• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

morry's WIP thread (and some unfinished things)

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
you know, i have so many WIPs/unfinished things i should really show them in some form. i often get stuck on what to make next or work on, so i will share little WIPs here!

for the moment, take this Gachapoid cover. i cannot decide which mix to use...
in order of when they are played: unmastered, no VB edits -> mix v1, VB edits -> mix v2, VB edits

Do note, i dont plan to use the first one (i may post it to SC but not on YT). just wanted it for comparison! even tho it would make sense to cover a kafu song with the most funny chipmunky sounding loid, i fee like its kind of ironic to take gacha and make him sound so different in comparison lol.

vsq from tora_ouji, editted/tuned by me

not really looking for opinions on tuning. gacha is a bit funky at times and i tried to work w some of his issues best i could with VEL and OPE. still gonna be practicing on other covers w him soon!

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
i gotta work on a video for the above WIP cover still, so if anyone does have opinions on the mix i would still like to hear em! i can change things on it for a while as i have the video to do but aside from that its all final

and i will have more wips to share....lots of gachapoid. heres my current list of cover to do....
1615693810726.png

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
Mhh, I personally like “mix v1” best, though I don’t really know why I prefer it over the third 😅, they’re quite similar yet I vibe with it a bit more lol.
they are very similar! the main thing is the clarity of the vocals in the chorus area, the first one is more clear. i was definitely leaning on mix 1... i partially like the vocals blending with the instrumental but i think for this song mix 1 fit a bit more.

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
i realized i havent used this WIP thread in... a long time! i think i just kept calling my wips "done" bc i never planned to do more than the bit i did lol. but anyways.

been messing with solaria's vocal modes, and various musical songs i really wanna cover with her. wanted to try Praat again too with the pitch data since its been a while-- this cover is only lightly cleaned up. its just the pitch data and nothing else!

the song is "World Burn" from the Mean Girls musical. not sure if i will finish this one, itll take a LOT of clean up later on, but boyyyy Solaria's tone is real nice here. she gets pretty close to the original voice. i do wish i could do some proper XSY with her vocal modes on some parts though.

its a bit "wobbly" and a little off in places but hopefully i will finish this and clean it all up! im also definitely gonna try and mess with the length of consonant/vowels too as i have relized it helps a lot on some of those long notes. fun fact too- solaria could not hold new power during that very long "now"... i had to increase her loudness for it to be heard.

Last edited:

Ibis

Did someone say UTAU?
Jul 7, 2022
the time out corner
i realized i havent used this WIP thread in... a long time! i think i just kept calling my wips "done" bc i never planned to do more than the bit i did lol. but anyways.

been messing with solaria's vocal modes, and various musical songs i really wanna cover with her. wanted to try Praat again too with the pitch data since its been a while-- this cover is only lightly cleaned up. its just the pitch data and nothing else!

the song is "World Birn" from the Mean Girls musical. not sure if i will finish this one, itll take a LOT of clean up later on, but boyyyy Solaria's tone is real nice here. she gets pretty close to the original voice. i do wish i could do some proper XSY with her vocal modes on some parts though.

its a bit "wobbly" and a little off in places but hopefully i will finish this and clean it all up! im also definitely gonna try and mess with the length of consonant/vowels too as i have relized it helps a lot on some of those long notes. fun fact too- solaria could not hold new power during that very long "now"... i had to increase her loudness for it to be heard.
Wow, this cover is amazing! I made sure to listen to the original as well as your cover, and I got to say, are you sure you didn't just upload the studio recording? I mean, it's THAT good. It is still a little wobbly in places, but that is a given since it isn't finished. I can't wait to hear the finished version. Great work!

