• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

How Do You Celebrate Halloween or a Halloween-Similar Holiday?

How Do You Celebrate Halloween or a Halloween-Similar Holiday?

• Total voters
Halloween is not accepted within my orthodox family at all. I dislike Halloween anyway since I'm not into horror things.

Fun fact: In Russia Halloween is not even a holiday. The younger generations know of it from the media and occasionally even organize costume parties, but almost nobody goes so far that they would decorate their homes or streets with Halloween decoration. My grandma there never even heard of Halloween.

All I do on Halloween in Germany is throwing candy out of the window at Trick-or-Treat kids. X) There is no other way I can give them candy since the apartment house I live in is inhabited by grumpy people who never open the doors on Halloween.

Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Fun fact: In Russia Halloween is not even a holiday. The younger generations know of it from the media and occasionally even organize costume parties, but almost nobody goes so far that they would decorate their homes or streets with Halloween decoration. My grandma there never even heard of Halloween.
Hmm, that's interesting, thanks! I wonder why Halloween never spread into Russia? According to a page on History.com, it originated in a Celtic ritual, which was combined with a few Roman ones when the Roman Empire conquered Celtic territory (which likely spread the holiday beyond Celtic borders, I assume), and then was further combined with All Saints Day from Catholicism. Maybe Halloween never became a deal in Russia because it appears that the Roman empire never extended very far into Russia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Empire; larger version of the map here: File:Roman Empire Trajan 117AD.png - Wikipedia)? It's a possibility, maybe.

All I do on Halloween in Germany is throwing candy out of the window at Trick-or-Treat kids. X) There is no other way I can give them candy since the apartment house I live in is inhabited by grumpy people who never open the doors on Halloween.
Ha ha, that's nice of you, sharing candy even when you don't celebrate the holiday yourself! :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 646

Last Halloween I sat on a couch playing mario odyssey at beach kingdom.

Now I have learned that to celebrate a holiday means to enjoy the spirit & charm through the season, so it's ok if I sit on a couch on the actual day. I have been celebrating Halloween mostly in my anime club watching appropriately-themed anime

D

Discounted account

In England, it been celebrited but not as holiday. I be at home with lamp on cos trick or treaters come knocking on our door.

Reactions: mobius017

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Apr 8, 2018
???, New York
Ouch, that's rough.... You/your mom's routine sounds really cool, though.

The number of Trick or Treaters in my neighborhood has been declining for the last several years, and last year there were hardly any. So typically if the door and the blinds are closed, no one comes. But it sounds like maybe that isn't the case for you. It might be a little drastic, but I've heard of people disconnecting their doorbell for various reasons; if closed doors/windows or signs don't work, I guess you could try that, if you felt confident enough about doing it. Not sure how you do it; probably, if you take the cover off the box on your wall (the box indoors, where the sound comes from), you'll see somewhere where it's getting electricity--just unplug/otherwise temporarily disconnect it to stop the sound.

'Course, if your Trick-or-Treaters are the belligerent sort, I guess you might have to be careful about ignoring them, too....
The trick or treaters here can be a bit belligerent. lol
We did decide to give out candy this year and we might do the whole dry ice thing too. I’m hoping to dye my hair before halloween to add to the festivness. (I like the idea of taking your doorbell offline for the night. It sounds like it might take some work, but could be worth the effort.)

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
The trick or treaters here can be a bit belligerent. lol
We did decide to give out candy this year and we might do the whole dry ice thing too. I’m hoping to dye my hair before halloween to add to the festivness. (I like the idea of taking your doorbell offline for the night. It sounds like it might take some work, but could be worth the effort.)
Ooh, cool! Glad you're going to enjoy your festivities! Good luck!

I'll sure there are probably some YouTube videos/other online guides for disconnecting your doorbell, if you want them. They might not be your specific model, but I imagine doorbells are generally similar enough that your findings would be helpful.

Reactions: WyndReed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)