studio One?
I know that you can activate them offline but not about deactivation.

Last edited:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Since this is the 2nd time you mentioned especially Cryptonoids in this thread, I'm gonna ask - why? The Deactivation Tool works for every VB the same, as far as I know. I also have an AHSloid and don't remember that there was a special treatment noted, except for the customer support codes, which seem to work regardless.
Only because I received the Deactivation tool with Miku, so I feel comfortable saying it'll work with the Cryptons. I would've thought activation/deactivation was more closely tied to the company selling the vocaloid than to the vocaloid software itself--activation is how companies control who has the right to use their software/keep track of who has paid for it, after all. Based on that, I wouldn't have thought that you could use it to deactivate a vocaloid from a different company.

But if you've used it successfully with an AHSloid, I guess the tool must have been made broad enough to handle multiple companies somehow. That's cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)