• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Neil Young doesn't understand desktop music production

Sep 21, 2019
Okay. As someone who uses a Mac, this peeves me off. Does he know that you need to use earbuds or headphones???? To get decent audio off any computer??? And not just any earbuds, like, actual decent ones??? Also, has he actually used Fischer Price's toys?? Also, if you're gonna record professionally, it's better to go for desktop because they have more power.

Lmao. I've used both Mac and Windows PCs and the Mac wins out for better speaker quality, but I still wouldn't try to mix playing the audio out loud on laptop speakers. Also, Garageband is a good DAW; it has pretty much everything you need right there and MP3 isn't the default option, anyways. Garageband by default exports to M4a, which more HQ than MP3. If he's so concerned about "teens" (it's not just teens, anyone can make the mistake of using MP3) using MP3, then why not just be like "hey, PSA: 'don't use MP3 it messes up the audio quality'".

I don't even like this phrase, but it seems appropriate here: "OK boomer".

(Sorry if I sound rant-y.)

Reactions: peaches2217

wei wei

New Fan
Apr 13, 2018
his quote is really out of context. i've never been a fan of his music, but i understand where he's coming from.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Just from reading, I've gotta agree with @wei wei. It seems more like a dig at Apple itself than Apple users. The heading is pretty misleading I think, not intentionally, it's just a little out-of-context. Apple has a reputation, to some extent, of not caring about the quality of its products so long as it rakes in cash.

Sep 21, 2019
Just from reading, I've gotta agree with @wei wei. It seems more like a dig at Apple itself than Apple users. The heading is pretty misleading I think, not intentionally, it's just a little out-of-context. Apple has a reputation, to some extent, of not caring about the quality of its products so long as it rakes in cash.
Ah, I see. It was kind of hard to get that from the article (because it did seem out of context and also the way the article was written was kinda confusing) so I thought for sure he was trying to take a jab at “bedroom producers” who do things on their laptops. Now I kinda feel silly for writing my previous post. :yohioloid_lili:

wei wei

New Fan
Apr 13, 2018
it's not a dig at Apple or people who use Apple computers. he comes from the old school production days for analog mixing boards, reel to reel tape machines, and so forth. some people just prefer the classic analog production sound, over the digital age. like listening to vinyl records over compact discs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)