• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

SynthV Medium⁵ Updates/Discussion Thread (Quadimension voices)

SuzakuSpectacled

Sourin and Ryuusei Luvr
May 6, 2022
It may be bc dt thinks that they’re “not up to today’s SynthV standards” as they have outdated crosslingual, no vocal modes and are generally less “natural” and “versatile.
This is most likely the case tbh, + you can't get vocal modes from STD data, and you dont have as much varied data (there's only so many ways you can tune a STD bank compared to a live vocal) since Dreamtonics is continually upgrading the engine and what synthesis it can offer, it makes no sense to put out a product that can't evolve with the engine. It'd be like trying to squeeze blood from a stone and sooner or later (and most likely sooner) there won't be the required data to pull from for the next AI upgrade.

I'm not too worried about the Medium5 characters though, while medium5 has let go of the other business ventures like the albums and the game, I'm hopeful that they'll be able to persuade the other VPs to give their consent for AI training and release more AI banks after Minus and Chiyu.

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
I love the Plus covers, but a small part of me does kind of agree with the take of "don't show us the fun new thing just to tease us if you're not gonna actually give it to us"... Not to say I wouldn't love to spring for AI banks of all the Quad std banks, but part of me doubts Quad can afford to make AI banks of them all. And of course, if only Chiyu and Minus get AI banks I will be a little sad, since my favorite Quad standards are Cangqiong and Muxin :')

mary34

Aspiring Fan
Dec 25, 2022
Damn, dt is kind of a bitch here
Gotta be honest I am partially kinda with DT on this one... Like as much as their weird "brand image" obsession annoys me, from a pragmatic standpoint plus just wasn't gonna be a good idea. Standard samples means no vocal modes for example, and like they are not a mandatory feature but like it's a very popular one so it's kind off expected nonetheless. Standard samples only also means that any and all updates that makes new recordings neccesary becomes impossible.

You could use a combination of new recordings and the old standard samples but you are going to run into quality control problems that are not only going to be a problem for DT and their "brand image" but also just the average end user. Don't get me wrong, I do think straigth up going "no u can't release this" is stupid (Dear Dreamtonics at least two thirds of your customer base are neurodivergent weeb gay young adults don't go acting like you have a "brand image" to keep up for an audience that does not give two fucks about that you dorks) but like, I'm also a bit sypathetic to that cause wasting time and money and resources to an inferior and limiting method of developing voicebanks does not sound like something I would wanna do as a developer.

And I know me calling plus inferior to full AI banks sounds mean, and I legit don't want to be but I gotta be honest most plus banks just sound like very well tuned standard banks to me. Their crosslingual does sound impressive for the training method and they don't sound bad, just not as good as they could be with new data+recordings. To make an extremely specific and slightly weird analogy Plus banks as a whole to me are the vocalsynth equalient of plating your spagetti on the plate spinning in your microwave cause you really really did not want to wash the dishes*. It kind off works but you either run out of plates and eat from your hand or have to eventually bite the bullet and do your dishes.

(*in case if you are wondering wtf does this mean, a popular hungarian comedian has a well known anecdote about doing exactly this because they hate washing dishes that much.)

That's said, I do think they should allow the release of Plus cause it's clearly differentiated from full AI banks by name already so like... no harm no foul? Seriously...

I love the Plus covers, but a small part of me does kind of agree with the take of "don't show us the fun new thing just to tease us if you're not gonna actually give it to us"... Not to say I wouldn't love to spring for AI banks of all the Quad std banks, but part of me doubts Quad can afford to make AI banks of them all. And of course, if only Chiyu and Minus get AI banks I will be a little sad, since my favorite Quad standards are Cangqiong and Muxin :')
I feel you on that one very much... Like don't twist the knife guys... :(

I wouldn't be so sure about not getting the rest of the squad's full AI yet, stranger comebacks have happened. M5's situtation is not great but not hopeless.

