• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Having Listened to Over 6000 Songs, Here are 29 Playlists to Help You Explore New Vocaloid Music

sketchesofpayne

Listening to Hatsune Miku since 2007
Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com

Back in October 2020 I started seriously digging through Vocaloid songs instead of just looking at whatever YouTube's algorithm threw up. A big part of it was using VocaDB and searching for the Japanese names for songs and cross-referencing artists and genre tags. I found lots of songs new and old that I had missed over the years. I began compiling playlists loosely sorted by genre/theme/style. Seeing requests on reddit from fans having a hard time finding Vocaloid music of particular styles, I started sharing my playlists to help them out. It got quite a positive response.

From the time I started this project to now I've listened to over 3000 6000 songs. It has taken hours every day. Even so, I haven't even made a dent in the hundreds of thousands of songs out there. There's lots of Miku in the mix, but I've tried to include others as I can. I want to highlight more of them in future playlists. I'm continually adding to and curating these lists. I'm also working on new lists.

Any feedback or song recommendations are appreciated!

Last edited:

sketchesofpayne

Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
VPlaylist-Peculiar-Fascination-v2.jpg

(TLDR; These are a few songs that just caught my attention as being a bit different and interesting.)
In listening to several thousand songs you get used to certain sounds, instruments, vocal styles, compositions, etc. I don't mean this as judgement of good or bad. It's just that given enough samples trends will emerge. Every once in a while I came across a song that just struck me as different and fascinating. Some aspect of it just sounded unique compared to so many of the other Vocaloid songs I had been listening to. I thought I'd throw some of them in a short playlist for anyone interested. I'd love any feedback. Tell me which ones you like or any other thoughts you have.

(Edit: I swapped out two songs and rearranged the order a bit.)

Last edited:

sketchesofpayne

Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
I really hope people are finding good Vocaloid music that they might have otherwise not found!

It has been nearly a year since I first started putting together this playlist project. I took a bit of a break during the summer, but now I'm back into updating and curating these playlists every week. I estimate I've listened to over 6000 songs at this point (probably more).

The playlists as whole get an average of 40 people a day, listening to an average of 150 songs among them. A few of the playlists have started showing up in the YouTube search algorithm, and they're getting hundreds of views while the others get dozens. Because of this, as much as I hate to do it, I've altered the names of some of the playlists to be more likely to show up in search results. I was quite fond of the names I came up with, but I guess they were too abstract for people.

I just checked, and I'm subscribed to over 400 producers' YouTube channels. My subscription feed shows me new songs from them every day. But I try to keep branching out and looking for other music and new producers.

I have the framework for another "set" of nine playlists, but I spend so much time maintaining the current ones that I haven't gotten around to organizing the new ones. There are over 2000 songs in the currently posted playlists. I have at least another 1000 set aside that I need to organize and evaluate. Now, I've had this playlist for a while and was going to release it with a group of others. But since that keeps getting delayed, I decided to just go ahead an post it.
It's (Neo-Japanese Folk-Rock):

I listened through the list again yesterday. I like how it turned out. And of course I'll be adding to it as I find songs that fit the theme/style. As always, I try my best to mix both older and newer music, well-known and lesser-known producers, and try to make the lists varied so you don't have a bunch of songs in a row that all sound really similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)