• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

I think some people misunderstood sand planet

Rolo

Watch Levius and Stan Natalia Cromwell
Sep 16, 2019
I saw something a little while ago that made me think of sand planet and by extension Pinocchio-P’s theme song for magical mirai because you’re here. Now honestly when I first heard because you’re here I thought it would be another “Miku is dying, you’re keeping her alive” song but I think that Pinocchio was trying to convey something deeper just like Hachi. Pinocchio, Hachi, Wowaka, Ryo, Kz and some others have all been in the game for a very, very long time. However many of them are now not doing vocaloid or rarely have anything to do with vocaloid even Pinocchio is getting more into using his own voice (as seen by his new singing persona Kudo).

So what was the message that I think they both may have been trying to express? Not the usual vocaloid is dead, it’s going to fade away scare everyone thinks. I think what they’re expressing is that many of the older producers don’t have the need for vocaloid anymore. These are not amateur producers using alias to find a way to get their music out now. These guys are professionals, making music for games, concerts, movies, etc.They can work with real singers, they’re well known so the need to use Miku as a persona or have her convey a message for them just isn’t there anymore. Even newer producers are representing the vocaloids in their work less and original characters and stories more (along the lines of Kagepro and honeyworks).

So for someone like Hachi who has seen vocaloid change, producers come and go, the vocaloid business become really more serious, vocaloid can feel like a sand planet. Even vocaloid fans have to admit the songs out now are not the same hobby fun vocaloid songs that they were. These are not passion projects, these are professionally put together works with the goal of getting recognition, of making money. Miku is a brand and crypton is treating her as such which is why they’re trying to craft a certain image of her now more than ever.

There’s also the thing that it’s hard to find a lot of producers who are staying into vocaloid for years. For onreason or another there are not many producer’s now who are sticking to vocaloid for the long term many make a few songs and do something else or stop altogether, or are newer on the scene. The vocaloid producers who were in the community for years and years are starting to decrease. This is even acknowledged by people like Wat as their whole goal of project Sekai was to revitalize the love of vocaloid and attract newer fans.

So for me what I think it comes down to is the “Vocaloid phase” mentally. Will vocaloid and vocaloid producers disappear? I do and don’t think so but the way vocaloid is, is definitely going to change and will probably be aimed at professionals more and more. For starters vocaloid will probably not exist in a year or two (in the sense of let’s be real Yamaha is done. They can do other things besides vocaloid and they definitely will). So really it’s more accurate to say vocal synths will continue but vocaloid probably will not. Of course people can and will always use the older loids even if they have to bootleg but I think those will be hobbyists and more die hard fans who do that.

Professionals looking to use vocal synths as a tool to make their music will be catered to more over hobbyists, leading to a big differences in the types of voices offered, AI, and moving away from the digital singer angle to more of a computerized human or even fictional character angle will probably start to happen, as is with Miku. And the character will begin to matter less and less, the voice will matter more. So I think yeah vocaloid is becoming a sand planet because vocaloid and the way it used to be is done, no one can be in denial about that. But I don’t think that meant Hachi or Pinocchio was saying nothing new or different would come along. Just that the songs and community people were used to isn’t coming back, and now this is my personal thought I think it’s time for vocaloid fans to finally accept that and start seeing how they fit into this new vocal synth scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheStarPalace

sketchesofpayne

Listening to Hatsune Miku since 2007
Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
So, I wasn't really active in or paying attention to the fan community in 2017-2018 when people were wearing their signs predicting "the end is near!" I was still listening to plenty of Vocaloid music during that time. I think a lot of people were just distracted by events going on. Toward the end of 2019 I started getting back into it. In 2020 I really got back into it. More so once quarantine and social-distancing started.

If you go on VocaDB, search for Hatsune Miku songs, restrict it to original songs, and sort by publish date, and then manually go through the pages (I can't seem to find any "jump to page" feature) page 337, at 10 songs per page, is where you hit August 1st, 2020. That's 3370 new original Miku songs published in the last five months. (Not even including all the other voicebanks.)

Vocaloid isn't dying. We've just been waiting for the next group of "big names" to emerge. I made a serious goal for myself to make a series of playlists to help people explore Vocaloid music, new and old. I've been going flat-out since October, listening to at least four hours of music every day. Yet I can't even begin to keep up with the new stuff or make a dent in the old stuff. I estimate that I've listened to 2500 songs so far.

I think part of it is the Vocaloid interface improving and DAW software becoming more accessible. Anyone with any musical ambition dreams of being the next Pinnocchio-P, giga, or DECO*27. If they could just get noticed among the crowd. It doesn't help that half of them only have the Japanese song titles on their videos, which tends to limit their audience. The ones getting views are largely the ones who post the title in both languages and some even post English lyrics in the video description. There are real gems that deserve more views... and there are also hundreds of mediocre songs too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)