MillyAqualine

Hardcore Fan
Apr 11, 2018
Wondering though if they were going with AI instead of Plus, they could have turned the potential "appends" back then into vocal modes ? Though I don't remember well how vocal modes work (if it's just a matter of parameters or if it's a tone variation recorded the same way as the natural/normal tone to meet AI process)

(Because I legit want Haiyi's Aroma and fellow appended banks to occurr after all thrse years... Imagine if they released her and her sisters' UTAU prototype in the same fashion as windows 100% or simply paying a small license because I still feel those banks had potential and Aroma was such a nice original name =C )

aru ii

Your Neighborhood Tianyi Enthusiast!
Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
Gotta be honest I am partially kinda with DT on this one... Like as much as their weird "brand image" obsession annoys me, from a pragmatic standpoint plus just wasn't gonna be a good idea. Standard samples means no vocal modes for example, and like they are not a mandatory feature but like it's a very popular one so it's kind off expected nonetheless. Standard samples only also means that any and all updates that makes new recordings neccesary becomes impossible.

You could use a combination of new recordings and the old standard samples but you are going to run into quality control problems that are not only going to be a problem for DT and their "brand image" but also just the average end user. Don't get me wrong, I do think straigth up going "no u can't release this" is stupid (Dear Dreamtonics at least two thirds of your customer base are neurodivergent weeb gay young adults don't go acting like you have a "brand image" to keep up for an audience that does not give two fucks about that you dorks) but like, I'm also a bit sypathetic to that cause wasting time and money and resources to an inferior and limiting method of developing voicebanks does not sound like something I would wanna do as a developer.

And I know me calling plus inferior to full AI banks sounds mean, and I legit don't want to be but I gotta be honest most plus banks just sound like very well tuned standard banks to me. Their crosslingual does sound impressive for the training method and they don't sound bad, just not as good as they could be with new data+recordings. To make an extremely specific and slightly weird analogy Plus banks as a whole to me are the vocalsynth equalient of plating your spagetti on the plate spinning in your microwave cause you really really did not want to wash the dishes*. It kind off works but you either run out of plates and eat from your hand or have to eventually bite the bullet and do your dishes.

(*in case if you are wondering wtf does this mean, a popular hungarian comedian has a well known anecdote about doing exactly this because they hate washing dishes that much.)

That's said, I do think they should allow the release of Plus cause it's clearly differentiated from full AI banks by name already so like... no harm no foul? Seriously...

I feel you on that one very much... Like don't twist the knife guys... :(

I wouldn't be so sure about not getting the rest of the squad's full AI yet, stranger comebacks have happened. M5's situtation is not great but not hopeless.
quadimension wanted to not loose the characters' original tones, which may have been lost if they recorded a full on ai vb. A lot of old characters have gotten vbs for ai engines in the recent years, and for each one of these types of releases there's always a group of people who dislike the new vb bc the vb in their opinion doesn't retain the character's original tone.

And also some quadimension vas just didn't want to record an actual ai vb. I've heard that Cangqiong's va in particular was against recording an ai vb.

And also, while the plus vbs aren't as versatile as a full ai vb and lack some features, they are still usable. People buy vbs from other engines that have even less features than plus vbs, so i don't think them lacking all these features will scare an average synthv user so much. Also i may be misremembering things, but weren't the plus vbs supposed to be given for free to people who already had quadimension's std vbs?

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
She sounds really great!! I'm impressed. Shame she's still Taobao-only. Preorders are roughly $97 USD (pre-tax?) for anyone with a Taobao account who is interested in getting her!

Reactions: WyndReed

Maribelle

GalacOH no she didn't
Apr 9, 2018
The thumbnail looks uh questionable on the video lol mostly her face lol maybe it’s just the companies exploits ruining my mind

MillyAqualine

Hardcore Fan
Apr 11, 2018
I continue to be confused by the status of this company and am further confused by the abandonment of MINUS’s villainous aesthetic for a more traditional Stardust-esque “kind girl” outfit.
If they wanted her to become good, they should have called that one the Redemption Ark

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
You'd have to ask and see if they do digital purchases if you provide the email for the serial to go to... A forwarding service I used to use (Superbuy?) used to allow digital purchases, and they don't anymore. Your best bet might be finding someone with a Taobao account who can buy her for you.

If you have a passport, you can make an Alipay account and use that to make a Taobao account even as a foreigner! I just haven't gotten around to getting a passport yet bc who can afford overseas travel in this economy lmaooo

Reactions: WyndReed and Maxi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)