Reactions: morrysillusion

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
Wow, this cover is amazing! I made sure to listen to the original as well as your cover, and I got to say, are you sure you didn't just upload the studio recording? I mean, it's THAT good. It is still a little wobbly in places, but that is a given since it isn't finished. I can't wait to hear the finished version. Great work!
thanks! haha. she really does sound close to the original, nd consider i didnt do any extra work outside of the pitch bends, it really shows how natural the inflection of Solaria's voice is! its wild, and im excited to finish this one (hopefully)

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
so! im throwing these all in here bc theyre not gonna be shared outside of just. dumping as tests. been fucking around a lot with the vocalo change to test its limits and ill give a quick summary of what i determined:
  • clean vocals, clarity with what is being said, and an accent that won't skew the interpretation is important. all my tests were with vocals ripped using AI, which i thought were very clean, but even so their quality and even minimal bg noise wasn't good for v6! regarding accent, i didnt have too much of an issue but for example, i tried vocalo change over a singer like marina and the diamons, who heavily enunciates and exaggerates, and v6 had some odd results with how it took it, interpreting the found phonetic or missing consonants entirely.
  • it will be exact- in the sense that if you use it on another synth voice you rendered, it wont really.. improve the pronunciation (example: testing this on fukase's accented english resulted in, well. allen singing accented english).
  • sometimes is exactness on "unqiue" singers kinda makes it hard for me to feel like its actually changing much at all- perhaps im too familiar with some of the samples to not hear the original, idk. but i rendered a lot of these with Akito because i think it was *less* obvious when using the opposite gender voice. female voice on female voice, or male on male, while in their range will make them blend a lot for better or worse (mostly if your vocal quality isnt good).
  • im sure most would know this but. its important you bring voices down an octave for the males if theyre too high lol.
ok thats enough. heres all the random things i did - note that some of these sound bad. thats why i am sharing them here lol. OH and if youre thinking 'wow thats a lot of musical songs', its bc with all these being AI ripped vocals, musical voices often come out the most clean, so they were the best examples out of others i had lol. in the end i think this gives a good idea that no, you cannot get a super clean cover with AI ripped vocals unless its a very empty song and very high quality file.

Waiting in the Wings (tangled) with Akito
the original voice is quite unique with belting, and while these vocals were not the most clean (mostly at the end where more instruments came in), it still struggled with higher sounds in places where it was otherwise fine.

Just Your Problem (adventure time) with Akito (with talking parts included)
this was ripped from a youtube upload, out of curiosity on quality. it loves to warble. but like, not terrible. but i think its still very obvious, even with clean up, that this was doen off a low quality file, it misses some consonants those breaths are bad (i cut out some ear piercing breaths), as always a struggle with louder high parts.

Liquid Smooth (mitski) with Akito (short because the rest did not work lol)
a test with a busier, non-musical song. lots of issues, and i dont even give you the full thing because it *did not* work lol. but theres a bit of japanese in here too so its cool to hear how well he does both languages, i think it becomes more obvious its off of Akito when that happens.

Rather Be Me (steven universe) with Akito
arguably... the cleanest one, which again is ripped vocals.

Its Over Isnt It (steven universe) with Sarah
i was doing this with solaria, and the vocals from the original were very very clean. im kinda shocked this still worked so well, especially on the belting. i mentioned how i feel you get some of the original singer when you use the same gender voice, and Dee dee's singing is p obvious to me in parts, usually the lower parts? that maybe Sarah isnt really built for? idk.

Barbie Princess and the Pauper dialogue with Akito (Erika) & Allen (Anneliese)
i mentioned this in a status. it was mostly a joke when i put them on the ripped vocals i had for this song... and uh. well, idk. its hilarious to hear how they work on talking.

thaaaats it. all the tests worth showing. more out of curiosity and to show yall how this sounds on vocals that are not clean stems. i do think thatll deter people from wanting to recover every song in existence by slapping them on vocalo change- which is good, bc its only really cool to understand how it works. its very clearly best with clean recorded vocals (many of these had reverb of some kind and it really messes things further), which is how its advertised.

Reactions: WyndReed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)